50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am 52. I live and work in Hofuf in saudi Arabia (but also have a house in Cyprus). Its a 90 minute drive to our nearest dive site ar "Half Moon Bay" which is shallow but I often dive in Jeddah in the Red Sea which is relatively unspoilt.
I qualified with PADI 10 years ago and now hold various agency qualifications including BSAC 1st Class Diver and Advanced Instructor and ITDA Trimix diver.
We dont really have much in the way of dive shops out here so I get most of my gear from a well knon shop in Shefield(UK) and another in florida!

Personally, I am entertaining the thought in re-creating the log pages in my PC to fit the binder that works best for me in the way I travel. Will that work, or does the log pages have to be "blessed" by the industry?

Was in Palm Beach, Fl last weekend with a group from NC. I'm 10 years older than then next oldest, and 35 years older than the youngest. They kept saying I needed my 3mm suit to dive, but the water temp was 78-80 degrees. So, I didn't use a wet suit and was quite comfortable. Of course, I live in the Mt.s and sleep in a house over 100 years old which we keep at about 66 in the winter.
They were all such wimps about it. Complained all the time about how cold the water was!

Oh, by the way, I'm 58, was doing my 15th dive, getting certified in night and boat (was already in deep and wreck).
Robert

Personally, I am entertaining the thought in re-creating the log pages in my PC to fit the binder that works best for me in the way I travel. Will that work, or does the log pages have to be "blessed" by the industry?

A log is a log.. you may use any form you like (just make sure it has all the important stuff).

I created a spread sheet using Excel as a backup to my dive computer software normally I print my last 30 or so dives from the .xls file this is sufficient for any dive Op I have dove with and believe me I have dove with quite a variety.

I'm 53. Wife is 52. Live in West Texas.
We have dived for 30 years and used to dive all kinds of waters in lots of places. Now we just fly to Cozumel and love every minute.
Thanks for this thread. Good to see there are plenty of us old geezers out there!

So am I the old guy here? I haven't read all the post since it would take a while.
I'm 63 logged 1000+ dives since I started diving in the 70's in New England waters.
My wife was certified with me but diving wasn't for her. My kids were certified also but don't dive any more either. But my buddies I've dove with all those years are still diving with the exception of 1 or 2 of them.
I usually dive from my boat or buddies boat but took up Kayak diving (SCUBA) last year with a buddy when the gas prices were out of control.
Been diving the Keys, Bahamas, Cozumel, Crystal River, West Palm Beach, and various New England locations.
Most of my dives are at night - love those lobsters- and dive as much as I can, weather permitting this year. It seems like it's been raining for 2 months straight here.

No Lobster-Man, you're not the oldest. I'll be 70 next month, but I feel 68. One of my golfing buddies said 70 is the new 68. Made me feel better. Got certified at 50. Some years ago I was on a live-aboard with a 74 year old gentleman. Even earlier I was diving off Grand Cayman with a 74 year old woman who was there diving with her older sister. Going to Australia in September - October for over three weeks, the first two touring, the last on the Spirit of Freedom to the Barrier Reef and Coral Sea Islands. I don't use a wet suit either, but I take along a vest for extended diving.

I just want to sign in. I'm only 62 and I'm happy to see older divers still at it. My wife and I certified a little over a year ago. We're living in the Philippines and have over 50 dives apiece. I was proud of us for trying something new at that age (61: the new 50) and I'm happy to see that a lot of older people are still diving.

BTW, I built a diving log in MS Access. I wanted to be able to capture a full list of marine animals. Its a good thing, I managed to mislay our paper logs.

Last edited:
I am 55 I live in west palm beach fl diving for 1 year 110 dives as of today . .It's nice to see other people above 50 yrs diving .And they say it's a young person sport :rofl3: .That funnny look at us .I did pass my medical physical 2 days ago so my doctor told me I going to live & enjoy what I am doing .:cool3:

Back
Top Bottom