Air integrated dive computer brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

show me another computer at that price point that can do what it does? or one significantly cheaper that is acceptable and we'll talk ;-)

You are joking, right?

nope.
Even cars have apple/android play where your apps like google maps and contacts apps from your phone are used rather than crappy sub-standard navigation tools that have been in cars for years now.
Hell, someone just needs to invent a case with 2 usable buttons and a depth sensor that the phone could sit in just like the GoPros. The diving computations is probably the easy part!

The case would cost almost nothing to make and the apps would be $10.99 from the apple store.

A lot of the computer brands all share the same AI transmitter (for wireless AI). The transmitter is made by Pelagic Pressure Systems (aka PPS). Computer brands that work with the PPS transmitters include: Aeris, Oceanic, Hollis, Aqualung, Sherwood, Shearwater, and (I think) Tusa. Some of those companies are defunct or nearly so, but you could still possibly find one of their computers for sale that works with a PPS transmitter.

ScubaPro, Suunto, Liquivision, and Ratio each have their own brand of AI transmitter that only works with their computers. Suunto just had a recall announced about 2 months ago(?) where ALL their AI transmitters were recalled for a safety issue.

The PPS transmitters have a very solid reputation for reliability and longevity. The transmitters are easy to find new and on the used market, and they are, I think, the least expensive transmitters. Thus, I would suggest to anyone looking for wireless AI that they look at computers that will work with the PPS transmitters.

I have PPS transmitters (one branded Oceanic and one branded Shearwater, but both the same other than serial #) and Oceanic Atom 3.0 and Shearwater Perdix AI computers and have had a Hollis TX-1. They all worked flawlessly with my PPS transmitters and I am very happy to have been able to invest in one type of transmitter that I have been able to use across different brands of computers.

nope.
Even cars have apple/android play where your apps like google maps and contacts apps from your phone are used rather than crappy sub-standard navigation tools that have been in cars for years now.
Hell, someone just needs to invent a case with 2 usable buttons and a depth sensor that the phone could sit in just like the GoPros. The diving computations is probably the easy part!

The case would cost almost nothing to make and the apps would be $10.99 from the apple store.

How well do you expect touch to work with gloves on?

You do understand that GPS signals don't penetrate water very far, right?

nope.

Also, it will all run on virtual machines in the cloud and will not require any physical hardware at all. Except for a small google adsense facebook biochip rectally inserted between our ears.

It seems to me that the start point for any decision as to which dive computer to buy should be what the buyer wants/needs the computer to do rather than buy the one recommended by divers that may have far more sophisticated needs and desires. In 2010, I bought two Aeris Atmos AI computers because I wanted one with a large, easy to read screen (for my wife), air integrated, and downloadable to a computer. Although no longer in production, both computers still work great today, and have done everything I wanted or needed a computer to do. While I have no doubt the Shearwater computers are great, when either of my current Aeris AI computers die, I will likely get a comparable computer where I can get almost two setups for the price of one Shearwater computer because I simply do not need the sophistication of the Shearwater brand.

For recreational diving, which brands seem to be the 'work horses' of the industry? I'm not interested in the prettiest or fanciest. (But because I'm 57 years old I DO like the computers with large displays!) Which brand seems to be most reliable for the long haul?

Even if you prefer an SPG and a wrist computer (so not air integrated) - which brand wrist computer do you rely on?
Hi @Kimela

What brand of computer do you currently dive and what decompression algorithm does it run? Are you happy with the brand and the decompression algorithm? The answers may influence your choice of an AI computer. By the way you posed your question, I'm assuming you are interested in a hoseless wrist AI computer, of course, I may be wrong.

The marketplace of hoseless AI computers is complex and has changed very significantly over the last couple years. American Underwater Products used to own Oceanic, Aeris Hollis, and Pelagic Pressure Systems, among other companies. AUP sold PPS to Aqualung in 2015. Why is that important? PPS is an OEM that manufactures the AI computers and transmitters for Oceanic, Aeris (brand discontinued in 2014 and folded into Oceanic), Hollis (no longer offering computers, last of the DG03s sold by Dive Gear Express), Aqualung, Sherwood, and Tusa. PPS also manufactures the transmitters for Shearwater. To make it even more interesting, AUP sold Oceanic and Hollis to Huish just this year, the ramifications are yet to be seen.

Suunto, Scubapro, Mares, Liquivision (discontinued their line of computers this year including the Lynx AI), and Ratio all have proprietary transmitters that work only within their brand.

All of the PPS computers run DSAT and/or PZ+ (proprietary Bulhmann derivative). Shearwater runs Buhlmann with GFs. Suunto and Mares run proprietary versions of RGBM. Scubapro runs a proprietary version of Buhlmann. Ratio runs Buhlmann.

Sorry if all of this just added more confusion, but, an informed consumer is a good consumer. So....for a personal anecdote. I have been using an Oceanic VT3 AI since 2010, nearly 1000 dives. I have been diving Oceanic computers running DSAT since 2002. As much as I like Oceanic computers, I am not happy with the direction of their newer computers. When/if my VT3 dies, I will likely replace it with something like the Shearwater Perdix AI, or a similar computer available by that time. To that end, I switched from an Oceanic Geo2 backup to a Dive Rite Nitek Q over a year ago to learn more about Bulhmann with GFs.

Some would say all of this is overly complicated for a diver mainly doing rec dives with about 5% light deco. Well, I love my diving and take it seriously. The more you know, the better you can do.

I would research the decompression algorithms with each brand. I was sold a Suunto Zoop by the dive shop that certified me. I really have not liked the computer due to its very conservative dive profiles. But, looking back, I probably wouldn't have spent the money on a Perdix AI if I already had a different AI computer.

Price, form factor AND algorithms should all be weighted in your own way.

As you see, there are a number of popular brands that serve most recreational diver needs. In addition to durability/reliability, consider:

1.) A built-in rechargeable battery if it has a long life (per charge, and over the life of the computer) can free you from opening & closing the battery compartment, putting at risk of flooding. But user-replaceable lets you pop in a fresh one on-demand. Some computers may not be pleasant to swap for some people; I like my old VT3 but changing the battery is nerve-wracking for me (yet no big deal to some).

2.) Battery life & Interface can be big deals. The big, full-color displays burn power; but the intuitive interfaces can be a joy to use over older LCD models more reminiscent of programing a digital wrist watch. A litmus test; if someone handed it to me the 1st time with no manual, could I figure it out? My Cobalt 2? Yeah. My VT3? Ahah-Hah-Hah!!!

3.) Does it log dives and download to PC? An air-integrated model, especially a wrist unit, likely will. In those, notice how it interfaces with your computer. Would a Bluetooth connection be preferable to an expensive proprietary cable?

4.) Algorithm - without derailing this thread into another multi-page debate on whether & to what extent Suunto dive computers are too conservative compared to Oceanics, be aware your computer's NDL will vary by algorithm used. Some divers (or buddies) object to truncated bottom times.

I mainly use my Cobalt 2 for the intuitive interface, large capacity log, big, attractive display and built-in rechargeable battery; it's not a wrist unit and reliability reputation isn't the main selling point from what I gather in forum posts. I use an old VT3 and it works decently well; one time I got some weird log data, and battery changes try my nerves but aren't frequent.

If I were buying a single A.I. computer to use today, I'd look hard at the Perdix AI. Atomic Aquatics is working on a wrist unit, but so far no show and even if it's great it'll take a long time to establish the rep. for reliability of a Shearwater.

Richard.

Great info - thanks everyone!

@scubadada, I'm currently in the process of figuring out if my transmitter is the reason my Datamask (DSAT) isn't reading air (everything else is working fine). If replacing the transmitter won't fix the problem, or if it's cost prohibitive, then I will be looking for a new primary computer. I'm ok with air integrated or a wrist computer.

I hadn't begun to think about things like proprietary cables and whether the battery is integrated and rechargeable or if we have to replace the battery - yet those are things that have certainly been important as the end user. I was using a Cobra (died last year - it's now a very expensive paperweight) as a backup and discovered that the Cobra (Suunto) was much more conservative that my Datamask - another thing I may not have given great consideration to without this feedback. I really appreciate the depth of the responses.

Oceanic and Shearwater Perdix (AI or non-AI model).

I've had both for years with great customer service when I needed it.

Back
Top Bottom