A topic that needs to be discussed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree...I dive a lot more because I have my own gear. It's not just the cost of rental, it's the convenience of not having to make an extra 2 trips to the LDS every time you dive (I also got tanks for that reason, plus my LDS had a fill card deal that essentialy made buying like renting 10 times and keeping the tanks).

One of the things that initialy worried me about buying was the costs quoted by my LDS. A little research though showed me that you can buy new gear from real brick and mortar dive shops on-line and by doing so you can expand what's available to you (most shops only carry certain lines) and you can often find discontinued models and save bundles on equipment that is brand new and fully waranteed, but the colors have changed. This approach I was able to get my initial kit (BC/Regs/Comp/Wetsuit) for about $1,000 (the best deal my LDS could make was $1,200 for just the regs and computer because of the lines they carry).

I've got a sweet deal through my university where they lend me tanks/BC/reg/computer plus all the air I can suck for a very nominal fee, with the proviso that I can only use it on club dives organized by one of the DM students. If I had my own gear, I would definitely dive more (as a grad student, I'm busy the week *after* midterms/finals, whereas they're busy the week *of* midterms/finals, etc).

I agree completely! I was first certified 6/6/06 (gee, I wonder how that date sticks out in my mind? lol). My boyfriend at the time owned all the gear, so when we broke up I stopped diving. By Oct. '07 I had a total amount of 23 dives. I decided that I didn't want the certification to go to waste, so I went to my LDS and bought everything I needed to go diving (BCD, reg, wetsuit, fins, boots, computer, mask). Then I thought I'd better make sure I didn't waste all that money on equipment, so I planned to dive a lot to make it worthwhile. I believe it was a great investment, because I now have over 500 dives, my equipment still is in top shape, and I dive whenever I have the opportunity!

I tend to agree. To many people, the hassle of renting gear prevents them from diving as much as they may otherwise. This is particularly true in areas where weather often pops up at the last minute to preclude diving (the thought being: I have to pay 100 bucks for all this stuff and I may not get to use it).

Dive gear is a never-ending capital investment (I have 11 cylinders, two backplates, two wings, 5 regulators, a scooter, etc., and as much as I like to think otherwise, I'm likely not done), but it is well worth it when it facilitates diving regularly.

It's great to own your own equipment, but that's a lot of moolah to be spent even if one were to piecemeal them in. Not only that but for some people diving is not a way of life. They'd be happy to go underwater once in a great blue moon and there's no reason to invest in gears that will be rarely used.

It starts with that first set and the more you dive the more you seem to need but then the more you seem to dive. I have 5 bcs, 9 regs, a dozen tanks, 4 masks, fins out the wazoo even though there are only two sets I really use, lights, ordering my scooter in two weeks, and you just hate to see all that stuff stay dry.

I believe this only applies to people that reside relatively close to a dive site.

Picture a diver from a dry location that has to fly to a dive destination. Comparing renting or owning gear against airfare, lodging, meals and dive charter costs and possibly hassles should be almost nothing.

On the other extreme if a person's home is within walking distance of a beach dive, it would be a no brainer that owning gear is the way to go.

As everything in diving one size does not fit all, here too having gear or not may be the last factor for some to dive more often.

My husband and I have been accumulated dive gear for the last few decades and have it with us pretty much always, but at the same time if I find myself somewhere where there is a possibility of a special dive, not having my gear will not stop me for making the dives, if there is a way to deliver some breathable gas to my lungs and enough thermal protection I'm there. The same applies to my husband.

I divide people between divers and not divers, but I've seen within divers there are people from very different universes.

Although there is a distinct benefit to owning one's own equipment, I would remind people that there are many ways to get it. In some ways this blog sounded like an infomercial for one specific dealer, and I hope people realize there are many alternatives.

Back
Top Bottom