Any recent cocos reports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lemon

Reaction score
Headed to Cocos next month for my second trip there. Well aware that it is an el nino year so i was wondering if anybody has been there so far this year that would care to share their experience/conditions? Thanks!

Also go to either the Aggressor website and look for Captain's Log for Okeanos, or to the Underseahunter website and look up Trip and Guest Reports. They may not be up to the minute, but at least within the past month.

Lemon - when are you going? I will be there next week (26 May). Will provide full report when we return. I have heard that the waters are cooling down again and the action is heating up.

Lemon - when are you going? I will be there next week (26 May). Will provide full report when we return. I have heard that the waters are cooling down again and the action is heating up.

Heading to cocos end of june. Have a great trip! Look forward to your report.

Headed to Cocos next month for my second trip there. Well aware that it is an el nino year so i was wondering if anybody has been there so far this year that would care to share their experience/conditions? Thanks!

We were just there last week, if that helps any. Here's a link to the dive log (and probably lots more details than you may wish to know).

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5293038-post10.html

Happy and safe diving!

We are leaving out in the AM and staying at Puerta del Sol. Will try and post a report as well when we return. Not firmed up on a dive op yet but glad to read your report.

Lemon - sorry I haven't been able to prepare a full report, but wanted to give you some information. Right now the water is very warm - 80s. The thermocline is very deep (100ft) if that. Due to the warm water temps, hammers are very few and far between. The DMs advised that there has been almost no cleaning behavior since December. However, we did get some good cleaning action at Dirty Rock and Manuelita the last two days. Definitely saw some schools of 30-50 hammers, most of the time, above us. The DMs also reported almost no silvertip action at Silverado. We did see a juvenile silvertip at Dos Amigos Grande. There was definitely a spotted eagle ray convention as we saw them on almost every dive. In my past 5 trips, I have maybe seen 1 or 2, but never the numbers we saw this time. On one dive at Manuelita there were at least 7 in one school. We also saw a manta and a mobula. No whale sharks. We did see tigers on several dives - which kind of freaked me out, but they simply checked us out, did a quick pass, and were gone. Some sites had some current, but nothing like I have experienced in the past. The crossings in May were a little rough due to some disturbances on the Pacific coast.

Back
Top Bottom