Bad Diving Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Therefore, my friends and I decided that we wanted to go away for our senior year of college spring break. A group of 5 of us went, 3 divers, Ryan, Bryce, and me. Bryce and I have been diving several times on 2 different trips. We felt comfortable diving with each other. Our friend ryan claimed before going that he was a diver and we just believed him. (last time I believe someone without looking at the diving log).

When we get to the hotel, RIU Carbie, we sign up for 1 day of diving. I tend to have some sinus problems so we pushed it back till Thursday. As we are all sitting at dinner on tuesday, we find out ryan has not been diving in 8 years since his certification. Bryce and I have been diving about once a year since our certification. I have around 50 dives under my belt (AOW, Nitrox), bryce has about 25 (OW). At this point, we are shocked that he considers himself a diver and thinks he is find to go diving. (all that is going through my mind is OMG he is an idiot).

On the day of the dive, we get on a dingy to bring us to the dive boat at another dock. We are sitting there talking to the dive master who tells us our first dive is going to a 80 foot wreck dive. Bryce only being an OW diver and has never done a dive over 45 feet brought up his concern. The dive master says don't worry you will be fine. Ryan goes i think it is fine. (Serious I don't think this kid remembers any of the OW course).

After we get on the main boat we wait for everyone to board and get their gear ready. As we are heading out to the wreck, another dive master on the boat (there were 2) says don't bring your snorkel, it is going to cause to much drag and isn't worth it. Ryan decides to leave his, Bryce and I take ours. (if my snorkel causes to much drag cause it is on my head and I run out of air, i am an idiot for not watching my air). most of the boat does not bring their snorkel.

As we get to the site the diver master tells us, "follow the line down and wait at the bottom, we will pair up at the bottom" Seems weird but whatever. I have to ask how the boat is on the bottom so i get gather a map of the site so i know where we are diving. He says here is the parliamentary partners, Bryce and I and Ryan and a person who is rescue diver certified. I feel comfortable having ryan and the rescue diver together, this way is something happens, he is with someone who should know what to do.

We jump off the boat, and all swim to the buoy and start to go down. This was the strongest current i have ever dove it. I was holding the line rather tightly and still was barely holding on. I slipped a couple of time off the line a couple of times.

When we get to the bottom, the first thing that dive master does is partner up people. then we go into the ship. Now if i remember PADI rules you are not to enter a place with having something above your head. We definitely would have had the boat on top of us. Bryce and I stayed outside as ryan the rescue diver follow the dive master in.

after swiming around the boat for a bit, we look over and our dive master says lets go up, with the rescue diver on his octopus. Turns out he ran out of air. After getting to the boat, we realize that 2 other people on the dive boat ran out of air. No one on the boat care. All of the people that ran out of air also didn't have their snorkel.

after a rather short interval, 25 minutes, we go on a drift dive. We see a nurse shark and as it swims by someone from our boat touches the shark. Again at the end of the dive, the rescue diver ends up with 100 PSI left and goes up early without his buddy. I ended with over 1000 PSI. When we surface, we notice that another person on the boat ran out of air too.

Luckily everyone on the boat came back alive

Problems:
Total people ran out of air: 4
Total number of times people ran out of air: 5
People constantly touching the reef and boat and wildlife

Items I learned:
Always look at new peoples diving log before you dive with them for the first time, even it you are good friends
Don't just take the hotel dive shop, do research before
Always bring your snorkel
Definitely don't go diving with RIU Carbie in Cancun

Dont let ANYONE, including Divemasters, tell you it's OK to dive beyond your certification, training, or COMFORT level. It's not! It is OK to say NO.

Thank you for posting your experience. Glad everyone came back safe.

Thanks, Soccer, glad you had your wits about you and enough sense to be concerned.

There is a reason that we push and push and push gas management on this board. The answer to not having enough gas is not a snorkel -- it's having some tools to plan, AND having the good habits to monitor one's gas.

We try to start that with OW students, by telling them we are going to swim up and ask them what their pressure is, and they are to tell us WITHOUT looking. This builds the habit of checking frequently, and I hope it stays with the students after they leave us.

Sounds like a bad time was had by all. Thanks for posting about it.

Your experience highlights the importance of not making assumptions, as well as the difficulties you can encounter with insta-buddies. You learned that cards do not equal skills, and that air hogs and inattentive divers come in all levels of certification. Fortunately, there was no bad outcome despite the problems.

I do not think the dive op did anything notably wrong, though. At least, not from what you posted. The DM is not a babysitter, and certified divers of any level are responsible for their own safety, and for ensuring that the dive is within their abilities.

Wow! I guess I'm surprised a diver at the level of rescue would run out of air twice. Did I read that right? I mean you would think that if you ran out of air the first dive you would be over checking on the second dive. Geez, that's bad!

There are a lot of people who only dive once a year or less out on dive boats. It's easy to forget what they learned but they never seem to take a refresher...like the friend who last dove 8 years ago. I agree with TSandM that it is very important to learn how to manage air and to check gauges frequently. So glad to hear everyone made it back to the boat without incident. BTW...I don't use my snorkel when wreck diving because it can get caught.

Sounds like Darwin was on that boat, sorting out the weak.

Log books can also lie. Stories of falsified log records are out there. Many folks, myself included, stopping the logging the entries on a paper log (mine is now electronic from dive computer). Most rec dives in logs don't have a certified instructor's stamp of approval or buddy's signature anyway. Even if it dis, they can also be falsified.

At 8 yrs since last dive, should have done at least a refresher in confined water before open but definately should have not been 85ft. Boat DM/shop should have been asking questions before accepting.

Back
Top Bottom