about knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unging

New
Reaction score
hi everyone
Could you help me with some question?
what're your problems occur while driving?
and what kinds of knife you would like to have for solving your problem?
I have a design project of scuba knife but i'm not driving i hope it would be better to know the real information from your experience and they will a lots useful .
:blinking: thank you

unging:
hi everyone
I have a design project of scuba knife but i'm not driving i hope it would be better to know the real information from your experience and they will a lots useful .

Problems while driving? Cripes, many but I don't think a knife would help out much. If I was "car-jacked" I'd prefer a gun be available for use.

As for problems while diving my existing knives and other cutting tools solve the problems. Those problems include monofilament, rope, etc.

Howdy and welcome to SB!

Good to have you here. Click here to PM me if I can help you get started in our various forums.

:cowboy2: don

smiley-linie-009.gif

I carry two knives.. one is a steak knife I've cut so the blade is about 1.5" long. I wear this on a sheath I made of weight-belt webbing on my harness. My 2nd knife is a z-knife that I wear on my computer's wrist strap.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/tools/cutting.shtml has pictures of both.

Green_Manelishi:
Problems while driving? Cripes, many but I don't think a knife would help out much. If I was "car-jacked" I'd prefer a gun be available for use.

:smileysto

For a car jack, wouldn't you want a jack-knife?????? Would your gun be a car-bine?

unging:
hi everyone

#1 knife:
dirzone-6102b_small.jpg

Hunting knife:
shark9_small.jpg

That's it, that's that. That's all there is to it. You don't need a 2 lbs dagger to go diving.

(Now why the heck can't I post pictures in this thread??? :confused: )

It all depends on what you are planning to use the knife for..
All dive knives should be able to cut fishing line.. a hook in the blade is a good feature
If you spearfish, a slender, more pointed knife is in order
For shellfish collecting and prying, you would want a blunt tipped, thicker blade.
If you are just looking for a knife to cut line in emergencies, a small, sharp knife mounted on a bc should do the trick

thank you for all of your opinion
About the materials . I WOULD LIKE TO ASK ABOUT
Wht's about behaviors of each material< blade,handle,the function of snap lock..> ?and the way to preserve it?. How about your snap lock or the function of the knife when you attatch with your body? any problem?< likes not fitting or can't lock>?
About materials, Titanium,stainless steel ,carbon steel also the ceramics.How long they will start deterioration ? How you prevent it? I have some information from website and source of material data but i would like those things that come from all of your diving experience .Thank you very much for your sharing .It's useful

unging:
thank you for all of your opinion
About the materials .
wht's about behaviors of each material and the way to preserve it.
Likes Titanium,stainless steel ,carbon steel also the ceramics.How long they will start deterioration occur? How you prevent it? I have some information from website and source of material data but jusy would like those things that come from all of your real life in real situation of diving not because it's not just the text from book but from experience! thank you very much for your sharing .It's useful

Never mind the material! Dive knives aren't something you have to keep forever, and most likely you'll drop it and loose it now and then too. So why spend a 100 bucks on something when you don't have to? Who's telling you that you really need an expensive titanium knife for diving, except for the diving industry itself? Heck, around here a lot of divers buy a stainless carpenter's knife like the one from Mora, Sweden, and cut off the blade in a rounded shape. The holster can easily be made of some left over web pieces. The knife costs around 5 bucks...

For hunting purposes bring one more knife. One would want a small pointed blade of stainless steel. Again no need to spend a bunch of money on fancy materials. A cheap knife is expendable. Keep it simple is my advice.

(Still not able to post pics here... Darn!)

KOMPRESSOR:
..snip..
That's all there is to it. You don't need a 2 lbs dagger to go diving.
..snip..

On all the occasions I've really needed a knife in a hurry I could have done with something much bigger.
Like the time we were diving off a 70ft schooner and just as we were about to jump in the captain decided the anchor was dragging and he had to go astern as he was drifting towards the island, already close. Anyway in the confusion the dinghy painter wrapped around the prop & shaft. I was standing at one of the exits ready to jump in and when the crew member saw my 6" blade strapped to my leg he asked me to clear the prop.
So I jumped in and went down to the prop and started work. What I really needed was a hacksaw! The rope had wrapped around the shaft various times and compacted to a very high density.
On another occasion I cracked a high quality large knife when I had to use it as a lever to shift a rusted shackle on an anchor block. A crowbar would have been more appropriate.
IMHO, if you're going to carry a knife then carry something capable of multi-use and not something that would not cut wet cardboard. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom