Another BP/W Thread...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atom4

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a new OW Certified diver and would like to get some gear. From the general consensus on here BP/W is the ideal go to BCD. I plan on diving tropical where a 3mm will be the max Wetsuit I'd wear and plan on diving single Aluminum tanks. But I would like to get into technical dives in the future.

The brands that keep popping up is Dive Rite, Deep Sea Supply, and Halcyon. Any other recommendations? I'm going to go more towards a SS plate since I was using 8lbs in a Hydros Pro during my certification dives.

My advice is to try a BP/W before buying just so you know what it's like to use one.

Some people (like my daughter) don't like them for unknown reasons.

All of my wings are DiveRite.

BP/W does seem to be the consensus but don't think of it as the end all be all buoyancy compensators. The backplate shines best when needs to support the load of double tanks...otherwise it is just a BC that is inherently negatively buoyant that allows one to remove some or all weight from pockets or a weightbelt depending on the circumstances they are diving. Here in Europe I have seen "Tech" divers using "normal" BCs...people tend to dive what they have. You don't need to be GUE or DIR certified or dive doubles to be a tech diver...one can dive a BC they have or find comfortable with a single back mount tank and sling a second tank for their deco...some of the folks I dive with will wear a single 15L or 18L tank and carry a tank with O2 for accelerated deco at a 6m deco stop.

I am not against BP/W setups...I dive one myself...but they do seem to be hyped up around here. My recommendation if you buy one is figure out how much lead you need to comfortably control your buoyancy at the safety stop at the end of your dive (when your tank is most buoyant), keep in mind that this amount will be most affected by any change in your exposure suit thickness. Then compute 1Kg for each mm the stainless steel back plate you want to buy is thick...that will give you an idea of how much weight you can cut from weight belt.

As you shop, visit different stores and websites and look more at the specs of the back plate than the brand...for instance on the DGX website it seems like all the standard SS backplates are roughly 3mm thick and weigh @ 3kg (like the dive rite ss BP)...this might give you the false impression that is universal...that would not be true....but I assume many of their customers are diving a doubles rig a kg or 2 less in the BP is not much of a problem since they are typically carrying a lot of weight from their tanks, extra 1st stage, possibly a deco bottle, etc. If you are diving a single back mount bottle then this becomes more relevant in my opinion. I am happy with my setup but if I could go back in time with the knowledge I have now, I would choose a thicker plate for the conditions I regularly dive in.

Remember...BP / weight belt / pockets...the amount of ballast you need does not change, you are only changing how you are carrying it.

-Z

Since you are a newly certified OW diver...I would recommend as well for you to build some experience before investing as many find that as they gain more experience they become more comfortable and this often translates into needing less lead to submerge.

-Z

For me in a 2mm a Aegir Bllackbird/ss BP/W works great, 2-3kg on my belt.

The backplate shines best when needs to support the load of double tanks...otherwise it is just a BC that is inherently negatively buoyant that allows one to remove some or all weight from pockets or a weightbelt depending on the circumstances they are diving.
Ahem. Ahh...No.

Ahem. Ahh...No.

It is just an opinion.

To me the backplate is just a platform to attach a wing to and some kind of harnesss system (be it hogarthian, deluxe padded, adjustable, etc.) to in order to attach it to one's body.

Is it simpler than jacket BC? - perhaps
Is it more modular? - usually
Is it more customizable? - usually
Will it allow you to wear less weight? - perhaps
are they comfortable? - more so than one might expect
are they the end all be all of BCDs? - hardly

-Z

It is just an opinion.

To me the backplate is just a platform to attach a wing to and some kind of harnesss system (be it hogarthian, deluxe padded, adjustable, etc.) to in order to attach it to one's body.

Is it simpler than jacket BC? - perhaps
Is it more modular? - usually
Is it more customizable? - usually
Will it allow you to wear less weight? - perhaps
are they the end all be all of BCDs? - hardly

-Z

slight corrections

Is it simpler than jacket BC? - usually
Is it more modular? - always
Is it more customizable? - always
Will it allow you to wear less weight? - always
are they the end all be all of BCDs? - to each his own on that one

If you can, find a BP/W to try out to see if you like it. Trying a back inflate and poodle jacket are fairly easy since you can try, or rent one from a dive shop. Ultimately the best BC for you is the one that works for you best.

The backplate shines best when needs to support the load of double tanks...

Actually, as far as I have seen, it is the only one, other than the newer side mount, that can accommodate double tanks. At one time you could get doubles on a jacket, or the original doubles plastic backpack for use with a Horsecollar BC. And actually the origional doubles had no backplate at all.

In cold water diving where I live, it shines with a single tank. As a matter of fact, @Eric Sedletzky makes the Freedom Plate for single tank diving.

Bob

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom