As mad as it gets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To whom it may concern:

I have recently purchased a full set of gear from one of your dealers in Claremore, Oklahoma, Sub-Surface Water Sports. I had placed it on layaway and payed it off.

It won't help you now, but never do "layaway" you have almost no consumer protection on your purchase.

Buy it on a credit card, so if the merchandise never arrives or isn't as promised, you can just tell the CC company, get a refund and get on with your life.

Terry

Did the shop file for bankruptcy protection? If so, you should be listed as a creditor (probably not likely that will help though). What happened to the assets of the store? You may want to consider a small claims court action against the company (again if they are out of business you may have a tough road to hoe there).

May be worth a short consultation with a local lawyer to get some advice.

As an alternative - you may want to PM Doug Krause to see if he could help with an exchange of the BCD. Not sure if he can help but it might be worth a try.

EMS I dont know much about that shop as I am very dedicated to my shop. I dont know if you got any gear yet or not but I would suggest giving Randy a try. He runs Poseidon adventures in Tulsa. I have special ordered many products from him and he was very helpful with giving time frames to expect and his measuring has been dead on for everything I was sized for.

Hes a little ways up the road but I can guarantee as a customer he has kept me coming back!

So what is going on? Was this ever resolved? Did Oceanic ever acknowledge any communications?

Sub-Surface Water Sports does still show as an Oceanic dealer on the Oceanic site. Also, on the Oceanic site, at the top of the page is the "CONTACT US" with phone numbers and mailing addresses. Is all that just a facade or is Oceanic willing to communicate directly with users in some cases? Is the gear really that bad that 1000 such contacts per day is reasonable?

Sure, the retailer has to be the first guy in line when there is a problem. But at what point does the manufacturer step in to police the network he built when his retailer drops the ball?

Update ok thanks to everyone for the info. I never got my money back. I did get some of my gear the BCD he gave was the wrong one. I ordered the excursion but he gave me the islander. On the computer I order the veo 100 nx he gave me the VT3.I can’t complain about the computer it is far above what I ordered but I still have no regs what so ever. So talk to the regional sales rep for Oklahoma his name is bill. I have talked with him right after this all started. He done all he could to help but there’s not much he could do other then call him and ask him to give me my gear. The dive shop has closed its doors and they still owe oceanic money. The last time I talked to bill from oceanic they were trying to get a hold of him and he had no idea they closed so I told him all the info I had on the man. I told him that if he wanted to know where he was storing all the gear. I would be more than happy to show him.
So all the gear he did finally give me came close to the amount of money I spent but I am still out a reg set so know diving tell I get that last piece
Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

ems, you can still dive now if you want. Just rent a set of regs when you want tp dive. It beats waiting till you can save to buy a set of regs.

Given the circumstances I am surprised Oceanic would not offer you cosmetically blemisihed equipment at siginifcantly discounted prices. Seems like it would be a nice gesture which would not cost them a thing. Just my 2psi woth...

Wow, I was looking for a space to compliment the Oceanic Cust. Svc dept! I acquired an Excursion BC a couple of months ago, and in getting it to fit and be comfy, I snapped one of the handles for the weight pouches...so I emailed them from their website, asking for a diagram of parts available, or a parts list....I got an answer back from a Mark Lane saying there wasn't really a parts list available, but that he would come up with a replacement handle for me, probably used, but perfectly serviceable...sounded like a great plan to me....so, within 2 weeks I get a replacement weight pouch with handle attached (@ $31.00 retail on their website)!! I have nothing but thanks for good and quick customer service from Oceanic....

Back
Top Bottom