about knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp:
On all the occasions I've really needed a knife in a hurry I could have done with something much bigger.
Like the time we were diving off a 70ft schooner and just as we were about to jump in the captain decided the anchor was dragging and he had to go astern as he was drifting towards the island, already close. Anyway in the confusion the dinghy painter wrapped around the prop & shaft. I was standing at one of the exits ready to jump in and when the crew member saw my 6" blade strapped to my leg he asked me to clear the prop.
So I jumped in and went down to the prop and started work. What I really needed was a hacksaw! The rope had wrapped around the shaft various times and compacted to a very high density.
On another occasion I cracked a high quality large knife when I had to use it as a lever to shift a rusted shackle on an anchor block. A crowbar would have been more appropriate.
IMHO, if you're going to carry a knife then carry something capable of multi-use and not something that would not cut wet cardboard. :wink:

We were discussing knives for DIVING, not for boating and entangling dingies. Not only do you carry a 6 inch blade, but you pack it on yor leg. We are of two different schools of diving, so there isn't really much we can agree on here. Sorry.:eyebrow:

merxlin:
Green_Manelishi:
Problems while driving? Cripes, many but I don't think a knife would help out much. If I was "car-jacked" I'd prefer a gun be available for use.

:smileysto

For a car jack, wouldn't you want a jack-knife?????? No, I'd want a fixed-blade !!! Would your gun be a car-bine?

Preferably a CAR-15A2 !!!

hi, i'm Yew
i'm Unging's friend.... nice to see your all suggestion. thank oyu very much.

i also have some question
Normally, where you attach the knife on? and why?
what is the advantage and disadvanage of attaching at that position?
do you alwasy change the attaching knife position
have you ever got problem while using the knife?
and how can you see your knife in the deep sea?

thank you... Yew

Yewy:
hi, i'm Yew

..snip..
thank you... Yew

Well I've tried a few positions but I keep coming back to the traditional one - inside right calf.
Pros:
- inside the leg it represents little risk of snagging - I put the buckles close to the sheath so on the outside of the leg there are just the smooth rubber straps.
- easily reached with either hand
- stays with me even when reboarding boats that require you to unequip in the water at the end of the dive
Cons:
- you need to get the strap tension just right. too slack and the knife slides around, too tight and you restrict your circulation leading to cramps.
- slightly increased finning resistance.

Yewy:
..snip..
..snip..

Can you clarify the question?
I know where it is by feel, even in zero vis.

thank you for all of your advise. now i have some more question .How about the corrosion of other parts of your knife? Like the sheath part or snap lock part<alternative is nylon pouch or velcro for snap lock. is it ok while diving? slack?>
i have to do more reaesrch about the corrosion resistant of all part of knife.
thanks

Yewy:
hi, i'm Yew

thank you... Yew

Safety knife is always with me on my waist web (W/BP rig). Hunting knife, when bringing one, is always on my right arm above my computer where I can see it when grabbing it or putting it back. Then I don't have to change position to get any of my knifes, which is much faster than trying to reach down to my leg. And I don't have to risk stabbing a hole in my drysuit doing it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom