A thousand good reasons to go diving in Thailand!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reason 134: Thailand is the BEST place to try the "King of Fruits" (the Durian)!
Fresh durian, durian cake, durian ice-cream, freeze-dried crispy durian, durian cookies, chewy durian etcetera.

Reason 135: You can dive a sunken village in the Khao Sok National Park.

Do you have pictures of this? I was in Khao Sok this time last year and am kicking myself for not knowing I could do that.....

Reason 137: You can visit the yearly Phuket Blues Rock Festival at Karon Beach.
(2011 dates: 25-26 February)

Reason 138: You can participate (tonight!) in one of the oldest and nicest festivals of the kingdom; Loy Krathong.

In Thailand, Loi Krathong evolved into a ritual in which offerings are made to Mae Khongkha – the Goddess of Waters - in an expression of gratitude for providing life-sustaining water throughout the year. It is also believed that the offerings are made in an act of appeasement to beg her forgiveness for man’s carelessness in polluting the pristine water that nourishes all life.

At dusk, fresh flowers and the candles and incense sticks are placed in the krathong. The float is then taken to a waterway where the candle and incense sticks are lit and the krathong set adrift. The lighting of fireworks is then undertaken in an act of worship.

Some believe that by setting the krathong adrift, one symbolically casts away one’s grief, misery and misfortunes. Coins are also placed in the krathong as offerings.

Maybe Loy Kratong is celebrated early in Phuket but the rest of the country celebrates and the official date this year is 21st November.

Thanks Limbo!
I am far away from Phuket and shore and may be wrong with the exact date.
I should have checked online!
:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom