(8/19/2004) Think Someone is trying to scam my girlfriend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I began reading this thread for a laugh. The header made me think someone was trying to have some fun. Once I read the original letter, I realized that it was in earnest and my interest changed.
But what I took from this reading was the feeling that I'm happy to have joined scubaboard today.
I'm sure that I will learn a lot from the message board because it seems there isn't a subject that some members won't find interesting enough to put in some real thought and research.

Tom

I did some diving in austria when I was in the army and I can safely say that there is nooooooooo way they would turn a new diver loose to do technical work in those waters. It's cold and deep as crap.

delysid:
My girlfriend is a waitress at a local sports bar. Recently someone by the name of Norman Scott gave her a card for a business called Global Explorations

http://hometown.aol.com/globeexplore2000/home.html

saying they needed scuba divers for their treasure hunting expeditions, and that they were heading to Austria soon. She said she wasn't qualified, and he said not to worry they do free training, and pay 22 dollars an hour. Now maybe I'm just paranoid but I have never heard of anything involving scuba training that was free. I told her she could not meet with this man unless I was present, and when told of this situation he became reluctant and shady. I feel this man is a scam artist. He also gave her a folder with a client list, a mission statement, and media credits, but none of these satisfy my suspicions whatsoever. has anyone heard of this man or any similar situations???

Well I took the time to lookup his phone number. Well, who is
Paul Kimball
street address not available
Alachua, FL 32615-6536
(386) 418-0311

And if you do a yellow pages lookup, No such biz on the earth in florida. This gives me the answer right away. SCAM!!!!!!!

Probably someone using a real company to get money or whatever. Read the other posts and take the advice. My favorite was have your girlfriend discuss it with his wife, but the wife may actually be fake too. Good luck.

Have you tried the guys at the deco stop? The link to it is: www.thedecostop.com
They are very knowledgeable on tech dives and who is reputable in that field. Hope this works for you.

We have a guy around here who claims to have written songs that the Eagles recorded, including "Peaceful Easy Feeling".

He hangs out at Jimmy Buffett concerts and takes pics with celebrities, then claims to know them intimately, etc.

Just another way to try and talk to girls...baffle them w/ BS... lol

What I find interesting is that there is no mention of any credentials on the website. Who is are they certified through? Is he an archeologist? If so, where did he study?
The website is too vague if they have any credibility at all....

What I find interesting is that there is no mention of any credentials on the website. Who is are they certified through? Is he an archeologist? If so, where did he study?
The website is too vague - IF they have any credibility at all....

I may have missed it, but it seems that all his exploits (stipulating that it was actually him) are from way way long ago in time. Nothing that he did 20+ years ago means that he is NOW still legitimate. People & circumstances change.

Nothing against this guy...more of a general statement.

diverchuck:
The website is too vague - IF they have any credibility at all....

It doesn't matter where his diver certification is from. Many long time divers and explorers never had any (or very little formal training. As an example, I don't think Sheck Exley ever took a cave or trimix class. There weren't any when he started doing those things. It's more than possible for some one who been doing all sorts of diving for 20+ years to just have a single certification at most.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom