Asia in August 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonG

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Everyone,

I am planning a week of diving in August 2010 and am looking for a recommendation or two on destinations in Asia.

I live in Hong Kong and have been to a number of places in the region already, including Sipadan, Bunaken, Lembeh, Wakatobi, Palau, Truk, Sangalaki and Thailand. I am looking for a place where the conditions would be at their best or at least very good during the July-August timeframe and would prefer somewhere that I haven't been to before. In this regard, I am considering Pulau Weh or Komodo on a liveaboard. Any thoughts on either of these locations or ideas on other destinations that would be interesting?

In terms of experience and interest, I generally prefer macro, but am open to all types of diving and don't mind challenging conditions (600+ dives).

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jason

Jason you are lucky you have dived the holy grails of the coral triangle, yes prehaps Komodo or you should try Phillipines - Cebu, Anilao, Puerto Galera, Apo. Or plainly the Maldivian Atolls via Liveaboard. Well, thats where Im heading in 4 months!

Gee13,

I will be the first to admit that I am very lucky to be able to dive so much in Asia. That said, there are still several important places that I have yet to visit in this region, including Raja Ampat and the Solomons, and some that I want to return to again. I will make an initial trip to RA next spring (on the Peter Hughes boat) and would happily go there again in July-August, but it is too time consuming to get there (even from Hong Kong) on a one week trip.

Your suggestion of the Philippines is a very good one. I have done a little bit of diving in Cebu, but that is it. I would like to go to Tabutaha in the Philippines, but my July-August timing is to late. There is certainly much more to explore though...I will do some research. Was there a place in the Philippines that you particularly liked?

Maldives would be good. Might want to save that for a longer trip. Which boat are going on?

Hi Jason, I actually havent been to the Phillipines but the sites listed are ones im planning to go to as im pretty much on the same goal as you - to dive the best Asia sites. Based on my research and my love of pelagics I am planning Malapuasca, Bohol and Moalboal. Im sure Apo Island would be on the cards as well. Im booked on the Eagle Ray for March. Can't wait for that, Im a fan of channel diving and I will topping that with some Shark and Manta diving off North Male via Eriyadu. :cool2:

July - August timeframe is great for some macro diving in Okinawa. Easy to get to from Hong Kong and great beach and boat diving.

Gee,

I have done a bit of research on Pulau Weh and it seems as though July/August may not offer the best conditions. Honestly, in many parts of Asia, it seems like the best time to dive is March-May and then again late-September to end-November.

I have done my homework yet on the Philippines. Is it possible to dive Malapuasca, Bohol and Moalboal in a one week trip? Presume that you will do a land-based operation? Any suggestions based upon your research?

japan-diver,

Thanks, I am interested; tell me more. Is it possible to do four dives/day? Water temp and vis during July/August? How about accommodations? Recommended dive operation?

Many thanks...Jason

Japan-diver,

I just looked at your web-site....very good. Is there a chance to see mantas or hammerheads in the July/August period? Does the boat go out for three dives every day (weather permitting of course)?

Water temp in Jul-Aug is about 29-30C and viz averages 25m or more in Keramas a bit lower by the mainland. hammerheads are Jan-Mar but mantas are around throughout the year. Accommodations range from very basic to resort style depending on your budget.

If you have Indonesia in your mind,

That's the best time to dive Komodo with Liveaboard, there are so many Liveaboard doing trip there now: Mermaid for sure, The Arenui, Sea Safari, Samata and many more.

Mermaid & Sea Safari do trips from Bali, so you do not need to fly to Labuan Bajo. I personally dive with Mermaid last year.

PM me if you need further assistance for your diving trip to Indonesia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom