A thousand good reasons to go diving in Thailand!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reason 162: Thai is a GREAT language and many "thab-sapps" (Thai word made out of English word) are hilarious!
eg:
i-team = ice cream
get-how = guest house
moto bye = motor bike
sen-with = sandwich

Reason 162: The fine for riding your motorbike without a helmet is only 200bt.

Reason 163. You can only be fined once per day from this offense. so keep your receipt in safe

I love this thread!

But,

Reason 158: You will learn that your idea of "hot and spicy" and the Thai people's idea of "hot and spicy" are miles apart.

I haven't yet had a really spicy dish here in the two weeks I've been here. "Thai pet pet", I keep teling them, but no luck yet :(. Oh well, I still have three more months.

I love this thread!

But,

I haven't yet had a really spicy dish here in the two weeks I've been here. "Thai pet pet", I keep teling them, but no luck yet :(. Oh well, I still have three more months.

Tip:
Avoid restaurants with a western menu and/or lots of westerns inside.
Look for a small "restaurant" with mainly Thai customers and lots of pots and pans on the counter. Ask for "keng pung pla" (aka "keng tai pla") or "keng som" and make your choice. Eat it on top of plain rice ("raat khaow")
Both these curries are traditional spicy southern Thai dishes.
One of my favorite curries is "keng prik moo", a hot and spicy curry made without coconut with small pieces of red pork meat in it. Eat it on top of rice with a fried egg....mmmmmmm arroi mak-makk!

Reason 165: The price of a cheap "helmet" (and to avoid being fined) is only 200 Baht.

It will not protect your brains very much if you get an accident but it will help to protect your wallet.

Reason 163. You can only be fined once per day from this offense. so keep your receipt in safe

Reason 165: The price of a cheap "helmet" (and to avoid being fined) is only 200 Baht.

It will not protect your brains very much if you get an accident but it will help to protect your wallet.

Reason 166: Excellent medical care is available in Thailand, and while it's much cheaper than in the West, should you bash your brains in a 'moto-bye' mishap while wearing no helmet or one of the strap-on pots sold as helmets in the markets, it's better to wear a sturdy helmet and avoid testing the emergency room care all together.

Reason 162: Thai is a GREAT language and many "thab-sapps" (Thai word made out of English word) are hilarious!
eg:
i-team = ice cream
get-how = guest house
moto bye = motor bike
sen-with = sandwich

...and then there's the 'wet coat' of Thailand where Phuket is located (west coast). One of my favorite food-related thab-sapps is 'friend fry' (French fry).

Reason 166: The Southern Big Bike Party and Charity in Phuket at Saphan Hin Public Park held during December 17-18, 2010.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom