Any good website for bp\w setups?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigtim6656

Reaction score
KEY LARGO florida diving capital of the world
# of dives
25 - 49
I am really starting to think i need to look at the bp\w it seems i come back to them everytime i look a a vest bc.
Issue one is my size. I am loosing weight and if i buy a vest and loose 50 pounds i am out the money for the vest.
I want to be able to switch to dual tanks without buying a new bc. I plan to do this hopefully the end of 09. if not sooner.

SO i am going to look real hard at the bp\w. My issue is i know nothing about them nor do i know alot about diving because i am getting my ow in march. I know most of you will say wait till after i get cert. I can not the shop i am going to does not have a vest to fit me.
SO where is a good place to buy a bp\w all setup and ready to be fitted to me.
I know diverite makes them. but any online shops to buy one or atleast look at them.
Aslo what model would you guys recommend

Last edited:
I have never used Tobin but I have heard good things about him and DeepSea Supply. Since he has already posted several responses to some of your threads, I would use him. He has already supplied something that you will be looking for - customer service.

The wings that my buddies and I use are DR, DeepSea Supply, Oxycheq, and OMS. Most people will not do wrong with any of these. From some of the other threads, it sounds like Tobin can customize a BP/wing to your current size. And remember, as you lose weight, you will still need the same length BP and wing. You will just take up some of the webbing that makes up the harnesss - kind of like a school backpack.

The DR site may have some instructionns on assembling a BP and harness. You may want to try that or a DIR site - just do a search.

Good luck. Sometimes the hardest part of diving can be deciding what to buy.

Don't want to turn this into an "LDS vs Online" thread, but if I were you I would buy a BP/W from a local shop where they could spend as much time as needed getting you configured properly. Someone who's 6'4" and 440lbs is going to present some configuration challenges. Easy enough to do address these with a BP/W, but you need to know how to do it. You don't. And I don't care how good anyone is with customer service they won't be able to optimally address your individual needs over the phone or over the web when it comes to setting up a BP/W. (There's a recent thread where someone tried to go off what info he got from the web to set up his BP/W and still managed to mount the plate completely backwards.)

When I bought my first BP/W setup my LDS spent about an hour and a half with me getting it set up properly; ensuring D-rings in just the right spot, crotch strap set up properly, waist belt and buckle in perfect spot. Then they had me come back with my rig and get completely kitted up and spend an hour or so in the pool to tweak fitting even further. Ended up changing out the STA I thought I needed for a different model, and realized my weighting was fine without the weight pockets I originally bought so they returned those. Did I pay $50 or so more than the same rig would have cost me on line? Hard to say when you consider the incremental value of having the proper gear, properly configured.

I would also recommend DSS. Tobin's customer service is amazing. He will not sell you a rig until he's sure you've put together something that will work for you and your diving. DSS has a variety of plate sizes, which is helpful for someone your size. They also offer bolt-on weight plates, which are a VERY nice way to add weight to your rig if you are doing colder water diving and require a lot of ballast (and I believe DSS is unique in doing this).

this is what is pushing me away from a bp\w setup i think i could get the vest type figured out. I do not think the dive shop i get cert with will want to help much unless i get if from them. i do not think the one in florida sells them and i know the one here does not i hope the lds i found not to far from me does what brand do you recommend i buy
Don't want to turn this into an "LDS vs Online" thread, but if I were you I would buy a BP/W from a local shop where they could spend as much time as needed getting you configured properly. Someone who's 6'4" and 440lbs is going to present some configuration challenges. Easy enough to do address these with a BP/W, but you need to know how to do it. You don't. And I don't care how good anyone is with customer service they won't be able to optimally address your individual needs over the phone or over the web when it comes to setting up a BP/W. (There's a recent thread where someone tried to go off what info he got from the web to set up his BP/W and still managed to mount the plate completely backwards.)

When I bought my first BP/W setup my LDS spent about an hour and a half with me getting it set up properly; ensuring D-rings in just the right spot, crotch strap set up properly, waist belt and buckle in perfect spot. Then they had me come back with my rig and get completely kitted up and spend an hour or so in the pool to tweak fitting even further. Ended up changing out the STA I thought I needed for a different model, and realized my weighting was fine without the weight pockets I originally bought so they returned those. Did I pay $50 or so more than the same rig would have cost me on line? Hard to say when you consider the incremental value of having the proper gear, properly configured.

While I would not do this myself and really don't see a need to .. you could have your LDS get one of Tobin's setups for you and then they would help you .. But, do you want help from a place that doesn't sell them?

I would give Tobin a PM ( cool_hardware52 ) and see if he can answer your questions to your satisfaction

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom