Accepting criticisms: "You're gonna die!"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. This is a false narrative. You were not attacked. You were not called any names. You were not threatened with physical, verbal or emotional abuse. An opinion contrary to yours is not an attack. You disagreed with a possible outcome of your attitude and couched that as an attack. Once so couched, you held on to that fallacious belief like a dog on a bone and then used that bone to attack anyone who disagreed with you.

Another false narrative to defend your seeming inability to take criticisms. You can attack the idea, but not the poster. You don't seem to understand the difference.

I do it all the time. Moreover, there were no weaponized criticisms leveled at you. In contrast to the spirit of this thread, you've gone out of your way to find reasons to not accept valid criticisms.

Please show us anywhere on this forum where you have done so. It's always everyone else taking you out of context, misrepresenting you, or (gasp) attacking you. So far when anyone disagrees with you, you've become defensive and combative even. It's like you're the poster boy for not listening to others.

Next time try being nice.

For the record, this thread is NOT about you. Sure, the criticisms leveled at you were used as a preface for the premise of this thread, but this was not started to attack you or even to discuss your seeming inability to accept criticisms. It was intended as an open discussion on how to accept and benefit from all types of criticisms. You've started threads about how unfairly you feel you've been treated and that resides in Site Support. Please confine further discussion about how you've been mistreated to that thread. It's off topic and taking away from those who want to learn how to take criticisms.

Back to topic =>
All feedback, including criticisms and even "attacks", can be beneficial but only if you let them. You simply won't improve your game, whether it's posting on an internet forum or diving, without it. The mark of an elite diver is their ability to learn from their mistakes and that includes listening to all the criticisms about those mistakes. So how do open your mind and heart to accept criticisms?
  • Don't perceive or treat criticisms as a personal attack
    • Take a deep breath
    • Remember that all feedback is a bonus
    • People are taking time to try and help you
  • Don't respond right away!
    • Allow your defense reflex to defuse itself.
    • If you write a negative response, sit on it for 24 hours.
      • Then delete it! :D :D :D
  • Think through the criticism(s)
    • Assume you're the problem
    • Figure out why they gave those criticisms
    • Are you getting the same criticism from multiple sources?
      • The more often you get that criticism the more likely you need to change something
    • What do you need to change to avoid additional criticisms?
  • Make a plan to change!
    • Ask for help
    • This may open you up to additional criticisms
    • Set some goals
    • ASK for feedback.
    • Thank people for their feedback.
  • Fighting criticism is rarely effective and makes you look defensive and egotistical.
    • DON'T DO IT!
    • Correct or not, always thank your critics for their input.
    • Never, ever attack a critic with insults.
    • Always thank them for their input or simply ignore them
  • Don't perceive or treat criticisms as a personal attack
    • Yes, this bears repeating.
    • Feedback is a bonus!
    • The truth can set you free, but it might hurt a bit in the process.

Hey man you own the board and if you are going to sit there and lie to me with your reply which you are doing right now, then I cant say anything further in my defense because it would make it seem like im CALLING you a liar. And I am not saying that is what you are. You are currently lying about the scenario right now though. Or looking at it through severely muddled glasses.

I was attacked IMMEDIATELY upon posting the thread stating I AM GOING TO DIE!!! His words not mine. But hey Hes right im wrong in your eyes so thats not an attack and even if it is you have stated on this very thread I should not take offense.

I just took apart you entire post in a few seconds. Id love to see you explain how tursiops post which was a blatant attack and WAS flagged by multiple users as offensive wasnt an attack. I get it man. Im not going to win this discussion because you will just ban me but ive dealt with people exactly like you. You remind me of my father who is 76 and entirely set in his ways. His thoughts are the only correct thoughts. So hey do your worst man. Im not here to hurt your forum im sure its a great source of advertising income and needs be protected but IM NOT the enemy man.

I am a scuba diver looking for more knowledge. That is all. I might even buy you a beer if we met even after you ban me. Life goes on bro. Life goes on. But fyi I am correct.

You hope.

Vague threats are beneath you bud. I only fear one thing in life and thats death itself. Do not care if i ever bump into you and ill say as i did to THE CHAIRMAN that id buy you a beer if you are polite. And I know you would be VERY polite in person once you see me, but on this site you are highly antagonistic.

You should really go back and read your OPs. Especially the sentences involving the words elite, superman.

I dig your pants man! Where can I buy some?

Nice comeback ...

Here's mine:

One of these guys should know:

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 2.52.02 pm.png

Was not my intent I guess I figured people would pick up n the playfulness of the title. and many did reply that they knew the titles were in fun even though I wish to learn more. But SOME people want to take things in a worst possible way so they may talk down to you. Saying things they would NEVER say in person.
I suspect a lot of us would say these things in person. While nobody is saying everyone has to be friends, if we hear people making dangerous statements about diving (whether that be online or in real life), many of us will call them out on it. Those people might not want to hear it, but it’s all about keeping them alive and well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom