Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It does not sound like my report on Tuesday is related, but I just had a failure and returned it under warranty. I was all geared up and ready to bail when there was a loud pop and leaking gas. I shut down the post valve and a friend grabbed some wrenches. The sound made us “sure” the stem O-ring blew (no different from an SPG). We could feel the gas around the hose-Cobalt connection.

We took it apart at the hose (as I am approaching heat prostration in a dry suit), inspected the O-ring (looked fine), put it back on the hose, opened the post valve, no leaks, and bailed off the swim step. About 15 minutes into the dive I looked at the Cobalt and saw no lights and sloshing water. (before everyone gets their underwear in a twist, I had a spare wrist-mount computer for time and depth and doubles with the isolation valve shut for progressive equalization).

The perplexing parts are what could cause the HP air leak, apparently causing the housing to leak water, but stopped leaking HP air after a pressurization cycle. In any case the Atomic customer service rep was very courteous and professional. I really don’t know what the serial number is (registered online but unit is flooded), but I got it more than a year ago.
You may well have experienced the issue that the recall is about. I couldn't say without seeing it, but if the HP air leaked into the case the most likely result would be blowing off the O-ring that seals the lens. That could make a pop a lot like a stem O-ring, and cause leaking air. And of course at that point the insides are no longer sealed. The HP O-ring that seals the sensor to the QD fitting on the Cobalt could conceivably re-seat after depressurization, particularly if you turn on your gas in a proper, gradual manner, causing things to seem normal. So far as I know, the way these have failed is a very slow leak, causing a buildup of pressure inside the case, eventually popping off the lens or the lens O-ring. It sounds as if you have a new Cobalt on the way...

Ron

…So far as I know, the way these have failed is a very slow leak, causing a buildup of pressure inside the case, eventually popping off the lens or the lens O-ring. It sounds as if you have a new Cobalt on the way...

Ron

That fits the scenario except for feeling gas at the hose connection. Gas was on 10-15 minutes before the failure was detected. Most of the dive was around 60'. Near as I can tell, none of water leaked back out… good thing since it looked like a nasty gray soup inside!

No doubt this bad-boy is toast, especially since it flooded Saturday and didn’t get UPS’d back until Wednesday.

What you should do: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled dive computers and return the unit to either an authorized Atomic Aquatics dealer or the Atomic Aquatics factory for inspection. Inspection is a quick and simple process. If your Cobalt passes this inspection it will be returned to you. If not, it must be returned to the factory for repair.

Do all authorized dealers have the necessary gauge and proper training on what is pass/fail already? I'd like to get this checked locally versus sending it back to CA.

I checked the "Find a Retailer" link on the atomic website. It didn't list anyone on Oahu, but I know I bought mine here and have seen the Cobalt for sale in a couple other shops on island.

Last edited:
Do all authorized dealers have the necessary gauge and proper training on what is pass/fail already? I'd like to get this checked locally versus sending it back to CA.

I checked the "Find a Retailer" link on the atomic website. It didn't list anyone on Oahu, but I know I bought mine here and have seen the Cobalt for sale in a couple other shops on island.
They should have the materials, if not now, then they are on the way. The process is very simple- just put the Cobalt into the gauge, if you can see daylight between it and the case the Cobalt needs to go back. If not, they should have a new cover to snap on that has an indicator showing it was checked. You can call Atomic and ask who on Oahu can do this.

Ron

I haven't checked in on the Computer forum for a while so was surprised today when I got a phone call from my dive shop regarding the recall. We checked the serial numbers for my 2 Cobalts over the phone, and sure enough they're both on the list (numbers 2910x and 4010x).

I'll take them into the shop tomorrow and report back on the user experience. I hope they don't have to be sent in to Atomic but it won't be the end of the world if that happens since I don't have any dives planned in the near future.

Btw, both of my Cobalts have performed flawlessly for almost two years. Since the warranties are due to expire soon, maybe Atomic will extend the warranties to compensate me for my trouble, lol.

I stop into Scubatoys today and they have not yet received the kit to perform the test and retrofit. They checked with Atomic and were told that they should be getting the materials in the next few days.

---------- Post Merged on September 29th, 2012 at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous Post was on September 28th, 2012 at 09:43 PM ----------

Just got back from having my Cobalt tested for the recall, it did not have the problem. Total time to get it done was 10 - 15 minutes while I waited. Looks like Atomic may have increased the strength of the attachment arc on the top with the new cover. All in all was not a big deal for me.

Same experience, but I watched as the tech tested it. As Ron said, it was pretty simple and only took a few seconds. No problem for both of my Cobalts.

Hey, I just realized I didn't get a new cover with an indicator, though. Ron, big deal or not? I'm guessing it's not.

Same experience, but I watched as the tech tested it. As Ron said, it was pretty simple and only took a few seconds. No problem for both of my Cobalts.

Hey, I just realized I didn't get a new cover with an indicator, though. Ron, big deal or not? I'm guessing it's not.
Not a big deal, but you should get the new cover. It will identify the unit as checked, and as I understand it the newer covers also have a relief slot (internal, not visible) so that if there ever were a HP leak into the case, it would vent through the O-ring and not blow the lens off.

Ron

Been setting up new Cobalt today, found that if under "Gas/Tank Settings" one chooses "Tank size" in "CF and bar" and enters, for example, 300 bar value, computer displays it as 3000 bar both in this menu and in "Pre-dive check".

Wonder if it is only a display error and calcs are still done correctly?

I didn't see that on my Cobalt. There are 2 locations that you would need to change this setting for it to be correct. One is in the "Gas/Tank Settings" and the other is in the "Preferences" section. When I did both my Cobalt did what I expected it to for the other displays. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom