Aqualung Legend LX ACD Supreme vs. Apeks XTX 50s or 200s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

codecruncher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm about to drop some serious coin on two sets of regs (extra is for the pony or for the wife when she decides to come along). These two are the ones I'm considering. Diving will be cold water (Wisconsin lakes and quarries) and a couple of warm water trips per year.

Like the idea of an identical set - easy to tell if one isn't acting right vs. the other, spare parts, ease of finding service for both, etc.

One LDS sells & services both Aqualung and Apeks. Two others only Aqualung and other brands - no Apeks.

That got me thinking that the Aqualung falls into that "parts and service anywhere" sort of handiness vs. trying to find Apeks service due to some issue on a long trip.

The other kicker is the special they've got going now that gets you a paired octo for free. I like the Legend octo better than the Apeks Egress which appears to lack any sort of venturi adjustment for free flow issues.

They both seem to get rave reviews on cold water diving and are both diaphragm 1st stages that are supposed to be easier/less complicated to service than Scubapros (and cold water friendly like the MK17 diaphragm would be).

Anyone have 1st hand experience tearing down both of these brands?

Any other thoughts if it was your coin?

I've got one quote for $489 for the Legend LX Supreme - that including the octo and a real, local, US authorized warranty seems like a helluva deal so far.

I should add I picked up a pair of Catalina AL80s cheap - does anyone know if the hose routing between the Legend 1st stage vs. the XTX200 1st stage is a bit easier for shorter neck tanks? I thought I read the XTX200 1st stage can be a bit tight on the shoulder of these tanks?

Thanks - I'm aware that Aqualung has the exclusive US distribution rights for Apeks.

But in my experience with the 2 out of 3 LDS, they don't carry or regularly service Apeks, but they do with Aqualung regs.

That's what led me down this road of "maybe it isn't so easy to get Apeks parts or service at an Aqualung shop as I thought it would be" line of questioning for the board.

Aqualung distributes Apeks in the United States of America. Apeks is a British company independent of Aqualung.

AL costs more = more $$$ for lds
other than that- flip the coin, ub O rite

codecruncher:
Thanks - I'm aware that Aqualung has the exclusive US distribution rights for Apeks.

But in my experience with the 2 out of 3 LDS, they don't carry or regularly service Apeks, but they do with Aqualung regs.

That's what led me down this road of "maybe it isn't so easy to get Apeks parts or service at an Aqualung shop as I thought it would be" line of questioning for the board.

I wonder why that is? Do they need to be specially certified to work on the Apeks? Maybe the training is harder to get here in the US?

At any rate, you can go wrong with the Legend. They are both outstanding regulators. I went with Scubapro's MK25 because it seems that SP is serviced pretty much everywhere (it also weighed less).

codecruncher:
Anyone have 1st hand experience tearing down both of these brands?

I've got the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme. This is one sweet regulator. I really like it. But the Apeks brands are just as good. They share a lot of the same design features since they are both Aqualung companies.

I'd reccomend another Legend LX to anyone.

Note the only difference in the LX and the LX Supreme is a few cosmetic differences, a mouthpiece lip cover which I liked, and the intermediate pressure is just lowered to about 130-135psi for colder water.

I've got one quote for $489 for the Legend LX Supreme - that including the octo and a real, local, US authorized warranty seems like a helluva deal so far.

$489 for that regulator is a great deal. It's "List price" is $610 for the LX Supreme not including the cost of the Octo, which of course you get free with the Aqualung "Breath Free" Octo deal.

As for Apeks verses Aqualung, you can't go wrong either way. you'll hardly ever find someone who's not happy with either of these choices.

I just bought an AL Legend LX Supreme ACD with the free Legend Octo for $457.50. This is from an authorized dealer with full warranty. PM me if you want more info.

I work on both and you won't go wrong with either one....which ever is cheapest at the moment....I would spend the money on a better octo but that's me I want both my seconds to be top notch, because in real life the one the OOA diver is going for is the one your breathing off and then your left with whatever you got cheap...not good...IMHO....
Yarg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom