Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you ever "badge out" fellow LEO's when they break the law?

Randy43068:
What Gidds, no good lookin' cops in your area?
NO! Well except the silly one. He pulled me over then let me go because he thought I was missing a RI inspection sticker then he realized my car is registered in Maine. Good thing he didn't look at the Maine inspection sticker closely....

Randy43068:
and why are you not out chasing really bad guys instead of writing me this ticket?

I get this.. you stopped me because I'm black! No, I stopped you because you were going 20 over the posted limit!

I've gotten both of those more than once.

I've gotten the I pay your salary one once, that was fun. I picked up a line off of a police forum I'm on that I cant wait to try in response. "I pay taxes too, so the way I look at it I'm self employed."

TJCop- Welcome to the board. It is great to see an officer with a real sense of humor here with us!

Being the law abiding citizen that I am, I have few interactions with police other than those here on my island. My old Toyota Tercel probably couldn't break any speed limit anyway (including school zones).

I have only been stopped twice in my life... both within 5-10 minutes. I was driving my brand new truck, purchased in Illinois, on a Florida freeway. When I was pulled over the first time, I couldn't figure out why. The officer told me that I was driving without plates. In Illinois they don't issue plates at purchase time, just temporary cardboard ones (at least at that time). Initially he didn't believe that, but I did convince him (maybe it was the baker's dozen donuts I gave him). Then a few minutes later I'm pulled over by another cop on the same stretch. Never been pulled over since (and this was in the early 80's).

It sure would be nice if all the states had uniform laws regarding motor vehicles, since we often cross state borders (but NEVER with underaged minor women for illicit purposes... unless you consider twenty-something underaged, at least for me).

Here on the island I have had a few run-ins and even filed complaints (plural) against one officer. He was supposed to be investigating a felony in which I was the victim, but never even talked to the two prime witnesses to the felony despite the fact I told him they were leaving the island in two weeks. He just couldn't be bothered to get up off his butt and walk a block to where they were... yet he can drive half a mile in his official car to drink all afternoon with his wife (and then drive back).

Fortunately I don't let rotten eggs like this guy (he is widely believed to be on the take) affect my attitude towards other officers, several of whom are friends and divers. The lieutenant who is in charge of our local station occasionally consults me on police-related issues.

Wow.. that was long winded! No need to reply, but I'm glad to see you here to answer the questions we may have.

TCDiver1:

This is a big gray area. It depends on what they did and the situation. I have arrested fellow cops before and let some go. I know each person is differant on this, but I look at the whole situation. Was it a minor traffic offense? Did they try and use thier postion as an LE to "Badge out"? These are all things I look at.

TCDiver1:
if by "badge out" you mean the old standby "professional courtesy" then yes, I've done that before.

I probably wouldn't for a OVI (DUI) but for minor things, sure. Same for the firebriars too. :)

If that's selective law enforcement, so be it. I also don't write everyone I stop so it all works out.

Knight1989:
This is a big gray area. It depends on what they did and the situation. I have arrested fellow cops before and let some go. I know each person is differant on this, but I look at the whole situation. Was it a minor traffic offense? Did they try and use thier postion as an LE to "Badge out"? These are all things I look at.
it's situation dependant.

Well you already answered all my questions in your first and second post, thanks.

You David, should be in jail.. I'm thinking you're a walking felony! *laughing*

Back
Top Bottom