A chance to own some diving history.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decompression

Instructor...seriously...
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Does anybody know what deco algorithm is used on the Edge? Better yet, does anybody have a table of the NDLs for clean 1st dive? This information would be absolutely fascinating. Maybe @100days-a-year ?

Very interesting, found the manual online https://www.divetable.info/skripte/Orca_EDGE.pdf Uses a 12 tissue modified Haldanean model modified with M-values affected by Doppler venous gas bubble analysis. Sounds a lot like DSAT, doesn't it? In general, the Orca Edge was just a little more conservative than DSAT. No idea how it handled repetitive dives.
upload_2018-4-16_17-52-22.png

Are we talking about the same computer? I still have mine and it uses a standard alkaline 9 volt.

Back in the day (long before I knew better), it was not unusual for me to make 4 deco dives in a day on air, using my Edge. Granted, they were pretty light deco dives, but still 125' ish dives, going 5 min or so into deco on the Edge. I eventually got bent doing that. The repetitive dive profiles on the edge, particularly into dives 3 & 4 were quite liberal.

@scubadada, interesting, it looks like they tweaked later versions. I'm pretty sure that my edge gave me 7 min at 130'. on a clean first dive. Also, you didn't need to stay out of the water more than about 90 min before you were given nearly the same profiles. Like I said, the subsequent dive profiles were quite liberal.

I donated mine- a very early one- to a local shop's museum years ago. It used a standard 9 volt battery- what those of us old enough to remember called "transistor radio batteries", back when transistor radios were the height of personal electronics technology.

For fun, I took my edge with me on a dive a couple of years ago with my Perdix. I sent the picture to Shearwater and they got a kick out of it!
Edge meets perdix.JPG

Back
Top Bottom