"advertising" responses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do report ads in the wrong section. That's how I know that the same people do it over and over again. The tour operator should know better by now.

What's to report when someone provides a weird quasi ad-like response to an old thread. It's tacky, and not helpful, but I don't think it violates anything since usually someone did ask about that area, even if it was many months (or years) ago.

Rich

Reporting it will put it on the radar for the future.

Well here's a clean post requesting recommendations.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/221447-playacar-pdc-march.html

Let's see how long it takes for someone to jump in...:popcorn:
I did not like the way you posted this one link as an possible example. I think the Mods and Admins are well aware of the overall situation here on SB with regard to the subject you opened for discussion here.
And we have a winner.
I suppose appearances would be better if the Op had PMed the OP in secret, but I prefer the open discussions and open offers. BTW, I think as much of Jason/PlayaCountryBoy for providing helpful info on PDC as I do of Christi for providing info on Cozumel. Why don't use her for an example? Too popular?
Thats pretty funny in a sad sort of way............
I reported your trolling post; hope you understnd. :eyebrow:

This thread provides a nice counter example:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/221408-wetsuit-too-tight-neck-only.html

The first response was from someone who actually provides the service needed. Not only did Liquidfit provide a knowledgeable response instead of an ad, the original poster had no idea that LiquidFit did the kind of alterations needed. Then, after the OP asked who could do this kind of work and I pointed them to 2 popular places, LiquidFit chimed in again to offer a simpler local solution that would probably be cheaper and faster.

BTW, I think as much of Jason/PlayaCountryBoy for providing helpful info on PDC as I do of Christi for providing info on Cozumel. Why don't use her for an example? Too popular?

I'm not interested in a fight about particular people, but I challenge you to find 1 post from Christi that is anything like:

Hola xxxx! I run a boat from Playa which never has more than 1 or 2 people on it. I am located one block north of the ferry pier on the beach. I AM the smallest outfit in Playa! And from your hotel it's a ten minute walk or a two minute taxi ride. PM if you have any specific questions.

I'm not saying that one is right and the other is wrong, just that your comparison is way off and it's not hard to see why.

Rich

Ok Rich, I won't argue. I think that they both provide excellent sources of info, albeit with different styles.

Your other example on the wetsuit was very beneficial.

I still do not see a problem existing on SB. If any provider were to provide spam responses, simply Report - plus the members are pretty good at dealing with such.

thanks!

I think the problems is (and I'm sure the mods are well aware), that no matter what you set as a policy, there are people out there who will walk right up to the line and find some pretty creative ways to accomplish their goals in spite of what the keepers of the board intended.

It's frustrating to see what I think of as people taking advantage of the place, but I also think that most SB readers are bright enough to see things for what they are. I get some really good trip and gear ideas from SB, a lot of it from commercial members, and I'd hate to see that go away.

In any big group of people, you're going to find the guy who can't talk for 2 minutes without handing you a business card and asking who you use for your insurance. I think some of the repeat offenders I see are doing it on purpose, but I think a lot of them are just trying to get on board with the internet (whatever _that_ means) and don't really understand how to do it.

The people who just don't get it are mildly annoying, but the people who do it on purpose are just trying to exploit the place for free advertising instead of bringing some kind of contribution to the table.

Rich

Actually I like inputs in whatever form from businesses. They are being right up front about who they are, what they are and what their opinion is. I can take their information and use it however I see fit.

What I don't like are posts from employees, friends, associates, hangers-on, etc who do not disclose their relationship to the operation being discussed. These folks have an agenda that is inimical to my, and most others', interests.

So, please encourage properly disclosed posts from businesses.

It is too bad that in this world of aliases that we can't get the same disclosure from the rest.

I did not like the way you posted this one link as an possible example. I think the Mods and Admins are well aware of the overall situation here on SB with regard to the subject you opened for discussion here.

I suppose appearances would be better if the Op had PMed the OP in secret, but I prefer the open discussions and open offers. BTW, I think as much of Jason/PlayaCountryBoy for providing helpful info on PDC as I do of Christi for providing info on Cozumel. Why don't use her for an example? Too popular?

I reported your trolling post; hope you understnd. :eyebrow:

Don, it is what it is. I didn't stage anything, just pointed something out.

I don't understand your question regarding Christi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom