Alleged censorship on ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, someone REALLY knows their conspiracies.

I get a lot of conspiracy theorists in my shop...

---------- Post added August 6th, 2013 at 06:02 PM ----------

Or the truth. Ever take a good look at Nancy Pelosi? Yep - lizard woman.

Janet Reno? Yep - man

Did I stumble into the Pub by accident?

Almost but not completely off topic...

Dan, I have read your other posts along a similar line and I applaud your interest in self help and taking control of your health choices but I am afraid you are in the minority. Working in health care I can tell you that what I see driving or at least enabling the pharmaceutical industry is the American public. The "I want every test" attitude and the quick fix mentality. I would gladly help people make better health choices and work with them to find the best answers but that's not what they want. They want to be handed a pill to solve all their health problems, including curing the common cold. They don't want to go to the doctor, especially now when most have a significant co-pay, and be told that they need to change their lifestyle or diet habits. No they want a "magic pill." Heaven forbid I teach them better living choices or suggest that an antibiotic may not be in their best interest.

It is not the pharmeticutical companies "pushing" their products that is the problem but rather us demanding a pill to cure the consquences of our poor choices and making the admittedly hard changes that are needed to make us a healthier society. Who wants to eat right, exercise, etc when we can just take a pill? And whose fault is that. If you truly believe in personal accountability, it is ours.

Lisa

Lisa,
Your response mirrors many of my friends that are Doctors or Dentists.
I am very aware that as a culture, the majority of Americans will almost always go for the "magic pill".
And they play right into the hands of big pharma....If you taped all the arthritis ads, anxiety ads, all the ads with disclaimers that take almost half of the time up going over how these drugs "could" leave you dead or comatose, or severely ill, then suggest you check with your doctor about why this might be the best thing ever for you...it is MIND BOGGLING that they go on to ask their doctor if they can take these "miracle drugs"....And I also know, if a doctor refuses to prescribe nonsense that these "astute" consumers are demanding from the ads...that they will go somewhere else.
I am not blaming doctors for this....but the advertising culture of the last 30 years has helped to shape these consumers into what they are.

If I was to be a kid again, and I had to be a doctor when I grew up, I would choose to be an ER Doc, because they get to TRY and fix the real issue. Not to say that they alone get to do this, but I think they get the most opportunities to do what they were hoping to do when they first got into med school. I have several ER docs as friends, and I like their attitudes about most medical issues.
Still, their is a "culture" in American Medicine, to treat the symptom. I think it would be hard to show that big pharma has not had a big hand in creating the tests and the screenings, that are suggestive of what drugs are ideal to treat the symptoms tested for.

Can you imagine the horror of the Diabetic Care industry, if someone like Joe Mercola got on the Dr Oz Show, and PROVED with a huge sample of adult diabetics from Oz's own Audience from 3 months back, that each Diabetic out of 30 in the original group, was no longer diabetic. This would shake the fabric of the industry, and this industry would collapse literally overnight. And though they would deserve to--there is a cure, the system will NOT make this easy....

Equally as disturbing would be if Mercola did a really big presentation on the Oz show about x ray mammography, and the potential for actually causing cancer or metastasis..And then he would show the alternative of Thermography, how much safer, how much better it was as an indicator of breast cancer....and here we have a Big Business, that won't go down without a fight.....And "should" the XRay Mammography screeners even be allowed to fight? I think they should be educated about the daNger they pose....AND , they need to stop with the fear mongering and forcing women into dangerous screenings!!! And the Thermography labs need to be pushed. Is this the consumer, or is this the industry? :)

I have no idea what this incident was all about, but I WILL say this much;
danvolker DO have a point when he says certain mods seem to be a bit "overeager" and "erratic"in their actions..

I have no idea what this incident was all about, but I WILL say this much;
danvolker DO have a point when he says certain mods seem to be a bit "overeager" and "erratic"in their actions..

What good is having power if you can't abuse it? :gas;

Who is asking? A guy with a life? :wink:

Sorry, I had to go stuff my face. Carry on.

Ah, I was just about to watch that video about the grammar "police"...
I kinda dont have american english (or any form of english) as my primary or nativ language..

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom