Any features (or appearance, anything) that'd get you to use a mechanical dive watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I actually just recently became interested in diving because of my interest in dive watches. I figure these days people are just using fully digital dive computers for practical purposes. But I was wondering, are there any features, or anything about a watch's appearance (visibility, legibility, etc.) that would convince you to wear a mechanical dive watch instead? Are there any areas in that regard that dive computers are lacking in, that could be bettered by a simpler solution in a basic mechanical dive watch? Or will my foray into diving mean a switch to dive computers?

A dive buddy of mine uses a Citizen dive watch with a depth meter. The main reason he uses it is because it is easy to travel with. You don't need a computer for diving. You can always use a depth gauge and a timing device (watch). The main problem with a mechanical dive watch is people forget to rotate the bezel to keep track of the elapsed time. The dive industry then came up with a mechanical bottom timer that the diver winds and has a pressure switch for in water activation. After that came electronic bottom timers and computers. I am not sure which came first. Some divers carry a watch along with the bottom timer or computer, but usually it is a cheaper $50 Casio G-shock or the Timex equivalent not a more expensive mechanical dive watch.

My 2c is that is all about styling. I often wear one of my 3 dive watches topside or to work but I seldom wear them diving now. I wear a wrist computer and backup spg. You get all the information you need from the ubiquitous computer and, I think, no mechanical watch can compete. The style, however, can sell the watch. I do use my watches when snorkeling or swimming but mostly for the waterproof and current time features. Good luck.

I guess by mechanical you mean analogue? Anyway, I have two non-digital dive watches; an automatic (self-winding) Seiko 6309 (elapsed time only) and a Citizen Aqualand (depth & time). I mostly use them as backups to my Liquivision X1 or Uwatec bottom timer, although the citizen I have used as a primary for recreational dives when travelling light on holiday. And I have used the Seiko on shallow-ish sites I know very well and don't need to worry about NDL.

Seiko6309-7049KevinChan.jpg

citizen_divers_200m_promaster_aqualand_analog_depth_meter_al0030_40mm_mens_watch_1_lgw.jpg

That Seiko 6309 is beautiful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom