Anybody know anything about the dive boat that sunk this morning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That guy is called the Captain.

500 - 999 shore dives you say?

Oh, I get it, you are disparaging my profile information! Although you seem to be under the misimpression that total dives only include shore dives; what's up with that?

My profile information is correct, although I certainly don't need to prove it to you! I was certified in the 1980s and my husband and I have enjoyed many warm-water, diving vacations - including more than a dozen liveaboards. The years add up and so does the number of dives, but we have scaled back in more recent years. Nowadays we usually only do 1 dive trip per year and we typically get between 12 and 20 dives depending on the conditions.

In our early days we tried some cold-water quarry and lake dives but didn't care for it. Most of our dives have been done in Florida, the Bahamas, and areas throughout the Caribbean; but we have also ventured a bit further afield to places such as the Red Sea, Cabo, and Hawaii - but unfortunately not the Far East or Australia or Africa - yet!

Most of our dives have been boat dives, but we've been to Bonaire 6 times and we have also done shore dives from Curacao, Florida, Grand Cayman, Roatan, St. Croix, and Mexico.

I've never claimed to be anything other than a warm-water, recreational, vacation diver - and there are many SB members with far more experience and expertise than me - but we have dived in a number of popular locations and venues and I am happy to share my information with others that may be interested.

Just as I am also happy to learn from the experiences of others - just not from you, of course! You seem to think that every guy that drives a dive boat is a licensed Captain, and that shore diving is the only type of diving.

You really should get your facts straight before making inaccurate, snide comments about others.

Last edited:
Oh, I get it, you are disparaging my profile information! Although you seem to be under the misimpression that total dives only include shore dives; what's up with that?

I probably should just stay out of this, but my interpretation of the "shore dives" remark was because you did not refer to the boat operator as the "captain" and from his perspective anyone who has ever been on a dive boat would only refer to the boat operator as the "captain." Perhaps he strayed from the Grumpy Old Divers Forum.

Very unfortunate situation....I only carry enough cash to tip the crew....my glasses and phone, room card would be in my dry sac.....and I would demand that I dive and recover my belongings...or at least be there when they are! What compounded this for the OP was he came off as a cruise ship for a three hour cruise?

As a boater and seeing the picture showing the boat well situated in the waters leads me to believe there was a catastrophic hull breach that brought the boat to Davey Jones Locker.

Very unfortunate situation....I only carry enough cash to tip the crew....my glasses and phone, room card would be in my dry sac.....and I would demand that I dive and recover my belongings...or at least be there when they are! What compounded this for the OP was he came off as a cruise ship for a three hour cruise?
A three hour tour, a three hour tour... Was the boat the SS Minnow? :D

I am a veteran of many, many boat trips. I never bring anything with me that I cannot afford to lose if/when things go sideways because eventually they will.

A three hour tour, a three hour tour... Was the boat the SS Minnow? :D

I am a veteran of many, many boat trips. I never bring anything with me that I cannot afford to lose if/when things go sideways because eventually they will.
Well, I can feel some sympathy for a cruiser who has to haul along extra stuff including dough. It's not like it's a piece of cake to go back to the boat and collect more stuff if they want to shop, go for supper etc. All that stuff needs to be hauled along with when they leave the boat.

Hi guys,
My name is Thiago (twitter @thikoga) and I was in the dive boat during my Cruise with Royal Caribbean over the new year. It’s a terrible situation as you guys can imagine and there were NOT just experienced divers over there. (It was not a discovery class either.

I'll be in Cozumel in just over a week on a Royal Caribbean cruise. I'm definitely NOT a cruise ship kind of person, but I won the cruise (Powerball Power Cruise), so it's free and it's getting me a day of diving in Coz, so I won't complain. But I sure as hell won't dive with Royal Caribbean's contract dive operator. I'm already booked with Aldora. For less than what Royal Caribbean is charging for 2 AL80 tank dives, I'll get 2 HP Steel 120s WITH Nitrox.

But I sure as hell won't dive with Royal Caribbean's contract dive operator. I'm already booked with Aldora. For less than what Royal Caribbean is charging for 2 AL80 tank dives, I'll get 2 HP Steel 120s WITH Nitrox.

And... you get two dives that won't be limited by the lowest common denominator of a large group of maybe-dive-once-a-year divers.

Having money on board is not uncommon. There are many operators that prefer cash rather than credit cards or PayPal to settle the account at the end of the dives. I am not certain if this person was by himself or with a group and he was responsible for payment. I carry my cash in a waterproof container around my neck and placed inside my wetsuit.
I am pretty sure that in order to operate a boat for dive operations you must be licensed hence being a captain. I had a captain show me his license that he had to replace because it was damaged.

Well, I can feel some sympathy for a cruiser who has to haul along extra stuff including dough. It's not like it's a piece of cake to go back to the boat and collect more stuff if they want to shop, go for supper etc. All that stuff needs to be hauled along with when they leave the boat.

I dunno 'bout that... considering the ships almost pull their noses (and before someone asks if I mean the "bow", NO my dives are NOT all beach dives!) right into San Miguel, the few times I've dived from a cruise ship in Coz I've found it pretty convenient to zip from the caleta back to the ship to rinse and leave gear, and then walk into town.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom