Almost sold on rubber weight belt, but have questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ojai Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
HI,

I dive a DSS BP/W with my colorful nylon Sport Chalet Weight belt, the latter of which I am considering upgrading.

Specifically, on the recommendation of so many here on the board, I am considering upgrading to a Mako rubber belt with the Marseille buckle and the locking Tinman weights. These are my questions:

1. Is the Marseille buckle safe to use under a harness? In other words, can the "pop up" latch do so under the harness?

2. Should I get all Tinman weights? I usually use between 6 and 14 pounds of weight. Are they going to be a pain to add and remove from the belt?

3. Why are most all freediving weights uncoated? I have always used vinyl coated weights. I have a three-year-old son in the house and am not thrilled with having uncoated lead around.

4. Is the rubber belt durable it, or does it crack and breakdown?

I realize that's a lot of questions, but I appreciate all responses.

Thanks!

1. I've never had mine "pop up" at all, but you probably could get it off if you tried. However, you shouldn't need to ditch it if properly weighted.

2. I've never used these, so I can't speak to them. I use boring/normal hard weights and they work well.

3. I keep my weights in a closet or in the garage. I've only tried two coated weights on the Mako belt but I struggled with (and gave up on) both....YMMV.

4. Mine's been very durable and is a few years old at this point. No cracking or anything. So far, it's held up better than my webbing weight belts used to.

HI,

I dive a DSS BP/W with my colorful nylon Sport Chalet Weight belt, the latter of which I am considering upgrading.

Specifically, on the recommendation of so many here on the board, I am considering upgrading to a Mako rubber belt with the Marseille buckle and the locking Tinman weights. These are my questions:

1. Is the Marseille buckle safe to use under a harness? In other words, can the "pop up" latch do so under the harness?

The Mako belt requires a deliberate pull to release, I can't imagine it happening accidentally. I wear mine with a BP&W, under the crotch strap.
2. Should I get all Tinman weights? I usually use between 6 and 14 pounds of weight. Are they going to be a pain to add and remove from the belt?

I use 16lbs of Tinman weights, very easy to add/remove/adjust on the belt. Look on youtube for videos.
4. Is the rubber belt durable it, or does it crack and breakdown?

Mine is three years old and still okay.

The Mako belt requires a deliberate pull to release, I can't imagine it happening accidentally.

Yeah, when you put it on, you pull the belt back against the buckle roller to stretch it out and insert the what-cha-ma-call-it in the hole. When you let go of the belt, the elasticity prevents the buckle from opening until you again pull back against the roller and the what-cha-ma-call-it pops out of the hole.

Yeah, when you put it on, you pull the belt back against the buckle roller to stretch it out and insert the what-cha-ma-call-it in the hole. When you let go of the belt, the elasticity prevents the buckle from opening until you again pull back against the roller and the what-cha-ma-call-it pops out of the hole.

Woah, woah, woah....I said I was a diver, not an EXPERT! Why you gots to get all technical?!?

Looked it up and the term is "Prong", which seems appropriate as it prone to be erect when not held down by the female part of the belt.

Last edited:
Gentlemen please, this is ScubaBoard, you can't argue here. I think the correct technical term is "tang".

Back
Top Bottom