Bang Stick wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was going to be my question...why do you need a bangstick? My real question though is if they are legal in the US? I am not familiar with spear fishing laws since I am inland and my diving is in local lakes.

I would like to have the smaller handheld type version of bangstick to tuck away in a sheath for the "just in case scenario." For the same reason I have my concealed carry license... just in case I ever need it...not so I can go shootin up the place. Maybe I have misdjuged the questions as to why I want a bangstick but I read a couple of other old post on Bangsticks and it seems like all the liberal hearts were crying out because someone wants a "gun". They are legal items to posses and use and I should not have to explain why I would want a legal item so unless you are trying to assess what type I may need I think the question is irrelevant. They are not for "fishing" but for protection from sharks.
Anyways...I am looking for the handheld type that I saw once in my local shop and not one to mount on a pole/spear. It will be easier to attach and carry just like a knife. It was a .357 or .38 cal which should be fine for the rare chance I would need it.

why do you need protection from sharks?
Divers are blessed to see even sharks while diving. Are you spearfishing and think a bang stick is going to keep a shark from taking your catch? I don't understand why you want a weapon like this. :confused:

I don't understand why you want a weapon like this. :confused:

Why is this hard to understand? You buy one hoping you never need to use it and knowing you'll it will probably never be used. But if that very rare shark attack happens and a shark decides to chew on his leg, he'll be glad he has his bangstick.

Noticed the friendly caribbean reef shark in the background of my avatar, not usually a cause for concern. However last time I was in Maui a great white was spotted at Molokini a few days afterwards (a very rare occurrence). I would not want to be in the water with a gws and would feel a little safer making my way back to the boat with a bangstick should something happen.

sorry but I have been surrounded by sharks and never had one take a bite out of me. It just doesn't happen except in the movies. I just spent a week in Palau, sharks on every dive - from one or two to a school of over 50 on a dive. No one carried a bang stick, no one in Palau carries bang sticks. I have had sharks swim close to me to see what I was doing (obviously they have been fed before) but they never get too close, never a danger. The only time I have ever seen a diver carry a bang stick was in Bahamas on a shark feed, and it wasn't ever used and I have my doubt it was even loaded. I think the DM had it just to push the sharks away if they got close to any of the divers.

Carrying a bang stick on a dive "just in case a shark attacks" is so absurd.

huh...I think youve all be watching too many movies...taking too many mind altering substances makes you paranoid...a bang stick? is that like a big red sports car? I dont think a bang sticks gonna compensate...I think this gene pool needs some chlorine...if anything needs a bang stick its the sharks....however each to their own, dont blow ya foot off or ya buddies...watch out sharkies John Waynes comin to get ya....

all those incidents have to do with food being in the water. The OP said he was just diving and might have a shark attack him. He said he wasn't going to be spearfishing. That is what I was referring to in my comment. Yes, people get attacked by sharks, but only when there is a stimulant in the water.

And what exactly are you gonna be bangsticking? Lots of different sizes depending on what is trying to eat you. I have .357 and a .223, but what I really want is a Farallon Shark Dart which has long been banned by name by most govenments in the free world.

I had some friends that tested them when they first came out. They were impressed by the performance they weren't impressed by the result, one very PO'd shark on the surface, that couldn't submerge-thrashing at anything in sight. It popped up right next to the boat.

Powerheads are dangerous, a little carelessness can cause a lot of damage

Sept 2007
Pray for Mark! - Spearboard Spearfishing Community

Feb 2008
Pray for Mark! - Page 9 - Spearboard Spearfishing Community

all those incidents have to do with food being in the water. The OP said he was just diving and might have a shark attack him. He said he wasn't going to be spearfishing. That is what I was referring to in my comment. Yes, people get attacked by sharks, but only when there is a stimulant in the water.

You obviously did not read them. In the first three, there was no spearing , chumming nor spearing even planned. In the 4th, there was a speared fish. In the 5th, it's not clear if any fish were speared. In the 6th, he was planning to spear fish, but never did. Giving you the benefit of the doubt on story #5, there was no food (except for the divers) in the water in 66% of those incidents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom