Accident & Incident Discussion - Northernone - aka Cameron Donaldson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I might have missed it earlier in the discussion. Do we know the exact entry point so a person could look at a map or satellite view of the area with some accuracy?
It is in one of the original threads, probably the first post (there have been a few splits). Playa las Rocas was where he entered the water. You probably won't find it on any map.

It is in one of the original threads, probably the first post (there have been a few splits). Playa las Rocas was where he entered the water. You probably won't find it on any map.
That doesn't leave as much room as I thought before the distance to land increases markedly, just 2 KM and that's if you surface near the entry point (not probable). Thanks.

upload_2019-3-25_19-30-30.png

Quite a way north of Puerto de Abrigo

View attachment 511470
Quite a way north of Puerto de Abrigo
What is the map scale? I don't think it's all that far north. Maybe a 5 minute walk at most. Many years ago I walked from the seafood restaurant into town (well past airport road) in less than 20 minutes. I think Puerto Abrigo is about halfway (mas o menos) between town and that restaurant.

What is the map scale? I don't think it's all that far north. Maybe a 5 minute walk at most. Many years ago I walked from the seafood restaurant into town (well past airport road) in less than 20 minutes. I think Puerto Abrigo is about halfway (mas o menos) between town and that restaurant.
I don't know the scale, tried to get Puerto Abrigo, Playa las Rocas, and North end of the island on the same map. You are correct, the distance is not as great as it might look.

The walk from Villa Aldora to town is short

From the entrance to Puerto de Abrigo to what is listed as the Playa Rocas (Near Las Brisas condos) is about 0.9 statute mile. From the Playa to the area at hotel Melia where the land turns to the northeast is about 1.15 mile. Measurements from Google Earth.

They entered at the boat launch by Sedena.

2D84E977-0EF5-46CE-BD5F-A660D5F3F954.png

I'm a bit confused of what the exact point of entry got to do with the accident.

People are trying to get an accurate account of the dive.
The area of entry has a few small wrecks and is a great shore diving location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom