• Yes

Votes: 43 32.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 50.0%
  • Working on it, or intend to soon...

Votes: 23 17.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to mention figuring out how to zip up a rear-entry drysuit without trashing the really expensive zipper!

My hog dry suit is front entry- problem solved :)

Reactions: Jax
Not to mention figuring out how to zip up a rear-entry drysuit without trashing the really expensive zipper!

I've seen some different methods used. One lady I know uses a dog leash, then reaches back and unclips the leash once the suit's zipped. Another uses a simple J-snorkel ... one of the few legitimate uses for a snorkel I've seen in scuba diving. Yet another just hooks the zipper loop around the hinge of his hatchback and moves his body to close the zipper ... a little shrug releases the zipper loop when he's done.

It's amazing how creative drysuit folks can be when they don't have a p-valve ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've seen some different methods used. One lady I know uses a dog leash, then reaches back and unclips the leash once the suit's zipped. Another uses a simple J-snorkel ... one of the few legitimate uses for a snorkel I've seen in scuba diving. Yet another just hooks the zipper loop around the hinge of his hatchback and moves his body to close the zipper ... a little shrug releases the zipper loop when he's done.

It's amazing how creative drysuit folks can be when they don't have a p-valve ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I use a bungee cord on my boat hooked to the top of the upright dive ladder,works fine just make make sure no undergarments get out or otherwise :shocked2:

:).

I think all dive training should have some sort of this covered in the course, Go for it get it! I think worth while training! I same lake dive with my pal's note not BUDDY'S! and when with newer divers I dive buddy side by side arm reach and in view all times!
reason 1 is most divers I see are more than > a few fin kicks or arm's reach away from the so called buddy!
and in a major failure or OOA its to late! and as more dive training gets E training or dumbed down I am sure a increase in accidents will rise even thou scuba diving is a dying sport :shocked2: due to the baby boomers are the last of the Sea Hunt,Jacque Cousteau,,Flipper crowd

Er, um, darned how you put that first question! :lol: The "or" is an "and" for me.

I took the course for the purpose of improving self-sufficiency while diving with others . . . My permanent dive buddy doesn't dive like the buddy I strive to be, and so I wanted the self-sufficiency. I also had a dive with an insta-buddy of the type "that makes you go 'hmmmmm'". I also recognized back then that I would probably dive by myself . . . but I want more dives under my belt before I do more than play around in 30-40' feet of a shallow bay or lake. I did not dive solo before the course.

Not at all. I would have learned this over time, but I do not have the diving mentors here that others have. As a newb, the course introduced me to many things, such as additional cutting tools, spare mask, signalling devices, etc. Before that course, if my buddy and I were blown off the line, we'd have nothing but that weak whistle that comes with the BCDs. I also learned about the rule of thirds.

Interestingly, after that course, I got into a discussion here on ScubaBoard where I was soundly castigated for using the 'rule of thirds', because it was for cave diving only, and "I wasn't properly trained in it", yada, yada.

I finally said - Look, I'm a newb, and if I dive solo, I LIKE the idea of diving one third out, one third back, and a third for emergencies. I also said that maybe after I have a 1000 dives, I won't be so conservative, but for now, as a newbie, the rule of thirds gives me comfort in its conservatism. Why is that so wrong?

. . . crickets chirping . . .

So many rush to pass judgement and tell people they're stupid, without bothering to understand the others' points of view. The boats, probably inundated by people that think they are better than they are, want to see a tangible proof of skills, either by demo or by card. Others will pursue the card because they either want to make the boat feel better or they like to collect certs. Lastly, others will pursue the 'card' because of the opportunity to learn with a practiced instructor and because we prefer to learn from the mistakes of others.

:idk:

I'd take a solo course if someone could point out one skill the solo diver needs that a buddy diver does not need, besides the use of pony bottle.

The big difference in my mind between buddy and solo diving is a psychological one.

Adam

I'd take a solo course if someone could point out one skill the solo diver needs that a buddy diver does not need, besides the use of pony bottle.

It appears that the most valuable aspect of having a solo card is to satisfy the legal requirements of some dive operators. That's the only reason I "acquired" one...

In the UK, I found that many boat operators would accept a technical diving qualification, in lieu (as superior?) to a solo diving card.

Around Asia, I've never had a problem, never asked for a card... but that's probably because I've done all my solo diving through dive centres I've worked at.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom