Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took my Cobalt in to get checked, it passed, no problems. LDS replaced the old face plate. When the old face place was off, they/I noticed quite a bit of sand behind the old face place that wasn't visible when it was on.
Now, I take pretty good care of my dive gear, and this really surprised me. Never thought to remove the face plate to clean the Cobalt after dives! So now that the new face place is on, is there a trick to getting it off without scarring the body of the Cobalt (to clean after future dives?). Thx

Been setting up new Cobalt today, found that if under "Gas/Tank Settings" one chooses "Tank size" in "CF and bar" and enters, for example, 300 bar value, computer displays it as 3000 bar both in this menu and in "Pre-dive check".

Wonder if it is only a display error and calcs are still done correctly?

Can you tell me what firmware version you are using? You can find it in the System Info screen.

The tank size setting is just how the tank volume is defined, it does not change the units used for pressure unless you also change that in preferences to bar. But if you set the tank size as, say 80 cf @ 207 bar (standard 80), that's what should display in the pre-dive check. Ditto if you set the same tank to 12 liters using volume in liters, or 80 cf @ 3000 psi (tank volume expressed as cf @ psi). Is this not what you are seeing?

Ron

---------- Post Merged at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Never thought to remove the face plate to clean the Cobalt after dives! So now that the new face place is on, is there a trick to getting it off without scarring the body of the Cobalt (to clean after future dives?). Thx

PM me and I can send you an instruction sheet, but I wouldn't remove it just for cleaning- rely on rinsing. Nothing in there is going to be hurt by a bit off sand. The snap fittings that hold the cover in place will have a finite number of cycles before they wear out. They aren't designed to be repeatedly removed, just to hold very securely when closed.

Ron

Can you tell me what firmware version you are using? You can find it in the System Info screen.

The tank size setting is just how the tank volume is defined, it does not change the units used for pressure unless you also change that in preferences to bar. But if you set the tank size as, say 80 cf @ 207 bar (standard 80), that's what should display in the pre-dive check. Ditto if you set the same tank to 12 liters using volume in liters, or 80 cf @ 3000 psi (tank volume expressed as cf @ psi). Is this not what you are seeing?

Ron

Writing from the office, but I am pretty sure the firmware was "13/1". This is unit with S/N starting with "2212", so it should have the latest FW from the factory.

First of all, I changed all my settings to metric and bars for pressure. When I enter tank size I input "060" cf (3 digits available for input) and "250" bar (3 digits available as well). I remember it well 'cause I re-did it several times.

At the end I get "60 cf @ 2500 bar" in settings menu and Pre-dive check. When I get home europe-evening I will take some pictures and post it here.

Best regards,
Sergey

---------- Post Merged at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Ok, here are the pictures.

1. Personal settings
2. Entering tank pressure values in CF and bar
3. What I get as a result - 2500 bar
4. Pre-dive check - 2500 bar again
5. System Info

1.jpg2.jpg5.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Looks like smth is wrong here.

Best regards,
Sergey

---------- Post Merged at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Ok, after playing with settings I somehow managed to get it working right. I just input all zeros into pressure field, press confirm and re-enter a correct value. Now it is all fine. Another way I think is to delete glitched gas mix and re-create it.

Now it is solved, but still a strange software bug right from the factory.

Best regards,
Sergey

Sergey,

Thanks for the detailed description and pictures. It definitely looks like an extra zero in your display of tanks size, but I have been unable to reproduce this here. I've tried changing the tanks size settings in 1.13 and it displays correctly in bar in every instance I have seen.

What happens if you switch to cf@ psi and back to cf@ bar? Or to liters? You should see a correct conversion of the various tanks sizes to the different units. You are obviously seeing an incorrect display, but I don't yet understand how you got there. We would really like to figure this out- it's how we improve the product, so thanks for bringing this up.

Ron

OK, we are able to reproduce it now- it came up in Europe, because it involves having the tank size in liters at some point, then trying to convert to a volume @ pressure format. If you have the tank size set to liters, exit the gas setup screen, then come back to the screen and change to cf@ bar, you can get a display value with an extra digit. If you try to edit, it looks as if it corrects. This may not be the only path to the error, but at least we see what you are seeing. We will fix this in the next update- thanks very much for bringing it up.

Ron

Last edited:
You are very welcome. Just in case smb else encounters the bug - just input all zeroes in pressure field, save and enter correct value again. Helped in my case.

Best regards,
Sergey

Same here had my Cobalt checked by LDS and no issues found and they replaced the face plate. Hopefully it works fine from now on.

I just got a new Cobalt and am diving the keys tomorrow. I can't get the battery to charge completely. It is connected correctly to a/c power, but it stops charging before 100%. Initially it stopped at 38% - I disconnected the charger then reconnected it. It charged to 46% then the display again reads "charging done" I have repeated this process about 8 times and I managed to get it to show battery status now at 70% (charging done) and I can't get it to charge any more.

What am I doing wrong? Should I be worried about diving with it?

I just got a new Cobalt and am diving the keys tomorrow. I can't get the battery to charge completely. It is connected correctly to a/c power, but it stops charging before 100%. Initially it stopped at 38% - I disconnected the charger then reconnected it. It charged to 46% then the display again reads "charging done" I have repeated this process about 8 times and I managed to get it to show battery status now at 70% (charging done) and I can't get it to charge any more.

What am I doing wrong? Should I be worried about diving with it?

It's not normal behavior, and it's not anything you are doing. My suspicions fall on possibly a bad battery, that may not be able to hold a full charge. You don't say how long it was on the charger- it should charge from completely empty on A/C in about two hours. There is a timeout on the charger that will stop it if it takes too long. See how much charge it loses overnight- typical would be 1-2%.

If this had been used before I might also want to rule out a leak of water into the battery compartment, but that's pretty unlikely with new production. I guess personally I would not be too worried about using it for a day or two and seeing how the charge holds up, so long as you have backup for essential safety needs. But I would definitely get it back to be checked, most likely you need a replacement battery.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, and please let me know what you find. We have not had a lot of batteries fail, but there have been some.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom