Airline travel with scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just use regular luggage--the ugliest and lightest weight you can get. And put everything you value most in your carryons. pack clothes around and in dive gear. You can leave home some of the cases you use at home.

Who needs clothes? Your're on your honeymoon! Take one pair of pants and one extra shirt besides the ones you wear, pack your scuba gear instead, everyone's happy!

i sometimes wonder if a hockey bag in places where they don't play hockey is almost as obvious as having a dive flag on the bag ("hmm, i wonder what's in there? not skates") but i can't say i've ever tried it

The lightest canvas bag you can find i'd recommend. Ideally one of the sack type bags the military use. Airline weight limits are very low so the last thing you want is a big solid wheeled case weighing 12lbs empty which reduces that allowance by 50% before you even start packing.

Pad with clothes and towels to protect the gear. Dont buy anything designed for scuba as generally that means "STEAL ME" (as well as being overly heavy)

Traveled to Cozumel last Sept for 9 days, packed reg, u/w camera, computer, purse, etc. in backpack (carryon), put rest of dive gear in rolling duffle that I checked (greatest thing ever invented) and 1 small suitcase which I checked. I put 1/2 my clothes in the top of my dive duffle in case they unzipped the top to look in. My dive knife was on my BC in my duffle. I did have a O-ring kit in my backpack, which was taken away because it has a sharp do-hickey thing to retrieve the o-rings!

i bought a giant akona boat bag in the beginning ... its awesome for all of my gear (at that time) ... problem is, boats dont like them ... i do like the second guys post about using old luggage ... but hey, figure out what works ... because once you marry ... EVERYTHING CHANGES

:D

My Fiance and I were recently certified and I am trying to figure out the setup to bring two sets of gear to Belize for our honeymoon. I have yet to purchase scuba bagage so any suggestions would be helpful. We would like to take all our own gear except for weights and tank. Also, it would be nice for this setup to accomidate two sets of cold water gear for the two of us for a weekend trip to So California. Here are my requirements:
- Carry two sets of cold water gear
- Airline friendly
- ability to lug around between islands/mainland

I suggest not planning on stuffing 2 sets of gear in one bag. It will be hard to stay within weight limitations. There's nothing that says a bag has to contain only gear. We each pack our own checked bag with gear and clothes/other stuff, using the clothes to pad as needed. (And we carry on regs, masks, computers like most people.)

This way will work great also(the way I do it when I make an All Guys Diving Trip ie no wives) but my problem is this: wife starts packing 'her stuff' several days ahead of time in a suitcase----I pack the dive gear for both of us the nite before....In other words, we are on 2 different packing time schedules on a couples trip......

What do you use to replace the co2 bottle with? I have some snorkel vests that need em or they will let in water?

If your snorkel vest requires a co2 bottle then pack it with your regular luggage you check and don't carry it on the plane. The checked luggage doesn't usually get a physical unless something flags it like a chemical smell. They do radomly X ray checked bags but not very often.

Interestingly enough you can bring a snorkel vest that has CO2 cartridges as either carry-on or checked (scrolled to near the bottom):

TSA: Prohibited Items

Disabling Chemicals & Other Dangerous Items Carry-on Checked
Small compressed gas cartridges
(Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares) Yes Yes

As for a bag - head to some place like REI and get a generic duffel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom