Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone ever tried TSP trisodium phosphate?
OMG, yeah. Amazing stuff but it is the lifeblood of algae. That is why it went away.

However, there are sodium salts of strong organic acids that might just turn into a pinch of TSP and the free sulfonic acid if mixed with common naval jelly. Still lots of phosphates in that mix and it would need to be disposed of properly. Worth a try.

Nice.

Naval Jelly, Coke, toilet & tile cleaner: the active ingredient in these items is phosphoric acid.

I think you confuse cleaning with anti-fog treatment.

There's nothing wrong with cleaning the mask. But a dirty mask doesn't necessarily fog more than a clean mask, and even a very clean mask will fog in cold water. My bathroom mirror is very clean, never had any silicon residue on it, and yet it fogs completely whenever I take a shower.

Please see Wikipedia how anti-fog treatment works: Anti-fog - Wikipedia

So I predict the outcome of your experiments will be: best visibility is achieved by cleaning the mask properly after purchase, plus applying anti-fog treatment (spit, baby shampoo, ...) before every dive in cold water (not necessarily in warm water).

So I predict the outcome of your experiments will be: best visibility is achieved by cleaning the mask properly after purchase, plus applying anti-fog treatment
I'm only concerned with cleaning the mask after purchase, that is why the testing will require new masks.

But your expectation brings up a good point (that just became obvious to me). I probably shouldn't be treating the glass with any type of anti-fog after the initial cleaning. Adding anti-fog would tend to hide the results of the initial cleaning attempt. Adding antifog would be an unnecessary interference to the intended tests.

I would have titled this thread a bit differently had this occurred to me back then...

Adding anti-fog would tend to hide the results of the initial cleaning attempt.

Considering a squeaky clean glass fogs up quickly, how are you going to determine if method A, B, or C has done (or failed to do) it's job if no anti-fog is used? I was under the impression that the purpose of the experiment was to find a way to remove whatever residue is on the faceplate so that normal anti-fog measures are effective.

Considering a squeaky clean glass fogs up quickly, ...//...
It doesn't. A critically cleaned glass surface is very hydrophilic, water sheets on it. It does not bead.

We used to critically clean glass pipettes in Chromerge between use. They then gave a beautiful concave meniscus. The pipettes were either marked TD or TC. (To deliver or to contain) but the glass had to be super clean. All the aqueous reagents we used had a concave meniscus. Super clean glass is hydrophilic.

for reference: Know the Right Way to Read a Meniscus

I was under the impression that the purpose of the experiment was to find a way to remove whatever residue is on the faceplate so that normal anti-fog measures are effective.
Indeed.

Immediately after an effective cleaning treatment the glass should not fog. This is a basic assumption of my tests. Wide open to criticism on this assumption, now (experimental design phase) is the time to get this right.

Glass does not stay clean for long, thus the anti-fog treatment. Open to challenges to that assumption also...

Edit
@couv: I see your point. As ultra clean glass attracts everything, maybe a mist of dilute baby shampoo immediately after cleaning is wise. I would have no problem with that. It does not add another variable (which de-fogger to use) to the test. The quality control is quite strict for baby soap. I have to admit that I like the idea.

Edit, Edit
It isn't possible to test cleaning methods AND anti-fog methods at the same time. Would need a boatload of new masks. However, agreeing on a single anti-fog treatment and then comparing cleaning methods should be entirely defensible.

....agreeing on a single anti-fog treatment....
OK I think that is the next step. How's grandpa's salivary glands feeling this week? :) I usually use baby shampoo, but agree the important thing is to use the same product on all mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom