Airline travel with scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After yesterdays events in NYC I'm thinking more and more about actually wearing my gear on the plane.

Nah, would end up with hypothermia & die.........let the pretty women take care of you after the crash.....

Last edited:
My Fiance and I were recently certified and I am trying to figure out the setup to bring two sets of gear to Belize for our honeymoon. I have yet to purchase scuba bagage so any suggestions would be helpful. We would like to take all our own gear except for weights and tank. Also, it would be nice for this setup to accomidate two sets of cold water gear for the two of us for a weekend trip to So California. Here are my requirements:
- Carry two sets of cold water gear
- Airline friendly
- ability to lug around between islands/mainland

When I dive travel I use regular luggage. A midsize semisoft checked in, a large carryon, and a small backpack that goes under the seat. I like Skyway for its light weight.

Adam

So I just purchased a hardcover Hy's suitcase which holds my gear great! Now when I head off to the dive shop in the carribean do I just bring my whole suitcase? Or do I take it out and haul it there in mesh bags (or whatever)?

Simple mesh bags, they are easy to store on the boat or at dive shop. I have seen way to many divers trying to lift big heavy rolling bags onto small dive boats, never could figure out why. Mesh bags also speed drying......after the dive those same folks with the big bags load wet gear into them.....

M

I am hearing more and more about using UPS on equipment to send ahead of you.Any thoughts on that avenue?

That's exactly what we're doing for our trip to the Keys in two weeks. I bought a couple of roller UPS approved storage lockers for our dive gear storage from Sams Club for $24 and I am sending one down with gear and clothing to Islamorada. It will cost a few bucks but not having to deal with ATL airport and changing planes going and coming back on superbowl weekend will be alot less stressful than hoping my luggage shows up in Fort Lauderdale going or the return flight back home.

I bought a Stahlsac carryon for my BC and a 2 reg bag to take the Regs and Computers.

So I just purchased a hardcover Hy's suitcase which holds my gear great! Now when I head off to the dive shop in the carribean do I just bring my whole suitcase? Or do I take it out and haul it there in mesh bags (or whatever)?

Just to clarify your question... :)

Are you asking on the plane or on the boat? You can still use your suitcase for the plane. Bring mesh bags for the dive boat as has already been suggested. The case will be to awkward on a boat but will likely be ideal for the plane and getting through the airport.

On another note, have you checked the weight of the case with all your gear in it? The airlines are being more strict now about the weight of checked luggage and extra bags. Check ahead of time about any restrictions and what the costs are for overweight and/or extra bags. You don't want any surprises at the counter :) Be prepared for it to be a little heavier coming back if your gear hasn't had time to completely dry out. Water is heavy :wink:

Have fun on your vacation :)

Back
Top Bottom