Air integrated dive computer brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have PPS transmitters (one branded Oceanic and one branded Shearwater, but both the same other than serial #) and Oceanic Atom 3.0 and Shearwater Perdix AI computers and have had a Hollis TX-1. They all worked flawlessly with my PPS transmitters and I am very happy to have been able to invest in one type of transmitter that I have been able to use across different brands of computers.

Did you try to connect ALL of the computers to one transmitter at the same time and all work OK with the transmitter?

I'm almost 50 and my eyes aren't what they were when I was 20. I love my Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1. It's the only piece of equipment I have not upgraded. Big numbers, easy to use, Nitrox capable, and you can find them used for around $200 to $300. Not wireless, and I don't like the quick detach models, but just a work horse that easy to read and use.

Good luck,
Jay
Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1 Air Integrated Computer with Compass

drrich2 and few others have already posted that there some factors that need to be considered by the "purchasing" diver. One source that I have used as a reference tool comparing dive computer is: Dive Computer Expert Reviews - Finding the Best Scuba Computers For You. You should consider going to a dive shop and looking at the units as well. For instance, I have been comparing the Shearwater AI and the new Scubapro G2 units. Just by holding the units I can say the new G2 unit has a smaller screen from it predecessor and its display is smaller than the shearwater AI counterpart. So good luck with your research and remember your the one using this dive computer so buy what " you" need. Hope this helped. Be safe and have fun diving!

how do you control it? touch screens no worky under water....

Not to mention, pretty much ANYONE can write and publish an app with no quality control or oversight. I doubt I'd trust MY life to calculations from an app I pulled from either AppStore. There are some first-rate apps in both environments, but there is a LOT of chaff in the wheat.

Last edited:
Did you try to connect ALL of the computers to one transmitter at the same time and all work OK with the transmitter?

with the pps transmitters, you can have them paired to multiple computers if you want. i have done just that with a pair of oceanic vt's. because the pairing is by serial number, it doesn't have to be one to one.

For recreational diving, which brands seem to be the 'work horses' of the industry? I'm not interested in the prettiest or fanciest. (But because I'm 57 years old I DO like the computers with large displays!) Which brand seems to be most reliable for the long haul?
Even if you prefer an SPG and a wrist computer (so not air integrated) - which brand wrist computer do you rely on?
If I am in the market for a dive computer(non AI) now I will go for Oceanic Geo 2 but I am more than happy for a cheaper Veo 2 or similar.
But if I can wait a wee bit longer then Deep Six. This is an unknown product with no previous track record but I will give a try if the price is right ie. under US$150.00(as promised yrs ago)!
I also believe in diving with two computers and a gauge reading mask has solved the reading problem(ageing eyes). Nothing fancy but practical in all my diving equipment. Keep it super simple.

I've had 2 computers reading the same transmitter at the same time. But, there really is no limit. The AI transmitter is indeed a transmitter, not a transceiver. In other words, it only transmits. It has no idea how many receivers are listening to it. It's no different than having an unlimited number of cars radios listening to the same station.

I've had 2 computers reading the same transmitter at the same time. But, there really is no limit. The AI transmitter is indeed a transmitter, not a transceiver. In other words, it only transmits. It has no idea how many receivers are listening to it. It's no different than having an unlimited number of cars radios listening to the same station.

I know that is true in theory but never heard of anyone trying it for real. Glad it works in practice too :)

(I am diving with two different transmitters now, one for Suunto and one for Ratio :) )

I think the number of computers that can receive 1 or more transmitter depends on the proximity of the xmtr(s) & the recvr(s). My AI computer says stay within 1 meter of the transmitter. I've heard of greater distances, but I use the 1 meter rule.
Cheers - MM

Forgot to mention the compatibility of the devices. Suunto, Scubapro Ratio, and the PPS family (Hollis, Aqualung, Shearwater, Sherwood, Oceanic, Aeris (I think), and maybe more) are all different and only talk to their brand. But you can have multiple similar receivers.
This is off of your question. I recommend a brand which uses the PPS transmitter. Then you can have multiple brand receiving the same xmtr.

Cheers - MM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom