Backup Mask - Ever Had to Use While Solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easy, with practice. Place over eye with lower portion of lense pulled slightly off cheek. Look down at about a 45 degree angle and exhale through nose.

I am picturing you practicing this with a shot-glass stuck in your eye at some seedy bar, and the looks your getting from the young lady at the other end... :p

I don't understand how a mask in a pocket is a problem... We're not talking about carrying a 19cu pony !!!!! More like a cutting tool on your kit....

Jim....

"I am careful", "have it on the boat", "usually dive fresh water" - all very interesting responses. I subscribe strongly to the "better to have it and not need it" philosophy. it is a small item that goes in my L thigh pocket with my back-up computer. I have needed my back-up once after rolling in losing my mask during entry. It took all of 15 seconds to pull it out, put it on, and clear it. It caused zero commotion on the boat (vs having crew or captain dig through my stuff to find a spare), didn't cause undo stress to have to climb back out myself, and distant hold up anyone else on their dive day. I am very careful with my gear and my preparation when diving alone or even with my best dive buddy. I am my first line of defense against in-water issues.

I do carry one but never used one. It will be difficult to defog underwater :) but all kidding aside I like redundancy. I like the post because its now made me think to actually check the mask frequently to make sure it is functional.

Right pocket. Always carry it never had to use it.
I have a prescription mask as my main. My sight isn't so bad that I can't function without my prescription.

I have had an interesting experience along these lines. I had a backup mask that was brand new and a different brand and type from my regular dive mask and I had never dove with it before. I was out for 5 days on a liveaboard trip in the So Cal Channel Islands. On a random whim, I decided to try out my back up mask on a dive site that I dove previously. I put my usual mask into my BC pocket in the event that I was not happy with the new "backup" mask and figured I would swap out during the dive, if I was unhappy with the new backup mask. Knowing the dive site, I planned a straight descent down to a huge boulder field at 90 feet. As I began to descend, the mask started to squeeze my face immediately and I was unable to equalize it normally by blowing out through my nose. I was negatively buoyant and every foot resulted in additional and painful squeeze. I arrested the descent and made my way over to a location that I could easily and safely remove the backup mask and replace it with my normal mask and I continued my dive. The nose pocket on the new backup mask was very different from my normal mask and wouldn't allow me to equalize normally. I was very happy to have had my normal mask with me in the BC pocket and deal with the situation and continue the dive. I wasn't all that happy to get back on the boat after the dive and look into the mirror and realize that I'd be looking like a raccoon the rest of the trip due to 2 black eyes from the very short lived, but intense mask squeeze. LOL!

I don't understand how a mask in a pocket is a problem... We're not talking about carrying a 19cu pony !!!!! More like a cutting tool on your kit....

Jim....

I guess some of us just do not feel strongly we need a spare mask and can do without quite well. The spare mask, as you mention, then requires a pocket. I do not have a pocket for the mask. Therefore I have no spare mask. I cannot spare even a square (inch) of space for a pocket. It is just clutter. That is an opinion, but it is the one I adhere to. If I were to actually ever lose a mask, maybe I will change my mind but having never needed another mask, ever, I am running out of dive time to test that hypothesis.

N

I guess some of us just do not feel strongly we need a spare mask and can do without quite well. The spare mask, as you mention, then requires a pocket. I do not have a pocket for the mask. Therefore I have no spare mask. I cannot spare even a square (inch) of space for a pocket. It is just clutter. That is an opinion, but it is the one I adhere to. If I were to actually ever lose a mask, maybe I will change my mind but having never needed another mask, ever, I am running out of dive time to test that hypothesis.

N

If you don't feel the need or have a spot for it... I understand that.... I'm just really big on being able to fix problems on the fly... I'm the guy that has in his car or truck or Boat... Jumper cables, A full tool box, small air compressor, Tire repair kit, Ratchet straps, Pull chain, Spare headlights and other light bulbs / Fuses, A few spools of wire and crimps, Crank / Cam / Oil pressure sensors.. Fuel and air filters, Spare alternator and starter... AND A REAL JACK... And I have the knowledge how to fix anything...

Jim....

If you don't feel the need or have a spot for it... I understand that.... I'm just really big on being able to fix problems on the fly... I'm the guy that has in his car or truck or Boat... Jumper cables, A full tool box, small air compressor, Tire repair kit, Ratchet straps, Pull chain, Spare headlights and other light bulbs / Fuses, A few spools of wire and crimps, Crank / Cam / Oil pressure sensors.. Fuel and air filters, Spare alternator and starter... AND A REAL JACK... And I have the knowledge how to fix anything...
Jim....
What no spark plugs, gapper, timing light, snow chains, shovel, sand, extra clothing, spare tires and ePerb? Lol :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom