A tour of Meridiano 87 - filling station

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachnik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Meridiano 87 is the main tank filler on the island of Cozumel. There are a few other people/companies that fill tanks, but Meridiano gets the majority of the business.

On May 10 I visited Meridiano and was given a tour of the production area. I thought some board members might find this subject interesting.

It's important to note that I am no expert on filling operations – what I know I learned here. As you read through my notes, you can develop some obvious questions – so can I. I don't have all the answers, I'm just an average diver that was given the opportunity to tour Meridiano. This is not an exhaustive or expert report on their operation.

With the recent problems that Dive Palancar had with CO in tanks (nothing to do with Meridiano, the tanks with CO were filled by someone other than Meridiano) I decided to ask my dive operator if we could quiz Meridiano and make sure that they were doing their best to ensure the safety of our air.

The person who gave me the tour was a Spanish speaking production worker - Manuel. Fortunately I was in the company of my dive operator who speaks English and Spanish.

Meridiano has 4 compressors - two Norwalks and two Bauers. During my visit, only the Norwalks were being used. Several weeks earlier, the Bauers were in use while one of the Norwalks was being repaired.

• The two Norwalks are in their own room – they are separated from the filling station area and separated from the other two small compressors (Bauers) that were not running during my visit.
  • Air intake was in the same room as the compressors (it didn't go to the roof or to the side of the building).
  • The large Norwalks can fill 90 tanks an hour (hmm, I think that meant 'each' -Norwalk can produce enough air to fill 90 tanks an hour)
  • Filters are changed every 36 hours.
  • CO levels of the air coming out of the compressors is checked in-house every 36 hours using Draeger Tubes.
  • Meridiano has nothing like the Analox 'CO Clear'
  • Meridiano submits quarterly samples to Lawrence Factor Inc (Florida). They make a copy of the test results – on Lawrence form – available to their dive operators. I saw the test results from Lawrence dated March 8, 2010 – if I understood the report, 3 samples were submitted and tested, each had less than 1 ppm CO. I don't know the answer to the obvious questions – samples came from one compressor (?), samples came from 3 compressors (?). Incidentally, there were numerous additional test results on the report, Meridiano passed all tests.

I asked if Meridiano would be receptive to installing Analox 'CO Clear' and was told 'yes, the company would consider that'. Who knows. Separately I'll get in touch with Analox and ask them to contact Meridiano - I've already done this before.

I didn't get into the subject of VIPs and Hydro tests - one of the primary reasons being that we had spent time on this as a separate matter in the early part of 2009. I did however notice something interesting - in the receiving area, I was checking out the tanks owned by my dive operator - all had VIP labels. And then I realized that some other operator had a bunch of tanks adjacent to my dive operator's tanks - but their tanks had no VIP labels. Maybe there's a good explanation for this, I didn't ask.

Some final thoughts:
I think it's important for divers to talk this subject up with their dive operators (the topic of monitoring the quality of gas and the inspection of tanks). I've been doing this since early 2009 and believe it is producing results - but more squeaky wheels would be helpful.

Meridiano said that no other dive operators - other than my dive operator - had been pestering them about air quality, tank inspection protocol, etc. I find that hard to believe, but that's what they said. The next time you're in Cozumel, I'd recommend looking for VIP labels on your dive operator's tanks, ask the operator when they last visited Meridiano. Ask the operator for a copy of the test report from Lawrence to Meridiano. Ask the dive operator to tell you what Meridiano does to insure the safety of their air - and see if they know the answer.

Meridiano has had recent visits from other divers. Meridiano knows about the Dive Palancar mishap. They know that scubaboarders have been talking this subject up and Meridiano seems to be concerned about doing good work and maintaining a good reputation. Letting them know that you are concerned would be a good thing.

Thanks for taking time and going to tour. :thumb:
Air intake was in the same room as the compressors (it didn't go to the roof or to the side of the building).
:confused6:​
The large Norwalks can fill 90 tanks an hour (hmm, I think that meant 'each' -Norwalk can produce enough air to fill 90 tanks an hour)
Did you notice how many tanks they filled at a time? For many trips I wondered why it was so difficult to get my pony bottle filled if I delivered it after a fill shack had already ran their compressor for the morning? Then I noticed on a Roatan tour of a fill station that they did not use a nurse or holding tank, but simply ran the compressor directly filling a double row of tanks at once. I've seen stations with nurse tanks, but apparently many or most don't have them and use only the direct fill method - and the compressor must be filling a large number of tanks at once to avoid filling too few too quickly, certainly unable to fill my 1/4 size pony slowly alone.
Filters are changed every 36 hours.
Reassuring, except I've heard it before - like from Dive Palancar.
CO levels of the air coming out of the compressors is checked in-house every 36 hours using Draeger Tubes.
Before or after the filter changes?
Meridiano has nothing like the Analox 'CO Clear'
:mad:
Meridiano submits quarterly samples to Lawrence Factor Inc (Florida)
Again reassuring - and many didn't even when it used to be required by Padi, except I've heard it before - like from the Roatan station that was giving me 5ppm CO tanks.

You did a nice tour with some good questions, especially with no training. Wouldn't it be nice if Padi, DAN, or someone with the resources could send a trained inspector, but the costs would be prohibitive I am sure. Seems like still not many divers are concerned.
smilies-19039.png

Interesting comments on the VIP labels. The station should not fill tanks without current stickers and hydros, but we divers are taught to check - yet I miss that one a lot. :blush:
Meridiano has had recent visits from other divers. Meridiano knows about the Dive Palancar mishap. They know that scubaboarders have been talking this subject up and Meridiano seems to be concerned about doing good work and maintaining a good reputation. Letting them know that you are concerned would be a good thing.
Nice to hear, and I agree - the more who do has got to help. Where is Meridiano anyway?

I spent about 1/2 hour there a couple of years ago waiting for tanks to be filled. They should have been done overnight but it was the last night of Carnaval & the staff decided to party. I watched and asked (Scuba)Tony a few questions but didn't get a tour. It's a pretty impressive operation, & your info is helpful.

Larry

Just FYI: Meridiano is NOT the main tank filler on the island. That would be Lin Mar. Lin Mars pumping station is twice the size of Meridiano. I really doubt that Meridiano suppies half of the tanks as Lin Mar. The main reason being that the tanks from Meridiano are almost always light and they are impossible to deal with. After getting that "oily" taste from some tanks at Meridiano a well known instructor friend of mine went to Meridiano to get it straightened out. He went there in good faith to tell the boss that the filter might need changing. Meridiano's response was to ban the guy from using their tanks for 6 months.

I don't know what the "law" is in Mexico, but Meridiano will not fill a tank unless they have a current hydro. They do the hydro tests on our high pressure tanks and if one fails they don't just give it back, they crush it the we can have it! I presume they have the same policy for low pressure tanks.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS I and all of my kids dive the tanks from Meridiano and that is one of the few things I don't worry about

Just FYI: Meridiano is NOT the main tank filler on the island. That would be Lin Mar. Lin Mars pumping station is twice the size of Meridiano. I really doubt that Meridiano suppies half of the tanks as Lin Mar. The main reason being that the tanks from Meridiano are almost always light and they are impossible to deal with. After getting that "oily" taste from some tanks at Meridiano a well known instructor friend of mine went to Meridiano to get it straightened out. He went there in good faith to tell the boss that the filter might need changing. Meridiano's response was to ban the guy from using their tanks for 6 months.
Interesting story, Mike. Which one supplies Nitrox for the island?
I don't know what the "law" is in Mexico, but Meridiano will not fill a tank unless they have a current hydro. They do the hydro tests on our high pressure tanks and if one fails they don't just give it back, they crush it the we can have it! I presume they have the same policy for low pressure tanks.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS I and all of my kids dive the tanks from Meridiano and that is one of the few things I don't worry about
Uh, what about Visuals, Dave?

There is just very little reason for any compressor to run without an inline CO monitor with auto shutoff, yet no one on Coz has one that I know of. Cost & qualified maintenance are issues yes, but how many pennies a tank...?

Have to disagree with you here Mike - Meridiano fills at least twice as many tanks as Lin Mar and Lin Mar does absolutely no nitrox. They have a much higher capacity than Lin-Mar and from my observations are much more conscious and vigilant regarding maintenance, testing, etc. - not to mention a more professional operation to deal with on every level. Aside form the recent break down of the main compressors - I've never had trouble with them at all.

Off the top of my head, I know they (Meridiano) fills for:
Dive Paradise
Dive House
Scuba Du
Aldora
Deep Blue
Blue Magic
Blue XT-Sea
Aqua Safari
Papa Hogs
Scuba Du
Living Underwater
Careyitos

This are just off the top of my head and I know many independents also get tanks from them.

Unfortunately, Lin-Mar's response to filling other ops tanks during Meridiano's crisis was unprofessional and appalling to say the very least. He could have taken advantage of the situation, made some extra money in the short term and perhaps gained some new accounts in the long term - but he went in the opposite direction - sad if you ask me.

Unfortunately, Lin-Mar's response to filling other ops tanks during Meridiano's crisis was unprofessional and appalling to say the very least. He could have taken advantage of the situation, made some extra money in the short term and perhaps gained some new accounts in the long term - but he went in the opposite direction - sad if you ask me.
Opposite direction being...? :confused:

So, the inline CO monitor situation is the same? Meridiano is the biggest but still doesn't bother, nor does any other compressor? Is that correct?

Nice to hear that they are interested in adding them now, but these are not new inventions. Ah well, the personal CO units should be out from Analox next month. It'll be interesting to see which operators acquire them and offer their use along with Nitrox testers. I know that shipping is a challenge but I bet divers can transport them in for operators, after reviewing Customs regs.

Back
Top Bottom