Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same here, was told Atomic didn't produce enough new covers, would replace mine later when Atomic catches up.

As part of our strategic planning process, we made sure to produce more than enough replacement front covers / faceplates for the Cobalt dive computer recall. Each of our dealers was sent a recall kit, complete with an initial supply of front covers. As dealers inspect Cobalts and replace the old front covers, they contact us to replenish their supply. If your dealer did not replace your front cover, please PM us, email us at sales@atomicaquatics.com or call us at 714.375.1433, so that we may help resolve the issue.

Random Cobalt anecdote: two of the buttons were acting up and it needed to get recall checked... Hawaii dealers are pretty flaky. Called Atomic for an RMA # late last week, dropped it in the mail, and it reached them this Monday afternoon. Fast forward to Thursday evening Hawaii time, there's a FedEx guy at my door. Cobalt is back, buttons work perfectly, and the new front cover is in place on it.

Atomic, you guys rock. One question: did the factory swap out the screen, too, or just the front cover? There's a screen protector on it, but I didn't look closely enough to see if it's the Zagg I had on it before.

There was an announcement that a new version of a divelog program called Subsurface has been released (it's also in the the computer section of this forum). From the samples shown, it looks like a decent divelog program, worth taking a look at anyway, especially since it's free. The Cobalt is on the approved list of dive computers. It downloads and installs without a problem on Windows 7. Program runs, but I cannot get it to connect to my Cobalt to download the dive info.
I'm using the Atomics supplied drivers for the Cobalt. It looks like the program is looking to connect to a serial com port (the program manual tells you that the default for Windows is COM3). On my PC, when the Cobalt connects through USB, it is assigned to serial port TUSB3410.

I have posted this same basic message on the Subsurface 2.1 announcement thread, but thought I might get better results here. Anyone have any thoughts?

There was an announcement that a new version of a divelog program called Subsurface has been released (it's also in the the computer section of this forum). From the samples shown, it looks like a decent divelog program, worth taking a look at anyway, especially since it's free. The Cobalt is on the approved list of dive computers. It downloads and installs without a problem on Windows 7. Program runs, but I cannot get it to connect to my Cobalt to download the dive info.
I'm using the Atomics supplied drivers for the Cobalt. It looks like the program is looking to connect to a serial com port (the program manual tells you that the default for Windows is COM3). On my PC, when the Cobalt connects through USB, it is assigned to serial port TUSB3410.

I have posted this same basic message on the Subsurface 2.1 announcement thread, but thought I might get better results here. Anyone have any thoughts?

All I can say is that they haven't contacted us about help with downloading dives from the Cobalt, and that would be a fairly basic step. We ahve been very willing to help get more programs Cobalt compatible. There is an open source driver created by libdivecomputer that many dive log programs use and that includes Cobalt functionality for connecting, but that may not be enough- they still need to know what data is coming across. I don't know how much documentation is included with libdivecomputer. The Cobalt is a USB device, most other dive computers are serial devices but adapt to use USB. It may be that the drivers that Atomic supplied (particularly if they are the older ones) are not compatible with their program.

But I think they are the only ones that can really answer this question.

Ron

---------- Post Merged at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:11 PM ----------

One question: did the factory swap out the screen, too, or just the front cover? There's a screen protector on it, but I didn't look closely enough to see if it's the Zagg I had on it before.
I'd be surprised if they changed the lens- it isn't necessary to open she seal just to check it, only if they actually need to repair one that fails- and that has been very rare.

Ron

Ron R,

What is the normal turn around time for a Cobalt submitted for a warranty repair? On October 14, Divers Direct in Orlando sent mine in for repair after we were unable to get it to move off of the Settings screen to determine if it was involved in the recall. We are now approaching a month and neither they nor I have heard anything.

Thanks,

I sent my Cobalt to Atomics over a week ago via FedEx. Atomics provided me with a "call tag" (FedEx) to send it in. According to FedEx, Atomics has received the computer. I have received neither an email nor a phone call from Atomics to indicate whether they had gotten it or not.

I called them this morning and they have no record of it yet and they are checking on it. They told me turn around time was 72 hours for a computer that passes the test and another day or two if it needs to be fixed. It's beyond that time frame.

I sent my Cobalt to Atomics over a week ago via FedEx. Atomics provided me with a "call tag" (FedEx) to send it in. According to FedEx, Atomics has received the computer. I have received neither an email nor a phone call from Atomics to indicate whether they had gotten it or not.

I called them this morning and they have no record of it yet and they are checking on it. They told me turn around time was 72 hours for a computer that passes the test and another day or two if it needs to be fixed. It's beyond that time frame.

Good Afternoon Zeagle Eagle,

After our conversation this morning, I asked one of our customer service reps, Jennifer, to follow up with you. Your Cobalt was received on Friday, November 2, inspected and shipped back to you on Monday, November 5. Jennifer emailed you the FedEx tracking number for your Cobalt. If there is anything else we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Mike

Good Afternoon Zeagle Eagle,

After our conversation this morning, I asked one of our customer service reps, Jennifer, to follow up with you. Your Cobalt was received on Friday, November 2, inspected and shipped back to you on Monday, November 5. Jennifer emailed you the FedEx tracking number for your Cobalt. If there is anything else we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Mike

I got the tracking number this afternoon. Thanks for the attention. It's currently on the FedEx truck and should arrive this afternoon. BTW, did you ever figure out why the tracking number came back as invalid?

--Bob

Thanks. We're trying a new approach to get a flash updater that works under Lion/ Mountain Lion. Hope to be able to avoid situations like yours soon.

Ron

Well, it's been a while. Is there Mac functionality for firmware updates yet?

Well, it's been a while. Is there Mac functionality for firmware updates yet?
As it turns out, yes.
We have been testing the app on as many systems as we can get ahold of, including pure USB 3 and Retina systems, Lion and Mountain Lion, and it seems to be working great. Plan is to put it up on the website early next week- hopefully Monday. DEMA is next week, either before or after we should have the next major firmware release going up as well- I'll bet after, as probably Atomic would want to wait until they are back in the office for fielding support questions.

Ron

---------- Post Merged at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Ron R,

What is the normal turn around time for a Cobalt submitted for a warranty repair? On October 14, Divers Direct in Orlando sent mine in for repair after we were unable to get it to move off of the Settings screen to determine if it was involved in the recall. We are now approaching a month and neither they nor I have heard anything.

Thanks,
So far as I hear they are pretty quick- this sounds like something is wrong, I would definitely call or send an email to Atomic. They should be able to tell you status.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom