Another BP/W Noob Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Tobin, can you briefly talk me through the difference between the Pro-Fit and the Hogarthian harness?

Is it just a matter of personal taste, or do you recommend different rigs in different circumstances?

Tobin, can you briefly talk me through the difference between the Pro-Fit and the Hogarthian harness?

Is it just a matter of personal taste, or do you recommend different rigs in different circumstances?

Rhone Man,

If you have a normal range of motion in your arms and shoulders use a Hogarthian Harness.

If you have plans of pursuing GUE, Naui-Tec or UTD training, use a Hogarthian Harness, for other agencies check with your instructor.

Are "Hog" harnesses uncomfortable? No, tech divers doing 2-3-4 hour dives need comfort.

Hog harnesses aren't really more difficult, they are just different. They require a bit of time to set up, and a bit of practice to donn / doff.

Who needs a Pro-Fit harness? Rental where frequent adjustment is common, and the few divers who simply cannot manage a Hog harness.

My advice is stick with the Hog harness. In the unlikely event you find you are having difficulties donning or doffing you can always add a QR buckle to one shoulder strap.

It is worthwhile to remember that a backplate works a bit differently from a fabric BC.

Because the plate stabilizes the tank(s) and keep them from rolling you don't need to run the harness on a BP&W cinched tight as many do with fabric BC's in a effort to limit the movement of the cylinder.

The combination of shoulder straps, waist strap and a crotch strap act to keep the plate "in position" They do not need to be overly tight to do so.

Hope this helps, if not and you have a specific concern still unanswered let me know.

Tobin

No, that's perfect thanks.

Back
Top Bottom