A divers house

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller...the guy calls himself Scuba Legend,
Actually, ScubaBoard calls him a Scuba Legend because he is. Bill is one too. Those are rare here on SB.

Sam Miller...the guy calls himself Scuba Legend, and California - where recreational scuba began. Um, dude- there's a few French guys that would disagree with you. Maybe you've heard of them ?

True but even the French guys weren't the first Scuba Legends, nor were they the only or last. See:
A Brief History of Diving (before 1943) - Scroll down to Post #2, and the "The Return to Free Swimming Divers" heading.

Even the acronym SCUBA probably predates the Aqua Lung in 1943 and was coined by an American. See:
US Navy Experimental Diving Unit- Scroll down to Post #2, and the "World War II" heading.

The shells--yeah of course. There is the "official" shell collection began age 15 in 1969. And yes, they are strewn all over the house. But we are looking to move into the city--probably an apartment. So that all will have to be down-sized. Not a great feeling at all. The "scuba room" will then become our second bathroom--like in a condo or motel. Again, not very appealing. But, I'll be closer to the better dive sites and continue to rationalize.

Last edited:
Dr Sam Miller III was honoured as a Legend of Diving in Portage Quarry, Ohio in 2006, which is where I had the pleasure of meeting him. See some of the pics from the first Legends of Diving Event. Our group went diving with his son Dr Sam Miller IV on a Catalina liveaboard in 2007, and Dr Sam III had told his son, also an instructor, to keep a watchful eye over me. In 2008, I had the pleasure of visiting Dr Sam III and IV in their respective homes, and playing with the grandchildren. I think my jaw must have dropped at Dr Sam's massive library and artifacts. They took us to see the elephant seals and some unique sightseeing around their homes, and a wonderful dinner. We still keep in touch and I always love to hear Dr Sam's stories and perspectives.

You should post some pics, Dr @Sam Miller III. I'm sure the grandkids can help!
Ohio - Alec, Sam & Sam 2.jpg

Ohio - Ayisha, Alec and Sams.jpg

Ohio - Legends Sign.jpg

Ohio - Sam speaking.jpg

Ohio - Sign and Boys.jpg

Ohio - Welcome sign - web.jpg

Last edited:
For me it is wall art and books. Entryway contains a shell wreath and painting of a sailing ship coming in from the morning fog.
There is a handpainted sign of a diver with a forlorn look captioned I would rather be diving at Golera beach. Poster and steel art of orca takes up one side of the living room.
Artwork includes print of Island Packer boat leaving yhe landing cove ahead of a storm at anacapa.
Other art includes Native Alaskan orca painting, and a spray paint painting done by street artist in cozumel. Wall in dining room has five hand crafted sea stars byba local alaskan artist
. Dolphin figue made from fiberglass graces one living room wall. I got that in carpinteria. Above the bookcase is a framed certificate of appreciation for my work as a volunteer at CI NP.
America Cup painting on metal graces the wall above the stair landing.
Hallway on second level has posters from ocean artists Brandon and Melissa Cole. Sketches of Alaska shipwrecks, 3D art of reef made from recycled cans done by an artist from North Carolina, and needlepoints my mom did for me of humpback whales and sea otters while she fought a losing battle to cancer. The master bedroom has John Comers print of Refugio Beach.
Last item of note is a framed autographed copy of Zale's SPORTS Illustrated cover.
Stren about all this are dozens of books on diving, maritime history, ocean science,
A Waterman/divrrs residence

I feel embarrassed. I have 1 cupboard of gear, 2 75cmx150cmx50cm containers for the seasonal equipment and the 2 kitbags containing the gear which we are currently diving with. And a drysuit in it's bag. Some shells strewn on a table, and that's it.

Our home "decor" is mostly in the storage shelves - it seems we have more "we don't use it anymore but we might some day" gear than gear we actually use.

As well, we have many such tidings from or dives on our computers -- great wads of unsorted pictures that are "almost great except we need to sort and adjust them a little".

I bet we're not alone.

Where are you now, NetDoc? I thought you lived in the Keys...but not this week, I bet!

- Bill

Well, I live in a garage that I "turned" into a room

I build a nice bathroom inside with nice tiles shower, glass sliding doors, really nice mosaic floor tile shower.... well it's all basically a scuba equipment rinse off tank now, and freedive gear storage (I have not showered in there in over a year) -Note: I do shower!!! Just in a different bathroom.:p

Huge drawer/cabinet system in my "living room" to hold all my dive gear (which it does not fit) so I have it all hung the rest on my walls-but most my clothes that ain't hung are pretty much in a cardboard box or cheapy plastic basket.

My car even has special pads, cardboard mats and things to carry all my dive gear around.
(Tiny sports car) which has become a "permanent" fixture (rendering my back seats useless-well even more useless than they were)

It's the sad reality of a bimonthly diver.:rolleyes:

Yes I'm single duh:cool:

Back
Top Bottom