anyone ever voluntarily paid the 16% duty tax?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually I paid his asking price, but nice try :)

What I commented on was that for some reason, these threads seem to be endemic to Cozumel tourists. Take that as you will

popcorn.gif

I was recently 'criticized' by a friend who lives there for buying a guitar off a street vendor and not haggling enough.

Actually I paid his asking price, but nice try :)

Well I would contend you will always pay the vendor's price, but please reconcile these quotes. You didn't haggle enough or you didn't haggle?

What I commented on was that for some reason, these threads seem to be endemic to Cozumel tourists. Take that as you will

Using the same amount of statistics you present, I would assert the Cozumel forum is the MOST active of any of the SB destination forums and as such delves much deeper in the locality. Where as many other destinations might, for alot of people, be a once in a lifetime trip, Cozumel is often repeatedly visited. Hence the SB Cozaholics know more about it and can talk more aspects of it.

As I said, most everyone leaves Cozumel and thinks of it as their "La Isla."

It's naive to say that this behavior is limited to Cozumel or to Mexico.

There are many websites devoted to finding mules for merchandise imports to other countries all around the globe and none mention declaring and paying duty at entry. In fact, some inform on how to beat the duty, especially for countries with high import taxes. Luckily, Mexico's taxes are not high.

How many US tourists return home without declaring their overages on cigarettes and liquor? Many, many, many.

Years ago, I toured China by bicycle with an international group of elite cyclists. For their return home, many in that group padded their bicycles (in bike boxes) with Chinese rugs -- I'm talking 4-6 silk rugs per person -- and, to my knowledge, no one declared those rugs or paid import duty to their home countries.

Same applies to the international movement of artwork, jewelry, designer clothing, electronics and other items.

I'm not posting about the specifics of regulation. Just saying that non-declared importation by individuals is a constant reality all over the world, which is why inspectors have work...

I always do my best to adhere to all laws and taxing requirements.

Is the NSA still reading these?

What is it about Cozumel that makes people worry about such insignificant (compared the the total cost of the trip) amounts? I've never been there but all I see is threads about how to save a few bucks on meals, taxis, hotels and now import duties. Call it a contribution the local economy & move on IMO. Sheesh

It's not that I'm against paying the tax, but I've already paid 6.25% tax on them to the state. It's like everyone wants some.

Eileen

It's not that I'm against paying the tax, but I've already paid 6.25% tax on them to the state. It's like everyone wants some.

Eileen

I have a special. It only a 1% tax. I'll send the address for the check. Make it out to "Jefe Tequila Fund Tax."

What? That would be like volunteering to shoot yourself in the foot. One year my small group decided to bring in some prime tri-tips for cooking on the grill. Well, half of them got confiscated. The rest got eaten later by us!!!! B.

...please reconcile these quotes. You didn't haggle enough or you didn't haggle?

I asked for his 'best price' which was the same price he initially quoted, and I paid it. Happy now?

It's naive to say that this behavior is limited to Cozumel or to Mexico

That's probably why nobody said that

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom