Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh the window tint thing is also an officer safty risk. If I cant see in your car, I dont know what your doing..ie pointing a gun at my head, switching drivers or hiding something. As for deserted roads, youd be suprised at the amount of stuff we catch, felony wise, out on those deserted roads.

Well, not really a question, but a story which you may or may not find amusing... :D

I had been living and working in Japan, and had a Japanese driver's license, as well as an international license. An international license, if you've never seen one, is a bit larger than a passport, beige/gray in color, and has page after page of stuff in several different languages. I was preparing to visit my folks in California, so when I made my arrangements from Japan, I reserved a Mustang. When I picked it up at LAX, it had 9 miles on the odometer. It was white with maroon interior, and it was a convertible. (God... This car was a beaut!!)

Anyway... I made the 4-hour drive to visit my folks, and at the end of my visit, I was headed back to the airport. This car just wanted to RUN, and I didn't realize how fast I was going. At least, not until I saw the CHiPs' cherries in the rearview mirror. In Japan, they drive on the "British side" of the road, and I was in the left-most lane, so I pulled over the way I normally would, in Japan. (i.e. the median. Stupid, I know...)

The cop parks his motorcycle and walks up. He's wearing the mirrored shades and the spit-shined boots, and I'm thinking, "Oh crap... I'm dead." He asks for my license and registration. I told him that the car was rented, and handed him my Japanese and International licenses. He looks puzzled and asks, "What the hell is THIS?" I explained. He then asked, "Where are you headed?" I told him that I was on my way to the airport to fly back to Japan and he replied, "Well, I guess it wouldn't do any good to write you a ticket now, would it?" Oh holy crap... There's NO WAY I was going to answer THAT! He flipped my licenses back into my lap and said, "Slow it down, Ace! And when a cop pulls you over, pull onto the shoulder instead of the median!" I said, "Yes sir," and drove away feeling relieved. (and chuckling a little... Just a little.)

P.S. If I get pulled over at night, the first thing I do is turn my engine off and put the keys on the dash. Then I turn on the dome light and keep my hands where the officer can see them. (On my head or out the window.) I've found that traffic cops REALLY appreciate this, and most of the time, I don't get a ticket. (Now that I'm driving a slow pig of a Jeep, I don't get pulled over anymore. LOL)

I got pulled over at 9:30 p.m. on a Wednesday night. There was no one else on the highway, and I was doing 72mph in a 65 zone. A state trooper pulled me over and asked where I was coming from and where I was going. I told him that I was on my way home from a business trip to Chicago. He told me that I had been speeding. I told him that I would appreciate it if he didn't write the ticket and that I would slow down. He puffed himself up and said, "Now that wouldn't be fair to everyone else I've written tickets to this evening, now would it?" Then he starts asking me about my Jeep, wanting to know what size lift I have on it, what kind of tires I've got, and what year it is. When he realized that I really didn't want to be his "special buddy," he went back and wrote the ticket. That's the only cop I've ever dealt with, who was just bound and determined to be a turd. He succeeded. Hrmph....

Knight1989:
Increase safety. A lot of deptments, including my own, wont ever see the revenue generated from citations, so theres no incentive, money wise, to issue a ticket. Its basicly setting some sort of punishment for commiting an illeagal act. I dont usually issue a ticket, unless the individual was grossly speeding, has an attitude, or has commited multiple violations.

To answer a few of the earlier questions, I carry a Berretta 9mm, used to carry a Glock 22, practice weekly, qualify twice a year. No we dont have quota for tickets, its actually been decided by many states that thats an illeagal practice.

Obviously I'm in LE as well, for over 10 years.

Feel free to ask me any questions as well. This is a good idea for a thread.

Hmm, your department may not see the money but the city comptroller does. Did you ever hear of the town outside of Cleveland that generated more income from traffic tiickets then taxes.Currently DC has photo radar to catch "speeders".. Everyone knows that it is revenue driven, not safety.

Your department must not like you guys, Glocks THEN Berrettas... Maybe the department SHOULD get some ticket money so they can issue real guns, H&K or SIG. :)

I have a funny story as well...

I was driving on a brand new road (at the time) Fl414 to my house. I was on the cell (which makes me drive a tad slower)(like the speed limit) and coming upon the top of the overpass when I had hung up. As I reached the summit I saw the four cycle police at the bottom with their radar guns trained on me. I paniced! I look down at the speedometer and WHEW... I was just under the speed limit! Relieved I continued on knowing that I had escaped a trap.

Then the officer stepped out into the road and waved me over!

You know that pit that develops in your stomach when you are in trouble, but don't know why? Oh, I had that big time. So my mind started rushing over all of the possible infractions I might have committed so I could develop a plausible story. Of course all of this transpired in less than 20 seconds and soon I was stopped at the side of the road with the officer leaning on my window. My breath was held, and I was braced for the worst when he finally spoke:

"Sir, we have been out here for almost four hours today, and you are the FIRST driver that was obeying the speed limit. My partners and I want to thank you for your commitment to safety and encourage you to keep up the good work."

"Uh, sure. Thanks for keeping us all safe."

"have a good now, you are free to go."

No, I didn't have the heart to tell him I was just on my cell phone, or that I usually exceed the limit by 7 mph. It was the first time I had gotten a complement and I must say that I make a POINT of obeying the speed limit on that over pass: I really don't want to disappoint him. :D

Where are all the good looking law enforcement officers? :angel: They obviously are NOT around here anywhere...

MikeC:
Hmm, your department may not see the money but the city comptroller does. Did you ever hear of the town outside of Cleveland that generated more income from traffic tiickets then taxes.Currently DC has photo radar to catch "speeders".. Everyone knows that it is revenue driven, not safety.

Your department must not like you guys, Glocks THEN Berrettas... Maybe the department SHOULD get some ticket money so they can issue real guns, H&K or SIG. :)

The citys need for revenue has absolutly zero bearing on me issuing a citation. I know it is a strong revenue source, but deffintly not the motivation for issueing. I dont know a single officer that cares if the city makes money off of tickets.
But, since most of my LE duties have been with the military, none of the money from tickets we issue will go to us, or our base. Actually most of the tickets we issue dont even have a fine attached.
Actually it was my last PD that used the glock. Since right now I'm doing LE training for the military I use the berreta. But I'll be working with a PD down here soon, so I'll be back to my Glocks.

Kevfin:
What firearm do you use?
Have you ever shot someone?
When you were a kid, did you want to be a cop?

is that gun loaded? (you'd be surprised to know how many adults ask this one)

Hummmm, what good is it if it's not?

Kids like to ask if it's a real one.

where are the good looking female divers..

Oh wait, I see 'em! There! :)

*L*

What Gidds, no good lookin' cops in your area?

I have a couple of questions!

Is there an age limit for starting a career with the police in the US?

How long is the education before you starting working?

What's the pay like?

The reason I'm asking (I'm in Norway) is that over here I see a "problem" in school broilers just out of high school and the military, with little or no work/life experience to bring with them into service. The students at the police academy here are very young! Not such a good thing, really. -And then they spend 3 -three- years of bachelor education to become a street cop... So you have many of them applying for further education not before long.

Knight1989:
Oh the window tint thing is also an officer safty risk. If I cant see in your car, I dont know what your doing..ie pointing a gun at my head, switching drivers or hiding something. As for deserted roads, youd be suprised at the amount of stuff we catch, felony wise, out on those deserted roads.

and why are you not out chasing really bad guys instead of writing me this ticket?

I get this.. you stopped me because I'm black! No, I stopped you because you were going 20 over the posted limit!

Back
Top Bottom