Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an FYI.. I once took a new mask and used the burn method - leaving a good bit of soot - black carbon on the glass. Instead of carefully washing this off, I immediately added some dawn dish soap and then rubbed and scrubbed really hard with a paper towel using the detergent- water-soot slurry.

After a minute or so I rinsed the soap and soot out... I had TOTALLY destroyed the mask by scratching the inside of the lens terribly - presumably the soot is incredibly abrasive.. I would have never suspected this. Thought we might want to include things to avoid.

I am highly skeptical that the soot did it. Maybe. Just, color me skeptical.

Note that paper towels are a wood product. I have scratched the **** out of plastic lenses on other things in the past by cleaning them with a paper towel.

In contrast, I have burned a mask lens and then cleaned the soot off with water, a Magic Eraser, and hard scrubbing, leaving no damage at all.

....since the lens can be removed did a long soak in ammonia, it been very fog free with just a very light application of defog. I would like to try my Tusa Paragon in ammonia (removable lens).....

This goes back to my earlier question... if you have removable lenses or your mask isn't frameless, should you be needing to do any treatments on it at all? (other than the standard defog solution, that is)

I thought the only masks that needed to be burned, scrubbed, soaked, etc. were the frameless masks that had the silicon film deposited on the glass from the factory process of making the mask with the lenses molded in. Again, this was from a post or two from the very beginning of this thread.

This goes back to my earlier question... if you have removable lenses or your mask isn't frameless, should you be needing to do any treatments on it at all? (other than the standard defog solution, that is)

I thought the only masks that needed to be burned, scrubbed, soaked, etc. were the frameless masks that had the silicon film deposited on the glass from the factory process of making the mask with the lenses molded in. Again, this was from a post or two from the very beginning of this thread.
That is a good question, I did buy the Zeagle scope new and it did require prep because it would fog a little, it really good now, I’m not sure the whole process was necessary.

Masks that fog long predate the relatively modern frameless masks.

I would have thought that as well. I just remembered reading these quotes from the first 2 pages of this thread:

This fogging problem on new masks came into existence with advent of frameless masks -- those where the glass retainer cannot be mechanically removed. Wouldn't it make sense to find out what manufacturers are exposing the glass to? I suspect that injection mold release compounds are involved. Knowing the chemistry of the product(s) would tell us how to remove it.

Maybe @MAKO Spearguns can find out?

We are all in the same boat: Maybe there is something better/easier. This problem dates back to:
This fogging problem on new masks came into existence with advent of frameless masks --

So two possibilities are that the mold release agent unintentionally coats the glass or that the glass was intentionally silanized in order to aid in adhesion to the mask.

@Daebado I should have said that the serious fogging problem with new masks came into existence...

@stuartv: Paper towels are known to be abrasive: Paper Towel Do's and Don'ts | Paper Towel Reviews - Consumer Reports News They contain mineral fillers that are the reason for their abrasive properties.

My optometrist told me that the cheapest and easiest way to clean glasses is to use a freshly laundered and dried 100% cotton fabric. No scratch and very little lint.

I am highly skeptical that the soot did it. Maybe. Just, color me skeptical.

Note that paper towels are a wood product. I have scratched the **** out of plastic lenses on other things in the past by cleaning them with a paper towel.

In contrast, I have burned a mask lens and then cleaned the soot off with water, a Magic Eraser, and hard scrubbing, leaving no damage at all.
Me too, but not enough to repeat the experiment.

For ME, for now, I'm going to cut my protocol back to:
- run it through the dishwasher
- dive it
- if it has a fogging problem (after the dishwasher treatment), THEN put ammonia on the inside and let it soak, in a well-ventilated area.
I'm still trying to gel household ammonia, getting close with the polymer in baby diapers (way more of that stuff in adult diapers).

The slime polymer was a true 'Fail', however, a bit of the slime polymer added to baby shampoo is showing great promise as 'baby spit' defog. This is why I so love research, ya never know what you will find...

Agree. The first MFH (Mask From Hell) I encountered was in the early 1980ies. It belonged to a student of mine who I gave a severe talking to because he did not properly treat his mask prior to the checkout dive trip. After I personally treated his mask (long before I knew the flame trick) I helped myself to a full plate of crow. To make a long story just a little longer, this MFH resisted every attempt at solving it's fogging problem. It ended up in a landfill where it remains under the earth in a fogged up state.

I'm still trying to gel household ammonia, getting close with the polymer in baby diapers (way more of that stuff in adult diapers).

The slime polymer was a true 'Fail', however, a bit of the slime polymer added to baby shampoo is showing great promise as 'baby spit' defog. This is why I so love research, ya never know what you will find...

Have you tried mixing the ammonia with powdered gelatine, water and glycerine to create a soft jelly "gel" ?

A softer jelly version of this with ammonia included.
Reusable Molding Material: Homemade...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom