Another dreaded BP/W question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen Ash:
I'm sure that you like it. But I gotta say... that baby looks WAY too big for a single.

Nope just about right for a faber LP120. It works well on AL 80s and PST Hp120s also.

It has an expandable panel in it ( yeah, I know ) that as long as you don't take it over about 30 lbs lift it doesn't use, allin all it's about the same size as any 30 - 35 lbs lift wing. It comes with the slots for the cambands, a plus if you don't use a STA.

as for the weight on your back - as a photographer I like my trim good at any angle. If you get too much weight ( as a percentage of the total ) in any one place it'll tend to roll you ( or force you back to that position). Can you dive all the weight on your back? ask somebody who's dove those beuchat 120s - the ones that are 45 lbs negative. Is it the right way - NO.

dirthead,

I posed a similar question about the types of backplate harnesses a few months ago. After some careful deliberation, I decided to go with the single piece of webbing for its simplicity. Here's the link for your reference:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=86180

Good luck!

Ericson

dirthead:
I know the "which BP/W question" has been asked 1,000 times, and I have searched and read all of those threads, but still have a question.

I have been using a vest BC (Seaquest Pro QD+) for about a year. It is ok, but I want more control, better buoyancy, trim, etc. I have read all the bp/w threads until my eyes pop out of my head. I have spent so much $$ on dive gear the past year on regulators, wetsuits, fins, masks, etc. that my wife is ready to shove a tank up my a@$. I am just a recreational diver, single tank only, no plans of doubles or DIR stuff anytime soon. I have researched all the major manufacturers harnesses, wings, and plates, and seem to be more confused now than ever.

Here is my delimma. I don't want to spend a ton of money. I like the idea of a Hogarthian harness.....simple, cheap, easy to replace. I worry a little about donning, but have read that most have no problem. I am 5'8" and 165 pounds and of normal proportions so hopefully it wouldn't be a problem. Second, I am a little worried about weight. Currently, I use 10 pounds when wearing a 3 mil full suit. If I go with a SS backplate with an STA, am I going to be overweighted? Do the adjustable harnesses(DSS, OMS, DiveRite Transplate) give you the same benefits of using a backplate as if you were using a 1 piece harness?? Or do they allow a little movement of the backplate with all the plastic buckles and stuff?

So far, I like the DSS single tank rig with 30# wing the best. I am riding the fence on whether to get a 1 piece harness or adjustable. The OMS and Oxycheq stuff looks nice as well. Samish Divers on Ebay has an Oxycheq rig with 1 piece harness, SS plate, and wing for about $350. Is this a good deal or should I just go ahead and get the DSS single kit?

I know this topic has been beaten to death, and I apologize for asking the same old questions again, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I am going to order the DSS single tank rig with Hogarthian harness.

Apeks Just came out with a new line of BPW, you can chec them out on the Aqua Lung site. The standard kit goes for 165.00, & the Wings are anywhere from 275.00 to 310.00. You can even go weight integrated if that interest you.

dirthead:
..... I am just a recreational diver, single tank only, no plans of doubles or DIR stuff anytime soon....... Do the adjustable harnesses(DSS, OMS, DiveRite Transplate) give you the same benefits of using a backplate as if you were using a 1 piece harness?? Or do they allow a little movement of the backplate with all the plastic buckles and stuff? ....whether to get a 1 piece harness or adjustable. The OMS and Oxycheq stuff looks nice as well. Samish Divers on Ebay has an Oxycheq rig with 1 piece harness, SS plate, and wing for about $350. Is this a good deal or should I just go ahead and get the DSS single kit?....QUOTE]

The best deal I have found for a BP/W setup is through NE Scuba Supply for a Dive Rite package.....$329.

http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/specials/BP_Famous_Specials.html

The adjustable harness allows for easier removal with one plastic buckle. Many divers use the one piece but the claims of failure are exaggerated by the DIR crowd. You can unclip the one buckle while diving and you may not even notice. Everything in diving represents a balance of risk, need, and convenience. There is no difference in movement between a one piece and the deluxe harness. The only difference is in removal.

You may not find as much of a difference from a BC to a BP as you may think. BP's definitely hold tanks in place better but you may not recognize many other trim differences.

--Matt

dirthead:
So in this deal is the harness, backplate, and wing all Dive Rite? Or are the wing and backplate some other brand??

Everything is Dive Rite with this deal - BP, Wing, and Harness. You would want to call to verify that has not changed (been a year since I researched this deal).

--Matt

dirthead:
So in this deal is the harness, backplate, and wing all Dive Rite? Or are the wing and backplate some other brand??

Exactly.

I'd sure call them and get the scoop. Not all wings are created equal. Come to think of it...neither are backplates.

One thing that I noticed right off the bat was that the price listed doesn't include cam bands. They are selling them there for 30 a piece. You will need two. Now you're already close to 400.

Also....will you have to get an STA...usually close to a hundred dollars...to make this rig work well. Some wing/BP combos work well without an STA...some don't.

My suggestion still stands. With Tobin's rig you KNOW you will get primo quality. Trying to save a few bucks might leave you with a rig that is ...well disappointing.

stoiclown:
Apeks Just came out with a new line of BPW, you can chec them out on the Aqua Lung site. The standard kit goes for 165.00, & the Wings are anywhere from 275.00 to 310.00. You can even go weight integrated if that interest you.
Is it just me, or does the Apex WTX Harness looks alot like the OMS IQ Pack (figure #6) ?

Thanks for all the info. I just ordered the DSS Single Tank kit with Hogarthian harness.

Back
Top Bottom