(8/19/2004) Think Someone is trying to scam my girlfriend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about this book?

SEA FEVER
The real life stories of the scientists, treasure divers, and archaeologists engged in exploring and developing man's knowlewdge of the oceans.
Robert F. Marx.
Published in 1972 by Doubleday & Co, New York.
Hardcover, dustjacket, 250 pages, mono photographs.
"An encounter with a giant moray eel; the discovery of the wreck of a bronzeage ship; experiencing nitrogen narcosis or "rapture of the deeps" - these are only three of the things that happened to the scientists, archaeologists and treasure diver's whose stories are told in this book. You'll meet people like Pablo Bush Romero (a top authority on Mexican archaeology and leader of an expedition to the Mayan remains at the Sacred
Well of Chichen-itza ), Kip Wagner (the only treasure hunter who became a millionaire through his finds), and Eugenie Clark (director of a marine laboratory and one of the world's leading authorities on sharks). But, whatever their particular interest, they share a love of seas, lakes and other bodies of water aild an overwhelming desire to probe their mysteries; a trait that seems, from the discovery of deepwater shells and other artifacts in the ancient cities of Mesopotamia to have existed in mankind foir 6000 years."
Covers the life and achievements of: Art McKee, Tom Gurr, Pablo Bush Romero, Norman Scott, Anders Franzen, Eugie Clark, Kip Wagner, Mel Fisher, Hannes Keller, Teddy Tucker, Dimitri Rebikoff, Ed Link, Peter Throckmorton, George Bass, Neal Watson, Jacques Piccard. This is an important work, although you wouldn't think so from the blurb on the front fly - 'an encounter with a giant moray, experiencing rapturs of the deep' - the publishers are directing this book to the general reader looking for sensationalism. It i s too important a work to be promoted with such drivel. Wonder why Marx doesn't mention Harry Reiseberg. This book reminds me of Terry Norton's excellent book Stars beneath the Sea, published in 1999, which is also about diving pioneers.

My point about the "professional look" of a website is this:

Everyone here seems to agree that the average high school student could have done a much better job (no disrespect to high schoolers whatsoever). So if he HAD taken that little extra step, spent a few hundred or maybe a thousand $$ on software and enlisted a local high schooler or college student to help him make a nicer looking website, why would you then suddenly trust him? Doesn't make sense. Does it mean his business is flourishing? No. Does it mean his business is anything more than a nice looking website? No. Does it mean he is respectable? No. Does it mean he has any prospects for future business opportunities with which to pay his employees? No. All it means is he did something that we all agree is very easy.

I would never EVER let me gf do anything like this. She has no diving experience and he wants her to dive in deep waters? I dont think so. If he wanted to he could of gone out and found somone who is good at scuba diving and save the money he would have to spend to "teach :07: " your gf. Hes in it for her, not a scuba diver.

Viscya:
What real business puts it's web site on aol.com?

Domain names are what $50?
Under$10.00. I get hosting for under $10 a month as well

miketsp:
and the references to Norman Scott on this page:
http://www.wsmr.army.mil/pao/VictorioPeak/vipt1.htm

The same story is covered on:
http://www.freedommag.org/english/vol18I10/pg001.htm

and he gets a mention in this mag:
http://www.northwestbooks.net/si/34803090.html

But who's to say this guy is Norman Scott. He may have looked up the name and is just using it..

My point about the "professional look" of a website is this:

Everyone here seems to agree that the average high school student could have done a much better job (no disrespect to high schoolers whatsoever). So if he HAD taken that little extra step, spent a few hundred or maybe a thousand $$ on software and enlisted a local high schooler or college student to help him make a nicer looking website, why would you then suddenly trust him? Doesn't make sense. Does it mean his business is flourishing? No. Does it mean his business is anything more than a nice looking website? No. Does it mean he is respectable? No. Does it mean he has any prospects for future business opportunities with which to pay his employees? No. All it means is he did something that we all agree is very easy.

I get your point, but the fact is he didn't spend the extra 50$ to pay a high schooler to make it look nice, which makes me think he doesn't really care about it. This just makes me think that it's a scam even more. I dont know, it just seems too fishy for me.

I would never EVER let me gf do anything like this. She has no diving experience and he wants her to dive in deep waters? I dont think so. If he wanted to he could of gone out and found somone who is good at scuba diving and save the money he would have to spend to "teach " your gf. Hes in it for her, not a scuba diver.

Well put.

<33 Jess

I think if he was going to try and execute such an elaborate scam as this he WOULD have put together a better website. He's just using his company as a line to pick up a girl. Probably harmless, but still sketchy and if it was my wife I would've been concerned as well.

Those photos on his website look like public domain stock photography from the fifties and sixties.
I've been diving since 1966 and seem to recall seeing some of those photos in books like "Let's Go Diving" and "Diving for Everyone".They used to "salt" dive spots in the Florida Keys with fake homemade pieces of eight(made in lead mold and spray painted gold!)(So the tourist divers could find "buried treasure" to show the folks back home in Utah. (I had nothing to do with this, I swear! I was just a teenager then!)
This sounds like a VANITY expedition guy. He hasn't obtained funding yet for one of his expeditions (on his website)If he's such a successful treasure hunter, why isn't he funding it himself? I wonder where his funding comes from?[sic]

Maybe some guy he gave his business card to got drunk in
a nightclub and said he was Scott? Trying to impress your girlfriend?

I've had guys I handed my business card out to hand it to others and say that they were me!

The quality of his website is irrelevent, the best scams have the fanciest websites!
OK BUD, LET'S SEE YOUR LICENSE!
He may not want a fancy website, due to resulting overbooking! The "amateur cousteau" market is quite large right now. I've been thinking of catering to it myself!

CALYPSO! CALYPSO! MON AMIS! I FOUND ZE TREASURE! SEND FALCO DOWN!

He's a player IMHO, look at his wife she looks consderably younger than him, i think he was trying for a younger model still.

i used to tell girls i was a hairdresser, it stopped me getting the 'go away' at the first chance they had (dunno why) later in the evening if they were still talking to me i would come clean. Where i came from undersea explorer would have been pushing it a bit, but you never know it might have worked :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom