Asia in August 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm originally from the Philippines and have dove Malapascua (Jan 2009 Stayed in Malapascua Exotic Island Dive resort) and Bohol. Malapascua is where you could dive and see the thresher sharks. You fly into Cebu and land trip of 2.5 hrs to the northern tip of the province and a 30 min boat ride to the island. I have dove around the nearby islands of Mactan, Cebu.

Bohol (June 2009) has several fantastic dive sites I have seen. Stayed at Ananyana Resort, pricey but worth it. Unfortunately, your choice of months to go July-Aug are not the best of months since these are the rainy season. March - May are the best months since these are summer months (or Nov - Feb, cooler months) but humidity is the downside. But since you live in HK I guess you're use to it.

I was just in the Philippines 2 weeks ago and dove the Apo Island in Dumaguete. Stayed in Atlantis Dive resort which I would highly recommend. Great dive shop, DMs and DIs and the food is fantastic. They also have a dive resort in Puerto Galera, this would be my next dive destination. Both dive resorts are favorite places of foreigners. They spend 5-6 days each place.

Sogod, Leyte (also in the Philippines) has 2 great walls, corals, and abundant macro species. Whale sharks show up even not in season. Normally they show up in Feb-July. But I saw pictures taken just last month of several of these sharks. I was there last Sept and stayed in Sogod Dive resort.

There are 5 or 6 Japanese wrecks in Coron, Palawan plus you can do a lake dive with 3 thermoclines. Unfortunately the time I went there visibility wasn't great since it was the time of the big typhoon that hit manila and it was raining on and off in coron. So it was difficult to see the wrecks as a whole but we still penetrated them. I was there last Oct and stayed in Sea Dive Resort. Rooms are so-so but cheap ave price of $30 but they have their own dive shop and boats.

And of course the Maldives, was there in last Nov. I didn't do the liveaboard since I was with my wife who only snorkels but the dive center of the Hilton Iru Fushi hotel took us to best dive sites within 30-45 mins of the resort. They have a great dive resort. Best time to go around Nov as this is a slow month if you decide to do the landbase.

Don't dive in Phuket in July as I was rained out the whole stay but got to go back in Aug. Bali was great last Sept, just did the USS Liberty wreck for the day. Did several business trips to HKG from March til Aug that's why I was able to do these side trips to dive.

Tapas Bali,

Thanks. In fact, I had been thinking about a Komodo live-aboard. My thought is that it would be best to either leave from or end the trip at Labuan Bajo/Flores, or other destination nearer to Komodo. I say this because, based upon my research, the diving nearer to Bali is not as good as it is near Flores so I would want to minimize the diving closer to Bali and the cruising time to get to thee good diving.

In terms of boats, what are your views on the Seven Seas and Peter Hughes Komodo Dancer? Both have itineraries similar to what I have just described.

Many thanks,

Jason

Jason, we went to Pulau Weh on July 2009. All days were productive although the seas was a bit chopy - strong current in some location, washing machine at the best site, ie. Batu Tokong. But, strong current mean big fish, sharks, rays, tuna and baracuda. If you love moray eels, batu tokong is the place. We saw dozens moray eels in one diving incl. the biggest moray i've seen.
Lumba-lumba house reef is nice place for night diving; lot of small critters.

Hi Jason,

I've been to most of the places mentioned in this string - so hopefully I can help you a little :eek:)

Lets keep in mind that we're talking about july/august. For that reason I wouldn't go to Philippines. The diving there is much better in march/april/may (For instance you can only go to Tubatuha for those 3 months - no access the rest of the year. - I'm going there in the end of March - can't wait :eek:))

From my point of view Indonesia has some of best diving in South East Asia. And july/august is a really good time going there. If we're talking macro especially Raja Ampat, Alor, Bunaken and Lembait is suitable.

Bali has some really good wall diving up north - and decent macro diving around Nusa Penida (south).

Pulau Weh is a really really nice place to hang out - and the diving's really cheap. For sure it's a place where you get good value for money.

But if I only had the chance to go to one of the wonderful places in Indonesia it would be Komodo. The fish life is amazing - big schools and macro combined. I love it there.

Lots of people prefer liveaboards - but you can reach all the dive sites on day trips as well. So it's a matter of what you like the most.

Hope you'll have a great trip :eek:)

Hi Katja,

Thanks for the great advice. It seems like you have made the trek from Denmark quite a few times to have covered all of these dive locations in Indonesia.

Based upon the comments that I have received here and my own research, I am leaning towards the Komodo area (consistent with your recommendation). I will probably do a liveaboard, but don't want to start and end in Bali (too much time cruising). This means that I am probably looking at Peter Hughes or Seven Seas. Do you know of any others that do not do a roundtrip from Bali.

Other places that are on my list are Pulau Weh, but in my discussions with Lumba Lumba Diving, they say that the waves are a bit bigger and there is more of a chance of rain at that time of year. So maybe I'll save this for the October of 2010 or the spring on 2011. I also looked at Alor Divers, but they said that the wind in July/August can affect visibility on some of the sites. Finally, Walea, near the Togians, sounds really good and even during this timeframe, because the dive sites are mostly in a large protected bay, I get the sense that the conditions are good (unlike other locations in the Togians).

A place that I haven't researched yet, but would be keen to explore is East Timor. Have you been?

Before my summer trip, I am going to the Andaman Islands in India and then to Raja Ampat on the Peter Hughes boat.

Again, many thanks, and more thoughts or insights would certainly be welcome.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Oh Yes - I leave Denmark to go diving as much as possible :eek:)

About Komodo - I use to take a flight from Bali to Labuan Bajo - and then go diving with one of the dive centers there. They all do liveaboards - and if money is an issue this is a much cheaper way of doing it - In stead of the boats from Bali.

About Pulau Weh - was there in the beginning of July and again in October last year. And have friends there - so know pretty much about it.

You can stay and dive with Lumba Lumba - or you can go a little further to Iboih beach and dive with Rupiah divers.

The thing with diving in Indonesia is - that everywhere they have current and waves, but you seem to been experienced - so it won't be a problem.

DivingPulau Weh in July was from my point of view no problem. There was a couple of time where we had to change dive sites because of the lack of experience in the group. But better safe than sorry. And the weather was sunny and beautiful with short rains a couple of times in the afternoon.

October was a worse - when it comes to current, waves and sun. But still nice :eek:)

Alor I went to summer 2008 in July - and same story. The weather decided where we went. And from my point of view the vizz was fine. It's a lovely place - it got it own time pocket :eek:)

Sorry haven't done East Timor or Togians. But another option is Wakatobi. Only heard really good things about it.

Well sounds like you're having a good plan - who knows. I might see you around Komodo - might go there as well ;o)

Tapas Bali,

Thanks. In fact, I had been thinking about a Komodo live-aboard. My thought is that it would be best to either leave from or end the trip at Labuan Bajo/Flores, or other destination nearer to Komodo. I say this because, based upon my research, the diving nearer to Bali is not as good as it is near Flores so I would want to minimize the diving closer to Bali and the cruising time to get to thee good diving.

In terms of boats, what are your views on the Seven Seas and Peter Hughes Komodo Dancer? Both have itineraries similar to what I have just described.

Many thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason, if you are pretty flexible about the date and you want to do and extended komodo dive, how about Ondina? They have a special trip on Sept 16 - 25, 2010. It will be started in Komodo & ended on Maumere (another Indonesian popular dive destination).

Seven Seas & Peter Hughes are on the same level: high end Liveaboards. Frankly speaking every year there are more & more Liveaboards start to operate here in Indonesia.

Usually the special trip you are looking for is done by liveaboards when they are relocating from Raja Ampat - Komodo or vice versa. That is why almost all liveaboards have similar itinerary.

I will pm you special offers that we have for liveaboards & dive resorts all around Indonesia that we co-operate with.

Tapas Bali,

Unfortunately, a trip that ends after about 20 August is difficult for me. Most of July and the first half of August are the time period that I am looking at.

I am familiar with the Ondina, but their standard Komodo itinerary starts and ends in Bali, which is not my preferred route. The September trip that you mentioned sounds very good, but i am afraid that the dates do not fit with my schedule.

The Seven Seas and Peter Hughes boats offer what I feel are better itineraries for a komodo trip. In the case of the Peter Hughes, it goes one-way from Bali to Komodo or vice versa, thereby reducing the amount of time sailing around Bali where the dives will not be as spectacular as those nearer to Flores. The Seven Seas routing seems even better, departing and returning to Labuan Bajo (ie spending the entire trip around the Flores/Komodo area).

I am very tempted to book a trip on one of these two boats in the July/August time period. If not, I may go to Pulau Weh or Walea. Thought on this?

Jason

Jason

Jason,

I have been to Pulau Weh my self but unfortunately did not have a chance to diving & I have never been to Walea. So I could not give personal comment about the diving.

All I can give you is the information about the accommodation in those two places.

In Pulau Weh ("Pulau" is Indonesian word for "Island") there are some diver centers with quite basic accommodation. This island is located on the most western part of Indonesia and you can go there by fly to Medan international airport and then continue fly to Aceh before you take a ferry to go to this island.

While in Walea there is one luxury dive resorts that I think you might want to consider as your next diving destination, by seeing your previous dive trip record. To go to Walea, you need to fly to Manado - North Sulawesi, and then continue with chartered airline to go there. You also can stop & dive either in Lembeh/Bunaken before your staying with Walea.

Hopefully this short explanation will help you in choosing your next dive destination.

Have a Sunny Day,

If you want to be on a decent live aboard in a new place, maybe look at Ambon & the Banda Islands in August on the Archipelago Adventurer II or Black Manta?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom