Alleged censorship on ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here have a life? Really?

Google is your friend. Yes there's spam but rec.scuba was on its way out due to "hostility", bullying, boorish behaviour, etc etc etc. People (normal people) got sick of it and drifted away, perhaps to find their way here. Towards its end there were only a handful of "contributors" and I use the term loosely.

Frankly, as wonderful a resource as is this board for travel info, I truly miss rec.scuba.locations. it was destroyed even earlier by cough "contributors" from rec.scuba choosing not tobstay in their own sandbox.

For someone who's so big on private property rights and personal autonomy, you have an interestingly limited conception of private forum owners' rights to control their domains. Makes me wonder where you stand on the slew of First Amendment cases where mall owners were barred from ejecting leaflette-distributing hippies on the grounds that their private property had become the new town square :p

Maybe not....
If you and I, and Chrpai, and Jim, and 5 or 6 other regulars were sitting down at a table at a popular seafood with a Tiki Bar, having some drinks....and talking....and the manager of the Restaurant walked up and told us he did not want us talking about Shark finning because he did not want anyone to overhear our arguments as to why Shark finning was wrong and should be eliminated....I would tell him thanks for your concern, and then ignore him.
I would not go back, but at that point, I would feel as though he transgressed on us, and my inclination would be to become more expressive than ever, on the evils of finning....but I would be polite in doing so :)
If he wanted to call the police, I would let you explain to the Police why we had the right to discuss Shark finning amongst ourselves, at our table.

If the Bar owner was polite enough, I would agree to move our group to a table out of ear shot of other bar or restaurant patrons--but if I heard some ZERO TOLERANCE Nonsense about this verbal infraction we were supposedly committing, I would be chatting happily about shark fins to anyone that would chat with me, and ignoring the ZT guy.

Google is your friend. Yes there's spam but rec.scuba was on its way out due to "hostility", bullying, boorish behaviour, etc etc etc. People (normal people) got sick of it and drifted away, perhaps to find their way here. Towards its end there were only a handful of "contributors" and I use the term loosely.

Frankly, as wonderful a resource as is this board for travel info, I truly miss rec.scuba.locations. it was destroyed even earlier by cough "contributors" from rec.scuba choosing not tobstay in their own sandbox.

I remember some terrible Trolls..the likes of which we have never even had a glimpse of on Scubaboard....Do you guys remember Barney? There were a few that just lived to come to your table and fart. I think there was so many trolls, that rec.scuba was destroyed by the dislike for the trolling....I almost wonder if this was paid for by the print magazines like Skin diver, as counter-measures for the internet issue of being a threat to the dissemination of scuba information only by Skin diver..now this does sound like a conspiracy theory..:) And then again, the attack of the trolls was vicious, unstoppable, and seemingly out of no where.....usually, you follow the money for something like this.

Psst. Anyone who doesn't like the environment or the moderation standards of ScubaBoard.com should quietly leave and spend their time elsewhere.

I also rememer Carla!!

Psst. Anyone who doesn't like the environment or the moderation standards of ScubaBoard.com should quietly leave and spend their time elsewhere.

Why not democratically FIX IT from the inside.....like if 2000 active members made it plain that they did not like the level of heavy handed moderation....that they wanted it for extreme Trolling behavior, and for posters that were getting reported often. Why not let the community have some control of it's destiny.

My plan is to continue to lobby for this, until the brownshirts remove me from the virtual community.

popcorn.gif
:trainwreck:
popcorn.gif

Going back to the allegations on censorship, isn't the whole Agg/dancer thumbs down incident a form of censorship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom