Article: Review: DRIS 28lb BP/W System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice review. That is a smoking price for a complete setup. Let us know how that wing holds up to long-term use. I also quickly went to the bp/w setup after trying a scubapro jacket style bc, then a Zeagle Ranger, than an Oceanic Excursion, etc. Currently using an oxycheq ss plate with an oxycheq mach v extreme wing. I was completely sold on the bp/w after the first dive.

Thanks for the review. That price points makes getting into a bp/w a no-brainer.

sweet review...I started on a loaner, and now looking for a new Bc due to a blow out that happened, and the manufacture, wants and arm and a leg for a new bladder. you have a great set up
steve

I have looked at the bp/w and it looks like it would be great where space is a problem, but I do have a question. I noticed the wingnuts holding the unit together, do you have any problam with them digging into your back.
stewart

No, they are recessed. I can honestly attest that I've dove this rig without even a t-shirt and it feels fine out of the water and in the water.

I purchased the exact same outfit from DRIS. I've had it for about a year and have been on about 200 dives on it. I haven't had a single problem with it and have been lugging around an HP-130 cylinder.

I too have had only excellent experiences working with DRIS. One comment on the weight: Rich suggested I upgrade to a stainless steel backplate - that gives you a good 6 or so additional pounds on your back instead of on your belt.

I was worried about the wingnuts as well, but it has never once been an issue.

On the whole, big fan of both the shop and the BC.

Joseph

Ps- Writing this on an iPhone so please excuse any typos!

what's a "pinch flat"

---------- Post added January 16th, 2015 at 04:18 PM ----------

also, it looks bigger at the top, does it make your feet sink?

pinch flat is when the backplate or bottom of the tank pinches the wing and creases the bladder causing it to leak. Big problem

Yes it is bigger on the top, follows almost an identical shape to the Halcyon Eclipse 30lb wing. Typically single tank divers have a problem with going nose down due to the tank valves and first stages being as high as they are. This is a very good wing design, especially for drysuit diving

Thinking about getting this BP/W for myself and my daughter. We are both warm water recreational divers with 50+ dives with rental jacket style BCs. Thinking of getting our own BCs and regs so thought BP/W would be nice. Also because my daughter wants to become a dive master after she gets her degree!

We both are lightly weighted, 8lbs for me and 4lbs for her with full 3mm wetsuits. Do you recommend SS or AL for us. It would be great not to need to use additional weights.

Also, curious whether divers using BP/W ever use a weight belt? Or do they use weight pockets and if so where are they attached.

Thanks for your help.

Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom