"advertising" responses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've noticed more commercial operators are responding to questions in the regional forums with "information" that also includes "check out my website", or has the website link in the signature. Other operators are able to participate without pushing their business directly, but some have not found out how to respond to a question without thinking "oh look, another customer I can hawk my stuff to".

I find it on the tacky side, and I think it ruins the (relatively) non-biased flow of information that usually takes place.

Am I the only one who's noticed this?

Yak.

I can say that while there is no official rule against this, it is not encouraged, and members don't appreciate it.

I am the one who speaks to almost all of our "official" SB Sponsors, and I encourage them to post helpful (non-promotional) postings on the board, and that they just act as productive members of our society, rather than jump up and down yelling, "me, me, me". I do encourage people (SB Sponsors) to use their sig lines to promote their thing, as it's a softer approach more so than beating people over the head with a post response.

If you do see people abusing the system by overly posting, "You should come with my operation" or the like... PM me, or report the post, and we'll ask politely that the user stop abusing the system, and that again, "users don't appreciate that kind of advertising; it's only going to hurt you in the long run"

I hope this helps.

It's a tiny bit annoying and you're thinking "does this person not have a clue?" But yeah, when people do this it's pretty obvious to most everyone and I think they're only hurting themselves. Folks who use any tiny excuse (or even none at all) to promote their business especially while providing no other value to the board - not stuff like sig links or times when it's actually a pertinent response to a question - just convince me not to buy anything from them.

I've noticed more commercial operators are responding to questions in the regional forums with "information" that also includes "check out my website", or has the website link in the signature. Other operators are able to participate without pushing their business directly, but some have not found out how to respond to a question without thinking "oh look, another customer I can hawk my stuff to".

It can work in reverse as well which is pretty amusing.

A couple of months ago there was a Dive Shop in Cayman who answered pretty much any question with "Come to XXXXX" we are the best and easiest shore dive in Cayman.

After several posts relating bad experiences with him and a general low opinion of the site he stopped posting.

Anybody spamming is free game as far as I am concerned.

A great example is Christi (Cozumel). I have never seen here push her services in any post. Her posts are informational participation. But there are a ton of positive posts about her operation from the members, and when I was in Coz on her very excellent charter, the boat was loaded with ScubaBoard members. Cozumel Diving: Blue XT SEA Diving, Cozumel Mexico

When a vendor begins to hock his/her wears in a post, I click "view all posts by" and quickly discover the signal-to-noise ratio. The more a vendor needs to brag about themselves and the less others have, the less likely I am to give them my cash.

It can work in reverse as well which is pretty amusing.

A couple of months ago there was a Dive Shop in Cayman who answered pretty much any question with "Come to XXXXX" we are the best and easiest shore dive in Cayman.

After several posts relating bad experiences with him and a general low opinion of the site he stopped posting.

Anybody spamming is free game as far as I am concerned.
Okay, that is too much, sure. People like this may not realize that they are overdoing it, especially if they're English challenged. Be kind, report, let a Mod counsel them.
A great example is Christi (Cozumel). I have never seen here push her services in any post. Her posts are informational participation. But there are a ton of positive posts about her operation from the members, and when I was in Coz on her very excellent charter, the boat was loaded with ScubaBoard members. Cozumel Diving: Blue XT SEA Diving, Cozumel Mexico

When a vendor begins to hock his/her wears in a post, I click "view all posts by" and quickly discover the signal-to-noise ratio. The more a vendor needs to brag about themselves and the less others have, the less likely I am to give them my cash.
Yeah, she was shy about even starting here, then we like to never got her to put her link in her Sig. She may offer info along the lines of "we have/do that - as do Ops X, Y, Z." Helpful posts.

I actually enjoy here from commercial operators as well as the other posts from "non-invested" individuals. That is what makes for informative discussions. I, too, agree with Rick Inman, Christi(Cozumel) is a great non biased resource in my opinion.

I've worked for a few shops and supported a few more in my time here on the board, including my own boat that I had for a bit. I'm not shy about recommending the shops I work for because I wouldn't work there if I didn't like them! Now that I'm in St. Thomas I've seen a few threads that have gone unanswered in the VI section and I have no problem with me or my shop self-promoting in that case.

If it's a cruise ship diver I'm STILL going to send them to Admiralty since it's more convenient in a lot of cases. In the shop's case, they registered as St Thomas Diving Club so it's hardly a secret that it's a commercial poster. I do have a problem with people I know are associated with a particular operator promoting them as if they were a regular customer reviewing the op.

Rachel

If it's a cruise ship diver I'm STILL going to send them to Admiralty since it's more convenient in a lot of cases. In the shop's case, they registered as St Thomas Diving Club so it's hardly a secret that it's a commercial poster. I do have a problem with people I know are associated with a particular operator promoting them as if they were a regular customer reviewing the op.
Yeah, it's done - kinda fun to bust 'em. :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom