A disturbing PADI rumor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, you leave the A group anywhere from 3 to 6 hours after a dive. Leaving the A group puts you off the tables - not a repetitive dive which is the same as saying you are saturated with nitrogen at 1 ATMA. Flying after diving rules are an add on to play CYA. On one hand the tables says you are clear on the other it says since you aren't "really" clear don't fly right away. The RDP isn't the only table that recommends waiting longer to fly than the time tables indicate you are clear. They are the only table I can think of that clears you in less than 12 hours.

I'm not saying PADI's tables (RDP) are dangerous. They are being used safely by many. They are, however, too liberal for my tastes and I wouldn't use them with more conservative and safer tables availabe.

The DSAT table does use compartments longer than 60 min. They use the 60 min compartment as the controlling compartment for SI/repetative group only. I could dig up a more complete discription of exactly what they did but the idea was that the 60 min compartment was better matched to the dives typical in recreational diving. There is also detailed info available on how the table was tested.

..... then I suppose they can always 're-invent the wheel' (which they allegedly invented already)!

Aquamore
BS-AC
CMAS
SSI
NAUI
JSSADC
DLRG
PADI groupie

:wink:

First, let me say that I took the PADI IDC/IE about a month ago, and the tables are still a major part of the applicable training (OW, EAN, etc..).

That said, I also heard a rumour that Circuit City no longer sells reel to reel audio recorders!
(reminds of a rumour that my great-grandfather heard years ago about "horseless carraiges").

Seriously, PADI already has entry courses that don't require much Dive Theory at all. It only makes sense that in the long run, the tables will go the way of the slide rule. If nothing else, I could see an automated RDP for Palm Pilots being a common option to the slate. Cavers are regularly using software to compute specific profiles. What about similar software for PDAs or built right into our wrist mounted dive computers. Understanding the Theory is important, but the RDP is just a tool, not a sacred object. That tool will undoubtedly be replaced by something more convenient and at least as safe some day. Is that day today? No, but I'm pretty confident that I will be around when the change comes.

More PADI bashing? Lets pick on newbie divers while we're at it? Afterall, they're probably PADI trained, and shouldnt even be certified! (Sarcasm Intended)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom