50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, everything worked out re. my "over 65 problem." Dive Dominica has a contract with Celebrity cruise lines with the age limit. As I said, Dive Dominica refered me to Dive Nature Island who had no problem with my age. Karen, the pretty owner, picked me up at the ship pier and drove me and a lady who looked older than me (at 69) to the shop in Soufriere at the southern tip of the island where I wanted to dive anyway. A short boat ride out into the caldera in their roomy catamaran with three divers and a DM. Two more were taking Rescue classes with an instructor. The caldera is a great dive site. Back to shore to pick up three more divers from another cruise ship and back to the wall. It falls from a cliff above to 1000 feet deep.
I had booked another dive through the ship at St. Lucia which was cancelled because only two of us signed up. The ship's excursion manager who was a dive instructor recommended Dive Fair Helen out of Marigot Bay. Large boat, not crowded. One of the better dives I've had in a while. Saw two new-to-me critters: a Fire Worm and a Basket Star. This shop served a meal aboard for lunch: beef, potatoes, carrots, and slaw. Great little shop.
Two dives on Curacao weren't worth the time nor money. A 2-1/2 hour boat ride each way to Mushroom Garden. I was told this was the best Curacao site. The second tank at Black Coral Garden (no Black Coral - go figure) did have a wall but nothing like Bonaire or the Caymans.
Lesson learned: If I ever go on another cruise, I will make my own dive arrangements.
Going to tour Australia in September and end with a week on the Spirit of Freedom live-aboard to the Barrier and Coral Sea Islands.

Well, here is some more happy news, for me anyway. I went to Utila, Honduras last month and took the PADI IDC with the Utila Dive Center who, by the way, had absolutely fantastic course directors and supporting staff. I successfully passed the IDC and then also successfully passed the IE. I figured that that was not too bad for an almost 62 year old! The rest of the class were younger than my youngest son, LOL!!! So now, I have achieved another of my goals in my life, to be a OWSI again. You are as old as you feel in your heart.

"My worse nightmare is waking up one day, old and grey, thinking about the things I didnt do........."

"You don't quit diving because you get old, you get old because you quit diving."-Richard Grove

Age 55
Columbus GA
Planet Ocean, GA
Most diving in Pelham AL. Coast line of CA. Cozumel MX and Bonaire
Master diver

Age 61
Dive Spots: Destin and the Gulf when I can - annual pass holder to Alabama Blue Water Adventures in Pelham
Certified: OW (SSI) summer '08. Nitrox (NAUI) Winter '08
Currently working on NAUI Advanced Diver
Dive Shop: Marcus at the Reef (only dive shop in Tuscaloosa)
Always loved the water and just got around to getting certified - wuss of a doc insisted on my taking a stress test first -
Disgusted cardiologist threw me out of his office after the stress test (that's GOOD)

A policy to not serve divers over a certain age would most likely be illegal here in the States (at least I damn well hope so). I can see a shop not allowing a diver who was in poor physical health or incompetent to dive. Most of my most difficult diving (depth, number per day, etc.) has been while I was in my late 50's and now my 60's. I'm a better diver than I was in my twenties (although obviously not in my prime physically as I was then).

Disposition: NOT grumpy!!!
Certifications: 1980 YMCA Basic; 1981 NAUI A/I; 1982 NAUI OWI #7188 but have not taught in a number of years
LDS: UnderSeas Sports, Fort Lauderdale
Diving: I love beach diving, kayak diving, and pretty much all of the reefs and wrecks off the SE Florida coast and Keys

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?

Pacific NW
Warm Water Tropics Only
Jack's Dive Locker - Kona
AOW PADI, STI TDI Nitrox

A policy to not serve divers over a certain age would most likely be illegal here in the States (at least I damn well hope so). I can see a shop not allowing a diver who was in poor physical health or incompetent to dive. Most of my most difficult diving (depth, number per day, etc.) has been while I was in my late 50's and now my 60's. I'm a better diver than I was in my twenties (although obviously not in my prime physically as I was then).

May be illegal. But, realistically, what is the diver's recourse? Not much. So, I avoid those operations as much as I can and let others know about the discrimination.

Fortunately, the neanderthals are becoming less pervasive and following generations, if they live that long, should have less problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom