Another BP/W Thread...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am interested in the sentiment behind this statement. I own a dive rite system but there are features of the DSS wings that I wish I had considered. Other than the company being temporarily closed it would nice to know what concerns issues you have had with this company.

-Z
The only thing I don’t like about the DSS wing is the center hose position, it doesn’t bother some people but I just don’t care for it or the workaround, others don’t notice and are fine with it. I did like the big holes for the tank straps, very handy and I wish more makers offered that sort of thing but reality is the time needed to thread a cam band is negligible.

I am a proponent of BP/wings, but also really like the Dive Rite Transpacs. It is also a very modular system and uses the same wings.

Thank you for the rational response regarding bp/w usage. Scubaboard tends to be an echo chamber of bp/w and Perdix advice even when they may not neasessarily be the optimal choice for a particular dive style.

Umm.. there is a big reason for the consensus you describe as an "echo chamber". I would humbly suggest that new divers get a pretty good diverse set of opinions here from people with a ton of real diving experience. This stands out in sharp contrast to typical advice from most LDS situations.

Thank you for the rational response regarding bp/w usage. Scubaboard tends to be an echo chamber of bp/w and Perdix advice even when they may not neasessarily be the optimal choice for a particular dive style.

There is something to be said about your point of view, many of those on ScubaBoard are dedicated divers with strong opinions. I look at this as a balance for the majority of dive shops that don't even mention BP//W and will sell you the best jacket for their bottom line.

Although I dive a BP/W, I recommended earlier that the OP try different types of BC's to find what they like. I have lent my rig to other divers for a test drive, as have others I know, because dive shops don't give that choice. I have no dog in the fight and, over the decades, used every type of BC since I started diving, before there were BC's. They all work, it depends what you like.

Bob

I am a proponent of BP/wings, but also really like the Dive Rite Transpacs. It is also a very modular system and uses the same wings.

Umm.. there is a big reason for the consensus you describe as an "echo chamber". I would humbly suggest that new divers get a pretty good diverse set of opinions here from people with a ton of real diving experience. This stands out in sharp contrast to typical advice from most LDS situations.
My whole point is that the discussion on scubaboard is anything but diverse, and not representative of the General diving population.

My whole point is that the discussion on scubaboard is anything but diverse, and not representative of the General diving population.
Being unrepresentative of the general diving population does not, in itself, make it wrong.
The instructor forum is unrepresentative of the general diving population, yet they likely have more informed and refined views on gear and technique.

OP: the BC you've tried, Hydros Pro, is liked by some BP/W users for single tank diving, particularly stuartv, but they still feel it's list price is expensive for its relative fit benefit over BP/W. They got theirs at pro prices.
scubapro Hydros Pro BCD
First Reg Set

I'll echo :) the sentiment that BP/W are very good, adaptable, sturdy, etc.

Last edited:
Will it allow you to wear less weight? - always

Define "less weight": if yo're talking shifting some of the weight from chunks of lead to steel backplate, then always. Otherwise: perhaps. I seem to have a whooping 2 ponds of lead to an Alu plate, and I'm not sure how much of that: simply because I can put the weight exactly where I want it instead of having to balance the trim pouch to the belt/pockets.

Define "less weight": if yo're talking shifting some of the weight from chunks of lead to steel backplate, then always. Otherwise: perhaps. I seem to have a whooping 2 ponds of lead to an Alu plate, and I'm not sure how much of that: simply because I can put the weight exactly where I want it instead of having to balance the trim pouch to the belt/pockets.

it's the overall rig weight. So an aluminum bp/w and a SS bp/w have an essentially identical total rig weight *bcd, weights, tank, etc* because they don't float. The jacket bc's with their padding require more lead to sink and typically weigh at least as much as a bp/w anyway so the total rig weight is higher.
Same concept with AL tanks always being overall heavier than steel of the same size because you have to add pounds of lead. A Faber 85 is about the same physical dimensions as an al80, height, weight *little bit skinnier*, but the entire rig weight of the Faber 85 is 4-5lbs less because of the buoyancy characteristics.

Make sense?

Oh it makes perfect sense but I personally dropped all of two pounds from a rental jacket to Al bp&w. I strongly suspect the "fluff" is overrated and it's mostly bad trim that makes people carry extra lead.

Jackets don't help as the pockets tend to place the weight too low. For my liking anyway.

Oh it makes perfect sense but I personally dropped all of two pounds from a rental jacket to Al bp&w. I strongly suspect the "fluff" is overrated and it's mostly bad trim that makes people carry extra lead.

Jackets don't help as the pockets tend to place the weight too low. For my liking anyway.

so you dropped 2 pounds and there's no way the rig is heavier without any lead, so it's still lighter. May not be by much, but lighter is lighter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom