A thousand good reasons to go diving in Thailand!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reason 111: In some places you can eat dogs!!!

To put things into the proper perspective a vast majority of Thais and including those in Issan don't eat dog meat. With that said the best place to get dog meat is in Sakon Nakkon a border town with Laos. The Sakon Nakkonians are famous for going around Issan gatheing up strays where they will give you a plastic bucket for every dog you give them. Most dog meat is dried into a kind of jerky. :crying2:

To put things into the proper perspective a vast majority of Thais and including those in Issan don't eat dog meat. With that said the best place to get dog meat is in Sakon Nakkon a border town with Laos. The Sakon Nakkonians are famous for going around Issan gatheing up strays where they will give you a plastic bucket for every dog you give them. Most dog meat is dried into a kind of jerky. :crying2:

To clarify things even further, Sakon Nakhon is actually the province, or the name of the provincial city, and the town where most of these activities occur is Ban Tharae. Yes it is in North East Thailand (Isaan), but neither the province or the town border Laos.
Also in some areas of North Thailand similar activities prevail particularly in mountain areas where some believe dog meat helps them to keep warm during the winter, in this area I have observed dog meat being made into soup. Aroy mak mak. :D

Attatched is a picture from the said market in Ban Tharae

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 85
I am afraid you guys might now be talking many people OUT OF visiting Thailand. Remember most of the people on ScubaBoard are Westerners and your sales pitch would be most effective if aimed at them. While different cultures are great and awesome to obsirver........pictures of "puppies" being killed for people to eat may not be what many consider a vacation spot. :ijs:

Reason 114: You can go further off the beaten track and visit the spectacular Emerald Cave ("Tham Morakot") on Koh Muk (aka Koh Mook) in Trang.

Reason 115: When diving in Trang you must try to dive the "Koh Kradan Wreck" (believed to be of a 60-70 meter Japanese destroyer sunk by an air attack in 1944.

Btw: I dived it once many years ago with poor vis, ripping current and no down-line and saw nothing but a whole lot of fishnets.

Reason 116: When staying in Bangkok, no doubt getting ready for a spectacular adventure diving the Suthathip aka Hardeep (kid you not!), you can enjoy delivery in the Sukhumivt area of Ronny's NY Pizza.

They may not have the best webpage, but the Yak (sun dried tomatoes with goat cheese) Pizza is amazing. I never actually went to the pizzeria. Even if I could get in Japan it would be about 5x the price compared to BKK.

Get some peace and quiet. More magnificent Wats than you can shake a stick at.

We had planned on going to Thailand to do some medical relief work this last summer. Now it looks like we'll be in New Mexico this summer - Grand Canyon Scuba Diving - Not!

We did go to Japan (not for medical relief purposes) and I had a couple of great dives there.

Thailand does not look like it's on the books for a couple of years out and I'm bummed. I had even contacted a dive shop in Phuket where we'd go for R&R! Every time I see any information about diving Thailand - I jump right in and "dream".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom